Action at Nery 1914

From the excellent Tommy's Models Company.  Depicts  a skirmish fought on 1 September 1914. Part of the retreat from Mons during the early stages of the 1st WW. A single gun of L Battery RHA successfully kept up a steady fire for two and a half hours against a full battery of German artillery. British reinforcements arrived at around 8 am, counter-attacking the German forces and forcing them to retreat; the German division was routed and did not return to combat for several days. Three men of L Battery were awarded the Victoria Crossfor their part in the battle, and the battery itself was later awarded the honour title of "Néry", the only British Army unit to have this as a battle honour.  

IMG_5161_1.jpg

Nery_1.jpg

IMG_5178_1.jpg

IMG_5182_1.jpg

_MG_5294_1.jpg

Nery3a_1.jpg

Edited by Clogged
Wanted to improve intorduction
  • Like 28

Well done - as a former member of L (Néry) Bty can I say that your diorama looks marvellous and a fitting tribute to the courage of Captain Bradbury, BSM Dorrell and Sgt Nelson.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about the affair at Néry there is a good description at:

http://www.lneryoca.org.uk/page_322793.html

This includes a photo of the whole battery taken prior to their departure for France in August 1914. I have always found this moving - just over two weeks later many of those pictured would be dead or wounded.  L Bty was decimated at Néry, withdrawn to England and reconstituted in time to join the Gallipoli expedition.  But that is another story....

Sorry for thread drift - an excellent diorama, thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Superb and effective dio, and I'm sure that Stix's work on the photos will be appreciated. Damn good stuff!

Now, I wouldn't mind some of my dio photos modified, enlarged and printed up for framing!

Rearguards,

Badder.

EDIT.... I meant Eddie's photos.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Clogged, you've really made an excellent job of this, the figures and the field gun are exquisite ! !  Every bit of it goes together to make a brilliant dio and Tommy's War have produced a real gem here.

BillyD

Thanks for the comments.  There are a few things I would improve on.  The Tommy Models  kit is made of resin which was something fairly new to me.  I prefer plastic as the resin parts require more effort to separate and trim cleanly.  I managed to lose one of the gunners right arms! therefore I used a replacement arm from another kit but I still left the arm looking a little out of scale.  See if you can spot it in the photo.  Plus the figures still look too glossy and require more of a matt finish.  Finally the tufts of grass could look a little more natural.

Tommy's models are fanatstic in detail and sculpture, however the insrtuctions for assembling the gun was challenging to say the least.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...