Trio of mustangs

almac

Evening all. As I could not pick which P-51 to do I have decided to do three, a Tamiya, an Airfix and one from Italeri. As they are all in 1/72 it should not be to taxing...probably. 

20161019_171549.jpg

The markings will come from these decal sheets although I quite fancy the  kit decals from the Italeri for  the Royal New Zealand air force.

20161019_171653.jpg

20161019_171801.jpg

The two top choices are Detroit Miss and Miss Marylin II.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Hi Allan,

Sorry to say, the RNZAF Mustangs never wore those type of markings. If the war had gone on in the Pacific another 6-12 months probably. Also the Blue also the wrong colour, should be much darker. Could always do a Whif?

Regards

Alan

I'm not sure of you're seeing something that I'm not Alan. Afaics, the Italeri RNZAF decals in that kit, while maybe not completely accurate, are not too far off the mark, if anything the decals may have slightly too dark a blue in them. The Chevron either side of the fuselage roundel is slightly too big, but it is also in the Ventura decals I used for one of these in a GB on ATF earlier in the year as you will see by the photo in that first link. If thats what you're refering to Allan, I'd say go for it. :) Should have said that the Kiwi Mustangs had the non cuffed late HS prop rather than the earlier cuffed one like most of the wartime Mustangs, all except one, NZ2413 I think.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
Edited for extra info.

17 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm not sure of you're seeing something that I'm not Alan. Afaics, the Italeri RNZAF decals in that kit, while maybe not completely accurate, are not too far off the mark, if anything the decals may have slightly too dark a blue in them. The Chevron either side of the fuselage roundel is slightly too big, but it is also in the Ventura decals I used for one of these in a GB on ATF earlier in the year as you will see by the photo in that first link. If thats what you're refering to Allan, I'd say go for it. :) Should have said that the Kiwi Mustangs had the non cuffed late HS prop rather than the earlier cuffed one like most of the wartime Mustangs, all except one, NZ2413 I think.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Unless I have the wrong kit, if you click on the link and run the cursor over the box top, the RNZAF markings are WWII Pacific Roundel - RNZAF Mustangs never wore those to my knowledge. and those on the box are too light.

Italeri F51D

The RNZAF Roundels on post war Mustangs were D Type Roundels even with bars

RNZAF P51D

Yes only NZ2413 No1 Auckland Sqn, had the cuffed prop

Regards

Alan

Now I see where you're coming from Alan & why we're at cross purposes. Goodness knows why Italeri chose that style roundel on their box top, the actual kit has the same as the model in the first link above, also as seen in this page about the Italeri kit. If you click on the thumbnail of the decals & the box bottom paint schemes you'll see what I mean. I have this kit & was going to use the decals with a Airfix F-51D kit to give the uncuffed prop but then I came by some Ventura decals at a decent price & used them.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Hi Allan!

I've build the Airfix and the Italeri before. The Airfix is very nice, but has deep panel lines and the control stick usually breaks when removing from sprue. The Italeri is ok, but shape not very accurate, and has the wrong prop for an F-51 (cuffed blades, mentioned above also I think).

Can't wait to see what you do with these!

Cheers

Jimmy

5 hours ago, JimmyZ said:

Hi Allan!

I've build the Airfix and the Italeri before. The Airfix is very nice, but has deep panel lines and the control stick usually breaks when removing from sprue. The Italeri is ok, but shape not very accurate, and has the wrong prop for an F-51 (cuffed blades, mentioned above also I think).

Can't wait to see what you do with these!

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy. Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about the control  stick on the Airfix kit as I've broke one on a kit I've partially built and broke the one on this kit I'm using for this build trying to replace the first one. I ended up using the one from the Italeri kit so both my airfix  and Italeri  have no control stick.I'll have to fashion them from sprue for these builds. I know the Airfix kit will build ok as I've almost finished one. As for the Italeri well I'm  not expecting  much as I've not read any good reviews but I've got it so I'll build it and it's one less in the stash. The tamiya one shouldn't give me any problems as it's Tamiya. As for the uncuffed prop there is one in the tamiya kit so that's sorted .

Cheers Allan 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all. Spent a tedious few hours tonight on the interiors of these three. This is not my favourite part of the build as my small detail painting is a bit rough but not much is seen in this scale anyway. The Italeri P-51 has no interior detail at all apart from  the seat control stick and instrument panel. The control sticks in this one and the airfix are from Hasegawa Fw190. The Airfix and Tamiya kits have some nice sidewall details. I used a Quickboost seat in the Tamiya kit which is a big improvement on the kit seat. hopefully I'll get the fuselages joined tomorrow.

Cheers Allan

20161105_222302.jpg

20161105_222434.jpg

• Like 5

Evening all.Joined the fuselages tonight. The Airfix and the Tamiya went together well although I think I got the Airfix front end a bit mis-aligned but that should be an easy fix. The Italeri was a different story however. I think I've got the top aligned ok but the underside was all over the place. So don't expect any pics of the underside of this one.

Cheers Allan

20161106_222042.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all. some progress made last night. Wings together and fuselage seams cleaned up a bit. Ended up attaching the wings and fuselage of the Italeri. Nothing seems to fit well and will need a lot of filling and sanding so it won't be in NMF. Still it does look mustang shaped to my non-expert eye.

20161114_235639.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 6