Oil rig supply ship kits.

Hello All, this is a general enquiry about what kits are available on the subject of oil rig supply boats and anchor handling supply boats?  

I could of course search the Internet but I thought I would try and ask the experts first.  

I am an aircraft modeller and have never made a ship model before but would love to have a go. 

As a background to this enquiry I used to work on oil rig supply ships in a former life, and so have a soft spot for the type.  

I would love to see any models of these types that fellow modellers have done? 

Thanks Andrew. 

Edited by Bear Paw
Missing word

The only thing I can think of is that some fishing side trawlers were converted for use as oil rig supply ships in the past, so a trawler model kit may be possible for conversion,  but other than that I'm not aware of anything suitable.

http://grantontrawlers.com/Trawlers/Ross Kittiwake GY 678.htm

Ross%20Kittiwake%20jp.jpg

RevellNorthSeaFishingTr_2DD.jpg

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

Revell did an oil rig kit, and are perhaps the only mainline company producing modern civilian ships - mainly German ones, but there may be something suitable.  If not in their present range, then in what they have done in fairly recent years/decades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Heller did two models of Smit tugs both would be good basis for conversion 

Found them 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heller-80620-Model-High-Schlepper-Rotterdam/dp/B0002HZYQQ

Thank you, I had colleagues that worked on both of these ships- they are much bigger ocean going tugs. They were on call at all time for salvage.  

Here is the type of vessel I am talking about.  Incidentally this vessel is in the middle of a rig movement as it has the pennant bouys on deck from the rigs anchors. B5EBF87C-A080-47E9-A42C-1126D0C628E2_zps

• Like 2

Unfortunately Mike very few this one is not from my time with Swires Offshore but a modern version of the ships I was on.  I never carried a camera during my whole time at sea, destroyed three so never bothered after that. The very few photos I do have were taken by others people and were prints. I think it may be time to see what I do have?  I will post any that I find.  

• Like 1

This kind of ships (and bouy tender/tugs as well) can be seen ofter as paper models. Not sure how your modeling skills are, but a possibility could be to buy one of them, and use is as "framework" for some scratch building. Scale can be adjusted by copying with a zoom factor.

For instance, something like this: http://store.jsc.pl/productcart/dutch-anchor-handling-towing-supply-vessel-ievoli-black-jsc-291

But maybe a bit difficoult for a first ship.

Alex

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ancient mariner said:

Highland%20Valour_zpspmbc91pw.jpg

Far%20Scout_zpsj7iomnfb.jpg

Highland%20Valour%202_zps97jz3e2q.jpg

I have done this manoeuvre many many times mostly in weather that is slightly more 'interesting ' than in the photos. Holding the position was interesting even more so without the kurt nozzles.  You have to relie on the skill of the crane driver in the bad weather.  

I can not find any plastic scale models of this type of ship, there are plenty in the much larger mixed media R/C models - much too big and just not what I want.  

Could I make a request to any manufacturers out there to fill a gap in the market.  What scale would produce a 45cm kit?  The equipment on these boats and their liveries are very varied.  

Which company would be the best at producing this kind of kit?  

Andrew. 

MIne too ;) Sailed for nearly 10 years on Supply vessels, Ocean going tugs and Heavy lift vessels.

Great little ships. See that the ships you sailed on had Karm forks for anchor work, we were still using Pelican hooks when I left (heavy b***** things). Looks like a Bruce anchor in your last photo, fun to work with with all the mud they carried aboard.............................

We had pelican hooks - the photo I showed here was the modern version of the ships I was on. I have no photos. I have a scare on my chest where a 4 foot crow bar ripped through my boiler suit when it slipped trying to manoeuvre shackles into one of those things!  I worked in the Far East never in the North Sea.  Mainly out of Singapore, Mumbai, and Sarawak. 

Where were you?  

Andrew. 

• Like 2

On the tugs North sea, USA, Mediterranean, Portugal, Persian gulf: (Wijsmuller tugs: Simson, Friesland, Typhoon)

On suppliers North sea, Mediterranean, Borneo (Smit-Lloyd ships)

On the heavy lift vessels Congo, Japan, USA, Argentine, Singapore and Borneo (Wijsmuller Super Servant 1 and Superservant 2. Was on board the 2 when she sank near Banana point on the Congo river, a very big moment)

• Like 2

Very similar experience to my self - I was on dive support vessels and crane ships too and was the Pacific Constructor when the Sagar Vikas blew out - see below.  Red Adare was an old man by that time and had to be assisted on board.  Interesting times.  

I do not know any details about the Superservant sinking but can imagine one false move with ballast on those things must have been a problem?  

Andrew. 

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/bombay-high-mishap-breaks-ongcs-blow-out-free-record/1/392046.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

What scale would produce a 45cm kit?  The equipment on these boats and their liveries are very varied.  Which company would be the best at producing this kind of kit?

Hi Andrew,

the middle photo, of the red vessel, is Far Scout and her overall length is 80m.   The most common scales for large models ships are 1:192,  1:200 and 1:144.  At those scales 80m is represented:

1:192  =  40cm

1:200  =  41.5cm

1:144  =  55cm

The following LINK takes you to a modelling club dedicated to these types of vessels.  Perhaps a request to them may help?

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

Very similar experience to my self - I was on dive support vessels and crane ships too and was the Pacific Constructor when the Sagar Vikas blew out - see below.  Red Adare was an old man by that time and had to be assisted on board.  Interesting times.  

I do not know any details about the Superservant sinking but can imagine one false move with ballast on those things must have been a problem?  

Andrew. 

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/bombay-high-mishap-breaks-ongcs-blow-out-free-record/1/392046.html

That must have been quite an experience with the Sagar Vikas.

The ballasting of the Super Servants was always a carefully planned and executed operation, the stability diminishes until the deck is completely submerged and then starts increasing again due to the bow shape. In the case of the 2 it wasn't the ballasting, we got hit in the port rear casing by the jack-up we had on deck. Engine room flooded and the rest of the ship had already been filled with ballast. Took two hours to sink but she did eventually go. The 2 is still there being unsalvageable due to depth and current.

Good stories for by the fire with a glass of whiskey ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Heller did two models of Smit tugs both would be good basis for conversion 

Found them 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heller-80620-Model-High-Schlepper-Rotterdam/dp/B0002HZYQQ

Wow this is the same scale as my Revell Oil Platform (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004743-1200-revell-north-cormorant-oil-rig/) this might have to be added to my project, although it won't be ready for Telford...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...