Concorde 1/72 - Heller, no Airfix, no Revell

CedB

Good luck, Ced :). Thank you for the DA quotes - i enjoyed them immensely. Sorry to hear about the traffic shennigans - I dare say that's what happens when you try to cram 55 million people into an area the size of twice that of the State of Tasmania, or a bit under two-thirds ofnthe area of the State of Victoria. That's mindboggling. It's now wonder that you have traffic - and other - problems. Wow!

And yet, many parts of England still are able to give the impression of being green and pleasant. No doubt because there are even more congested areas....

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- contentedly grazing in green and pleasant pastures?

• Like 2

On 03/11/2016 at 23:31, Nigel Heath said:

The "skinned over" windown was just an optical illusion caused by plastic in the background. Sorry for any confusion.

Interestingly, I had exactly the same reaction to the windows as you, Nigel - and nearly commented on it, but forgot. Some of them really did look flashed or partly-flashed over. Trick of the light.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

So slow sometimes that one day someone will enter it in the diorama section at Telford...

Second placed diorama will be one of the Brynglas tunnels on the M4 in Newport on a Friday afternoon. So slow you sometimes think you're going backwards....!

There's some clever looking engineering in the kit Ced, hope it wobbles less when glue is applied!

Keith

• Like 6

And yet, many parts of England still are able to give the impression of being green and pleasant. No doubt beacuse theeremare even more congested areas....

There is still plenty of green and pleasant land left in the UK, largely thanks to the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act. Its one of the most far sighted and precient acts of British law and has largely prevented the urban sprawl so evident in countries like the USA. See Bill Bryson's excellent book "The Road to Little Dribbling", a highly recommended read, for more info.

• Like 6

Thanks Nigel, Alex and Keith :)

It does amaze me that people think the UK is crowded... they "need to get out more" IMHO. Certainly if you look out of aeroplane windows there's lots of space. It's just that everyone crowds together and want to get to work, or home, at the same time AND we don't have a very good traffic management systems. Hopefully the techies will sort it out when they've finished doing new effects on Snapchat.

/end grumpy old man

• Like 5

Ced

I have dry fitted most of mine together to get some idea of fit etc. One thing that occurs to me is that those pins may not give a great deal of support to the upper wing. I was thinking of gluing some square section rod between the pins to form a ledge that the wing can rest on. I may also drill sme holes in the side panels to fit some sprue spars - this long joint looks potentially prone to cracking at a later date...

Watch out for an issue with the rear fuselage part that 'could' see the tail sitting off of 90 degrees to the fuselage. If you take a ruler, line it up with the seams on the front end of the rear fuselage the tail should be in line with the ruler. Some folk have cut off the tail and glued it back on at the correct angle... My sense is that on some kits there is a lot of subtle warpage that can easily throw things off.

Another thing I noticed on the tail is that, for some reason, Airfix/Heller have tooled it with a flat area running along the bottom. On the real machine this area appears curved as is the rest of the visible lower fuselage... Panels lines are deep enough to allow a bit of sanding to bring back some curvature without losing them...

I am currently hacking the nose around to, at least, visually1 address a couple of issues... :)

Matt

1 I say visually because there appear to be no accurate scale drawings to actually check things against.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

There is still plenty of green and pleasant land left in the UK, largely thanks to the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act. Its one of the most far sighted and precient acts of British law and has largely prevented the urban sprawl so evident in countries like the USA. See Bill Bryson's excellent book "The Road to Little Dribbling", a highly recommended read, for more info.

Thank you for the link, Nigel :). Over here, they change - or make - laws for the benefit of developers, multinational corporations, and other rich entities. It's a complete disgrace. One currently-popular wheeze is to set up coal mines and gas-fracking in water catchment areas, the Great Artesian Basin, and prime farmland. Not to mention what's happening to the Great Barrier Reef. The various townships along the Queensland coat are going to have an amusing time. Oh well, went it all goes pear-shaped and our arable land vanishes into the continent-wide abyss, we can import all of our food, water and concrete for flooding abatement from China instead. Excellent. As a trained ag scientist, it makes my blood boil. And I haven't mentioned the Roads That Ate SydneyTM (yet). And this isn't the best place in which to do that (and I would get Banned :banned: for certain sure).

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Nigel, Alex and Keith :)

It does amaze me that people think the UK is crowded... they "need to get out more" IMHO. Certainly if you look out of aeroplane windows there's lots of space. It's just that everyone crowds together and want to get to work, or home, at the same time AND we don't have a very good traffic management systems. Hopefully the techies will sort it out when they've finished doing new effects on Snapchat.

/end grumpy old man

Nice :). Ouch! See also my comments to Nigel. Ours are probably either on Facebook or looking for pictures of ---------, ----------, or ---------- and --------- with a ------------ in a --------------. Using a ------------. Or similar. (I wish I could work out how to make the background colour black for a nice, smart 'redacted/censored' look - I used to be able to I think, but maybe that was the Oz Woodworkers' Forums.

Sorry about the diatribe: I get cross about short-sightedness, especially from those who are supposed to be running the joint, but are in fact running it into the ground. Life's a wossname, etc., etc.

Now, wasn't there something about something called a Concorde...? Back to normal(?) programming.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- looking for new pastures after the old ones got dug up or caved in...

• Like 6

Been following this everyday and i have risen to the challenge of asking the missus for a concorde. Im yet to mention the size haha. Great work so far mate really enjoying your build and will be continously following till the bitter but thankful end. 😂😂😂

Graham

Edited by Graham316
Poor grammer
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 0:47 PM, keefr22 said:

Second placed diorama will be one of the Brynglas tunnels on the M4 in Newport on a Friday afternoon. So slow you sometimes think you're going backwards....!

Ah Brynglas tunnels, nothing says you're nearly home like wafting through the tunnels like a herd of meandering gazelles..... No wait... that's a dream.... 

• Like 3

Thanks Alex :)

Thanks Graham - I would wait until the end before you take the plunge! :)

Thanks Leon :D 

I really need to get on with this - just moving it around is getting me nowhere. To that end I attached the strengtheners with latex glue for the final dry fit:

30684244251_d6fdc062b9_z.jpg

If the resultant dry fit shows that the strengtheners give a correct fit to the lower wing, nose and tail I'm going to GLUE IT! While you're fumbling with the fuselage make sure you don't put it down and break off the antenna on the top:

30735835646_5a65ce0827_z.jpg

Ask me how I know.

I've used up my patience this afternoon fixing Mrs B's clock. Bought a new movement from the web. Of course the new hands are too big and the original ones have holes that are too small:

30141225384_208d2aa8e8_z.jpg

After some time (clock pun) I had the old hands fitted and everything working. I then pushed on the glass and the whole lot went POP across the bench. Do it again...

It seems to be OK now. I've saved the spare parts too - you never know when you need a spare pair of hands.

• Like 8

Deary me CedB looks like time is waiting for no man in rrspect to both the clock and the concorde. And dont worry ive been told i got to wait till christmas along with my first airbrush and other little requests😉😉 once again great work so far mate.

Graham

• Like 2

Thanks Graham - hopefully Santa will be good to you! :)

So, fitting the beast as promised. I'll just show you the results and then have a rest so you can comment if you wish:

30775919345_fca7a7b76d_n.jpg30140418723_1198393c1b_n.jpg

30140428773_7ee820e9d8_n.jpg30687717101_ff5004a20c_n.jpg

Nose and tail

30140495413_ae2b4b3007_z.jpg

30140541873_3af29fb0f5_z.jpg

I was worried about the steps between the tail and the fuselage at the bottom:

30140541873_3af29fb0f5_n.jpg30687890981_67c8452857_n.jpg

but it actually spaces the wing join:

30659337062_5be6b07e42_z.jpg

I'm categorising those joins as 'not too bad with a bit of care'. Tomorrow is Saturday so I get a calm morning listening to 'Saturday Live'. There may be some glue in my future... if I can find some room:

30739556916_20279939ff_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 12

Fit doesn't look too bad Ced, you should have it finished by Sunday...!! :D

And you've reminded me that Ineed to get a clock movement for the missus too. Funny how when you build models that jobs like that are always seen as easy by t'other half...!!

Keith

• Like 3

Thanks Keith and sorry for the reminder! :) Amazon have a good range here which I wished I'd looked at in more detail and chosen the right shaft length and hands. Ho hum.

Thanks Simon :) Quite right, quite right. I'm sure they'll be some filler needed somewhere and I really must join the fuselage top and sand it before I put the wings on to reduce the amount of fighting required later.

Thanks Leon and Benedikt :) Big, it is. Having decided on using the stand I keep looking for places where it will fit. So far the garden is looking favourite...

• Like 2

You're welcome Keith :) "wouldn't have thought of that" - me neither, great minds think alike!

Thanks Alex and John - more later (I hope!) :) 

• Like 1

You really have got a whopper on your hands there Ced! :lol: Are you going to have enough room to paint it...or indeed enough paint for that matter? 

Any thoughts on who might be behind those little windows? My own vote would be for a range of 80s celebrities, to scale.

Excellent work. :thumbsup2: 

Tony

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

You really have got a whopper on your hands there Ced! :lol: Are you going to have enough room to paint it...or indeed enough paint for that matter? 

Any thoughts on who might be behind those little windows? My own vote would be for a range of 80s celebrities, to scale.

Excellent work. :thumbsup2: 

Tony

I may be wrong (normally the case); Wasn't it the case that some of the original 'Live Aid' celebrities played in the U.K., then flew on Concorde to play live on the U.S. Live Aid stage?

Elton John? Madonna? As an alternative, those two for pilot and co-pilot? (Joking ;) ).

Vast. It's vast :o !

TonyT

• Like 2

Vast is right! Good job it comes it white plastic, quick micromesh then on with the transfers? Just like back in the day.... No?

i will also be at Telford on the Saturday and very much looking to the m5 m6 junction, I must say after driving to and from Walsall for 3 years I am used to it and Saturday is the best day to attack it! I will have to give you a bell Ced and say hi!

Rob

• Like 1