HMS Dreadnought returns

Shar2

The Type 45s are D class, so unless the Type 26 frigates have bagged it, the next class ought to start with E.  That puts Dreadnought a bit off-piste.  But then, so was the last submarine of that name, and the systematic naming of the Type 22 and Type 23 frigates went a bit awry too.

I did like the piece on-line that said there had been eight ships called HMS Dreadnought, of which the most famous was probably HMS Dreadnought.

• Like 4

On 22/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, grahamwalker said:

Quiet a lot of D names have been used, 1st to spring to mind is Devastation,  Defence, Defender, Defiance, Drake + many more

We already have a Type 45 named Defender, with a shore bases called Drake and Defiance. Admirable though it sounds, Dreadnought is the wrong name in this instance

2 hours ago, Stealthman said:

We already have a Type 45 named Defender, with a shore bases called Drake and Defiance. Admirable though it sounds, Dreadnought is the wrong name in this instance

Seems to me the MOD are going for public attention-grabbing names. Therefore I really think Warspite and Churchill are in with a shout for the following 3 hulls. For me Royal Oak and Hood are too jinxed. An outside chance for Fearless. What about Nelson ?

I do hope we dont end up with an HMS Ark Royal SSBN. That would be a totally inappropriate use of the name.

12 minutes ago, alpine_modeller said:

Seems to me the MOD are going for public attention-grabbing names. Therefore I really think Warspite and Churchill are in with a shout for the following 3 hulls. For me Royal Oak and Hood are too jinxed. An outside chance for Fearless. What about Nelson ?

I do hope we dont end up with an HMS Ark Royal SSBN. That would be a totally inappropriate use of the name.

Sadly they named the carriers QE and POW so the only option to retain the most famous and well loved name in the RN is to put it on a sub. Bearing in mind the SSBNs are classed as Capital Warships these days it might be appropriate.

I remember when they ran the competition for the carrier names and amongst the entries were HMS Millennium Falcon and HMS Galaxy Blaster :lol:

Then they announced the chosen names QE and POW around the same time as a commemorative edition of the Times from the time of Trafalgar was issued which listed ships like: Agamemnon, Mars, Victory, Conqueror, Revenge! Which felt like 'proper' warship names!

Edited by Nocoolname
Missing text

If I remember correctly, the cancelled CVA-01's from the '70's were probably going to be called QE and PoW. Therefore I'm not altogether surprised that the new pair used those names.

As for the SSBN, Dreadnought is as good a name as any other. Most people on the street may have heard the name via history at school - WW1 and the preceding arms race was covered in Scottish Standard Grade History during 3rd and 4th year at Secondary. As for what's covered in the History syllabus now, I have no idea.

Mike.

8 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

The names should reflect the boats role as our deterrent (ultimate) weapon 

Dreadnought

Vengeance

Revenge 

Vigilant 

Letsd have proper names not something bland and PC 

First, if you can point to even one example of the Navy using something "bland and PC", I'll be very surprised.

Second, do you not think Vengeance and Revenge are a little repetitive?

• Like 1

I don't know if it was bland or PC but I seem to remember a bit of furore a while back about a Type 22 being called Beaver with some being concerned about calling warships after small furry animals.   It also greatly  amused the USN where the word has some completely different associations ............

Agamemnon is Astute-6.

Revenge, Vigilant and Venegeance have been used on previous generations of British SSBNs.

For me, it has to be carrier or battleship names to stress their capital / strategic nature. When you filter down those that didnt come-a-cropper on their last incarnation, the list is limited.

Eagle and Ark Royal would just not be right.

Illustrious and Invincible to make a relatively immediate return, perhaps along with Indomitable ??

If they are going to use follow on names for SSNs after Dreadnought then Valiant and Warspite came next followed by Churchill, Conqueror and Courageous. However in these days of political correctness I see Warspite not being used for an SSBN. I always thought that Vanguard, Vigilant and Vengeance were the most appropriate names for the Trident boats considering their role, Victorious not so. 

Following from alpine-modellers comment above I cannot see Illustrious being a name ever being applied to anything other than an Aircraft Carrier, similar to Ark Royal. The Fleet Arm Arm, effectively "own" those names now through history.

• Like 2

On 27/10/2016 at 10:53 AM, Panzer Vor!!! said:

The names should reflect the boats role as our deterrent (ultimate) weapon 

Dreadnought

Vengeance

Revenge 

Vigilant 

Letsd have proper names not something bland and PC 

2 of the current SSBNs are named Vengeance and Vigilant, it'seems not going to be easy to come up with 3 more famous names starting with 'D'. Warspite sounds great, and perhaps Ark Royal, and if the RN publicity machine really goes to town  - Hood??

HMS Vengeance was actually renamed HMS Valiant in the current Vanguard class.

if we get technical Astute class is the new A class, therefore the next class is B class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy_(B)

so we could have;

HMS Broadsword,

HMS Banshee

HMS Beware

HMS Bloodhound

for example

Chris

Hmm, hardly stir the blood, do they?  And I think Broadsword and Bloodhound (renamed HMS London before launch) are a bit too recent to be recycled.  How about Dreadnought plus Courageous, Furious and Glorious?  It will be a while before we need the names for aircraft carriers and at least Dreadnought and Courageous have SSN pedigree.    Against that, raining nuclear death on people, regardless of the circumstances, might not be considered a glorious act.    

55 minutes ago, whitestar12chris said:

HMS Vengeance was actually renamed HMS Valiant in the current Vanguard class.

Not sure where you got that one from Chris. The Royal Navy website identifies the youngest of the SSBNs as HMS Vengeance http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/the-fighting-arms/submarine-service/ballistic-submarines/hms-vengeance.

• Like 1

Hi Paul, i stand corrected, one of my reference books on RN submarines quote HMS Vengeance, later Valiant, same with Vigilant to Venerable. It was in the pipeline at some point.

Well while checking this, barrow list the new class as Dreadnought, so B & C class circumvented.

http://rnsubs.co.uk/boats/subs/dreadnought2-class.html

All the best Chris