1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat, VF-41. Finished 20/11

DaveJL

Hello all,

Couldn't contain my joy when I arrived home from work to find Tamiya's brand spanking new F-14 sitting waiting for me. I naturally had to get a thread going in preparation for a start this weekend! I'll be marking it as 'Fast Eagle 107,'  BuNo 160390, one of the 2 F-14s involved in the 'Gulf of Sidra Incident,' whereby 2 Libyan Su-22s were downed in 1981.

fullsizeoutput_b16_zpslepxf1jd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b17_zpszkatzosi.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1d_zpswb8hjg1h.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b18_zpswbk6bquh.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b19_zpsedb4fjke.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1a_zpspdtfcoz2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1c_zpskbxts6uy.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b1b_zps7rzxxlpj.jpeg

The moulding and design looks excellent, particularly the way the wings are built up (you add the swing mechanism then just slide the wings on once you've assembled the fuselage). I know the inability to have everything 'hanging out' on the wings was a bit of a sore point for some, but for me I think it's perfect if you have limited shelf space and plan to build a few.

IMG_1915_zpsngxsmpt0.jpg

Not much aftermarket just some Steel Beach Tail Stiffeners, decals and I have a set of Quickboost seats on the way.

Sorry for the poor pictures, were just taken with the iPhone and the kit thrown on the duvet! Will get some better ones once it's on the bench.

Can't wait to get started!

Dave

• Like 20

What carrier are the VF-213 decals off of?  They look suspiciously like USS Abraham Lincoln...which would put it circa WESTPAC95.  If so, I need to make a note to try to find a set of those.

Look forward to seeing this go together.

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

What carrier are the VF-213 decals off of?  They look suspiciously like USS Abraham Lincoln...which would put it circa WESTPAC95.  If so, I need to make a note to try to find a set of those.

Look forward to seeing this go together.

Yes, it was from USS Abraham Lincoln during 1994 cruise. BuNo 160390 was last flown by Lt. Kara Hultgreen and RIO Lt. Matt Klemish during that infamous accident in 1994, when the left engine stalled during approach to Abe. Both ejected, but Kara didn't survive after hitting the water because she was basically ejected downwards.

Looking forward to this Dave. You've got some good "form" with Hasegawa's 1/48 F-14 so I'll be interested to read your comments on building Tamiya's kit (which I have stashed for the time being).

10 hours ago, Tyas said:

Yes, it was from USS Abraham Lincoln during 1994 cruise. BuNo 160390 was last flown by Lt. Kara Hultgreen and RIO Lt. Matt Klemish during that infamous accident in 1994, when the left engine stalled during approach to Abe. Both ejected, but Kara didn't survive after hitting the water because she was basically ejected downwards.

Yep, I was there.  It was a bad day for sure. :(  She stayed with it long enough to ensure the bird would miss the deck...unfortunately that additional time also allowed the bird to roll past 90 degrees port.  That timing would make it from the workups/carrier quals prior to WESTPAC95.

Edited by helios16v

Made a brief start today. Cockpit assembled and mostly painted, just need to add all the switches etc and clean up a few areas of black that i over done:

IMG_1933_zpsxzjdyw5p.jpg

Also attached the the panels around the front fuselage:

fullsizeoutput_b22_zpsmhoqjzjg.jpeg

Haven't done much but first impressions are, well, superb!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 7

Cheers Tim.

More done. Cockpit was detailed, ready to be fitted. The detail is about the best you will get in injection form!

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

Front landing gear bay:

IMG_1941.jpg

Fitted:

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Wing sweep mechanism:

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

Main landing gear bays and intake ramps fitted. The fit is excellent. Note also the ventral strakes have been added:

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Wings were built up. The detail is great and they include the hinges, an important detail missing from the Hasegawa kits:

IMG_1961.jpg

The 2 sections of the upper fuselage were attached. The join is tricky and will require some glue/filler in the join to tidy it up:  

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Ordnance was next. Going for a full load of 4x AIM-54, 2x AIM-7 and 2x AIM-9. Not what the VF-41 jets would have carried during the incident, but can't not have her fully armed! The fit and detail was second to none:

IMG_1963.jpg

Quickboost seats arrived:

IMG_1949.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

That was quick Dave nice work and it does look like a lovely kit ( upscale to 1/32 ???).

Guy

4 minutes ago, F4u said:

That was quick Dave nice work and it does look like a lovely kit ( upscale to 1/32 ???).

Guy

Cheers Guy. It is a lovely kit, the only thing letting it down is that join between the two upper fuselage halves. 1/32…too big :lol:

• Like 1

It is a shame about the gap but hey you can't have everything but then it's Tamiya should be better really , nothing a bit of filler can't sort out.

1/32 never to big :lol:!!

Keep up the good work.

Guy

Nice work so far!

Interesting with the filler though. I'm watching one being built up (in real life) and the only filler required has been at the base of the tailfins.

Everything else is completely filler-free.

I've been pondering the idea that a small servo motor could be attached internally to the wing sweep "cogs", so that movement could also be added to a diorama.