1/48 - North American P-51D/F-51D & Mustang lV/P-51K by Airfix - released

Homebee

My kit arrived today.  What a smashing kit indeed.   :thumbsup:

It's clear however that Airfix are not aiming this kit at the pocket money brigade. I can't see younger kids having an easy time building it.

Although my build schedule is pretty full, I will be starting this one at the weekend.

Edit:  I also wonder if Airfix are making things easy for AM resin manufacturers to provide extra parts for the kit.   The fin assembly is just crying out for someone to make a filletless fin in resin.

• Like 1

Got my example today. I am the happy owner of all the kits that exist in 1/48 and have already built almost all of those, excluding the more resent MENG one.

To put this as simple as possible: they nailed it!

Yes, the engraved lines are a little on the heavy side. But I love this! I will just have to be careful with my wash, not to overdo it (or even not do it at all).

Yes, there are panels on the wings. So there are to all other kits I know. And by the way, my birdy will be war weary and will have them as expected...

Yes, the plastic is a kind of on the soft side. Even better for those that want to play nurse and doctor with it!

I love this one!

Edited by DIO

I see Airfix continue to have problems with there fastener location. Some of them run into panel lines and the access panels on the tail have them in the corners blending into the lines. They just don't seem to be able to mold things very accurately at the moment.

P62%20P-51D%20Mustang%20Airfix-Dhm%20kit

On the subject of fillet-less tails, having looked at the video which Mungo posted it looks like it would be relatively easy to convert one of then by infilling in the back of each half with something like Milliput then cutting off the fillet, I did something similar with the Tamiya kit many years ago.

John 

3 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I see Airfix continue to have problems with there fastener location. Some of them run into panel lines and the access panels on the tail have them in the corners blending into the lines. They just don't seem to be able to mold things very accurately at the moment.

That tail fillet is very crude in comparison the rest of the detail albeit it is slightly heavy handed treatment. I will wait for the fillet less tail version to be released and stay with my Hasegawa and Tamiya stash for the rest of my models

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tbolt said:

There is no perfect kit. Even this issue is rather insignificant if compared e.g. with Tamiya's step-like flaps!

And by the way, I believe this one is not a bug but an unintended feature, to test our medelling skills lol.

Edited by DIO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DIO said:

There is no perfect kit. Even this issue is rather insignificant if compared e.g. with Tamiya's step-like flaps!

And by the way, I believe this one is not a bug but an unintended feature, to test our medelling skills lol.

Thers no perfect kit, but it seems like Airfix are going backwards with some of their molding and it's more work to fill and rescribe all this than fixing the Tamiya flaps.

I'll be buying the Eduard kit and spend the extra effort on correcting the Sea Fury kit if that's molded like this one.

5 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Thers no perfect kit, but it seems like Airfix are going backwards with some of their molding and it's more work to fill and rescribe all this than fixing the Tamiya flaps.

I'll be buying the Eduard kit and spend the extra effort on correcting the Sea Fury kit if that's molded like this one.

I will buy anything that is 1/48 mustang (although I did not buy HobbyBoss one).

Here you can see the other side of the fin - look how bad the fasteners are they almost completely miss the leading edge stab fairing! It's like Airfix have saved some money by doing away with QC.

airfixa05131reviewjh_8.jpg

I loved Airfix's Spit and Hurricane, the P-40 had a few misplaced fasteners but most of it was pretty good but this just looks sloppy.

Edited by Tbolt

I guess this is a sign of the modelling times, we now nitpick over a couple of misplaced dimples. Obviously expectations have grown from the days when ‘it looks like a Scrugs Wonderplane’ so it will do. There does seem to be a large degree of ‘brand bashing’ if it’s Trumpeter it will be inaccurate (ok often with some justification) if it’s Airfix there will be QC issues, fit issues because it’s too tight a fit, over engineered and probably trenches, if it’s Hasegawa it won’t be as good as Tamiya, will cost two arms and a leg and obviously nothing compares to ZM. Strange that the new Tamiya Bf109G is already clearly better than the Eduard, on the basis of a few photos, but Airfix’s Spitfire Mk1 and Hurricane in 1:48 never get the credit due for their accuracy. 

Personally I’ll buy lots of Airfix P51’s and a couple of fixings won’t worry me, I’d rather support Airfix, buy what according to those who know is the best kit overall and hopefully help keep them in business to produce more Sea Fury’s, and Victors......

• Like 13

I am sure that someone will come up with a replacement tail, probably fillet-less,  which might address the issue of the fasteners, if not I would rather deal with them than have to fill in 100s of wing rivets which shouldn't be visible. 

John

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

It's the 80/20 rule in action.

Why spend 80% of your time and treasure on the last 20% needed to achieve perfection when 80% of the customer base won't notice at all (and most of the rest won't care anyway)?

Airfix is a business. They're doing well by all accounts even though Hornby has its problems in other areas, meaning that money is simply not available to go through multiple QC iterations making smaller and smaller adjustment to make a tiny, tiny proportion of their "customers" happier. Especially when they (and I) suspect that there are "customers" out there who would never deign to buy a kit that wasn't their idea of perfect so from the manufacturers point of view will not be a lost sale

Shae

Edited by Shane
Left out a phrase
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, GordonM said:

It Airfix’s Spitfire Mk1 and Hurricane in 1:48 never get the credit due for their accuracy.

Not sure what you're on about here.

The Airfix Spitfire I is very accurate and gets credit for that. It is usually pointed out that the Airfix kit avoids the well known shape errors of the Tamiya equivalent, so no Tamiya whitewash there.

The Airfix Hurricane has a few completely unnecessary errors for which it is reasonably criticised. Of course you can still have fun buidling it and you may or may not be bothered. The Hasegawa kit is also regularly mentioned as having its accuracy problems, so no whitewash there (ditto the significantly less good Italeri kit).

I haven't seen anyone with any reputation on here slag off recent Airfix kits unjustly while ignoring shape errors in rival kits.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Not sure what you're on about here.

The Airfix Spitfire I is very accurate and gets credit for that. It is usually pointed out that the Airfix kit avoids the well known shape errors of the Tamiya equivalent, so no Tamiya whitewash there.

The Airfix Hurricane has a few completely unnecessary errors for which it is reasonably criticised. Of course you can still have fun buidling it and you may or may not be bothered. The Hasegawa kit is also regularly mentioned as having its accuracy problems, so no whitewash there (ditto the significantly less good Italeri kit).

I haven't seen anyone with any reputation on here slag off recent Airfix kits unjustly while ignoring shape errors in rival kits.

My point was - according to a fair few posts on here this kit is not worth bothering with, and this started long before the detractors even saw the plastic as is usual. Much of it seems to be aimed at Airfix per se, with a raft of negative comments about features other manufacturers have also included (wings not being puttied for example) Tamiya’s P51 has been quoted as being ‘better’ despite its age, because the new Airfix kit is not absolutely perfect. 

• Like 2

There is no perfect kit, but realistically speaking, my model making ability will do more to ruin this kit than any minor moulding issues, and I am sorry but these really are minor issues. 

Some members of this site must have palpitations when they see how odd shaped the Tamiya Spitfire is, but at least the rivets are straight on the panels.  QA great but but the designer needs new specs !!  But I enjoyed making it still.

However these are all only a toy for the slightly bigger boy, but toys none the less.  And whatever happens the world will continue to turn.     

• Like 8

5 hours ago, GordonM said:

My point was - according to a fair few posts on here this kit is not worth bothering with, and this started long before the detractors even saw the plastic as is usual. Much of it seems to be aimed at Airfix per se, with a raft of negative comments about features other manufacturers have also included (wings not being puttied for example) Tamiya’s P51 has been quoted as being ‘better’ despite its age, because the new Airfix kit is not absolutely perfect. 

I haven't seen any negative post aimed directly at Airfix - what you need to understand here is that with three new P-51D kits and all of them getting things right that previous kit didn't, I would love Airfix to do well and sell plenty of kits it's but it's disappointing that Airfix has been let down by its moulding quality yet again especially when they seem to have done a good job of the thing that is hard to get right  - accuracy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GordonM said:

I guess this is a sign of the modelling times, we now nitpick over a couple of misplaced dimples. Obviously expectations have grown from the days when ‘it looks like a Scrugs Wonderplane’ so it will do. There does seem to be a large degree of ‘brand bashing’ if it’s Trumpeter it will be inaccurate (ok often with some justification) if it’s Airfix there will be QC issues, fit issues because it’s too tight a fit, over engineered and probably trenches, if it’s Hasegawa it won’t be as good as Tamiya, will cost two arms and a leg and obviously nothing compares to ZM. Strange that the new Tamiya Bf109G is already clearly better than the Eduard, on the basis of a few photos, but Airfix’s Spitfire Mk1 and Hurricane in 1:48 never get the credit due for their accuracy. 

Personally I’ll buy lots of Airfix P51’s and a couple of fixings won’t worry me, I’d rather support Airfix, buy what according to those who know is the best kit overall and hopefully help keep them in business to produce more Sea Fury’s, and Victors......

Well said that man. I thought the Airfix 1/48 Hurricane was a doozy - thoroughly enjoyed building it, looks like wot it supposed to, price was spot on (mind you that was during the Airfix 2015 fire sale where Ready for Battle sets were being flogged for less than £20) one of my Top Five kits of all time.

Time was when people admired someone for making a good fist of a 'normal' kit as opposed to it being a wallet battle and spending lots of cash on the latest wundermodelbau then twice as much again on etch, resin, wartime air, NOS paint and original pilots underpants to kit it out with :)

Maybe I is old. But then I brush paint still and I deserve to be flogged. 

As I said above, IMHO the Meng surface detail is better, but the internal Airfix detail is better. AND its got bazoooookas! Bring on the Sea Fury!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, boom175 said:

I'M not going to let a few misplaced fasteners stop my enjoyment of this kit. 

Likewise, I'm gonna fill 'em!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

There is no perfect kit, but realistically speaking, my model making ability will do more to ruin this kit than any minor moulding issues

It's like looking in a mirror!  :D 

• Like 2

Arguments about accuracy of panel lines, fastener positions and the rest always make me smile. If you want 100% accuracy then any scale model won't cut it, you need to build 1:1. As soon as you start reducing scale compromises have to be made which are purely subjective, as such it's like arguing over your favourite music/sports team or food.

While my brain was being treated I part-built about 60 models and stopped all of them because of some tiny detail that I couldn't reconcile. Once I accepted that model-making is subjective and there is rarely a right answer I started enjoying the hobby again.

Yes, there are a few errors in detail that wouldn't have been considered a few years ago but, honestly we're not talking major work to correct it. Mustang wings are laminar flow and all joins and fasteners were filled before painting, (except presumably those that had to be opened frequently,) but nobody mentions that. It's no big deal to me to fill them with filler primer and scrub back. Same as you should do with the craters on the Eduard Spitfire's wing leading edge.

The people at Airfix are doing the best they can and a little praise would do no harm. Ranting on about a tiny detail must be demoralising especially when you'll be asking for a specific subject to be covered next.

Rant mode off.

Remember you will get more ants with honey than vinegar.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Arguments about accuracy of panel lines, fastener positions and the rest always make me smile. If you want 100% accuracy then any scale model won't cut it, you need to build 1:1. As soon as you start reducing scale compromises have to be made which are purely subjective, as such it's like arguing over your favourite music/sports team or food.

While my brain was being treated I part-built about 60 models and stopped all of them because of some tiny detail that I couldn't reconcile. Once I accepted that model-making is subjective and there is rarely a right answer I started enjoying the hobby again.

Yes, there are a few errors in detail that wouldn't have been considered a few years ago but, honestly we're not talking major work to correct it. Mustang wings are laminar flow and all joins and fasteners were filled before painting, (except presumably those that had to be opened frequently,) but nobody mentions that. It's no big deal to me to fill them with filler primer and scrub back. Same as you should do with the craters on the Eduard Spitfire's wing leading edge.

The people at Airfix are doing the best they can and a little praise would do no harm. Ranting on about a tiny detail must be demoralising especially when you'll be asking for a specific subject to be covered next.

Rant mode off.

Remember you will get more ants with honey than vinegar.

No one is talking about 100% accuracy - we are talking about what looks like poor tooling. I suspect the CAD has been done well they are just not getting what they were after on the final product. Some of Airfix kits have been great, this one just seems to be let down a little. Sure they are not big problems just a little bit disappointing when everything about their kits are getting better.

Sad to see how many people do not accept that there are different approaches people have to their hobby, thus the same kit is differently viewed.

Even more sad that this leads to active misunderstanding of arguments and invalidations of the opinion of others, only because of... I don't know. I don't feel compelled to be the defender of any company's businesses.

And more directly on the subject at hand I also am slightly saddened to see Airfix currently having troubles to reach quality levels they already reached. Will certainly not prevent me from buying their Sea Fury, but for the Mustang there are better alternatives for me. Unfortunately!

• Like 1

The other thing we sometimes forget  when looking at a model is what I call the ' scale distance '. In 1/48 this means that you would be looking at the real aircraft from a distance of 48 feet when looking at your model from a distance of one foot, think of  how much of the fine detail would be seen then.

When the RAF painted their Phantoms grey they started to look scruffy pretty quickly especially around panel lines, but this was reduced quite dramatically when viewed from a moderate distance.

John

PS. Yes I agree that the surface detail is better on the Meng kit, but there is also a lot more of it on the wings which needs to be removed to achieve the correct surface finish.

• Like 1