Airfix Concorde 1:72 -taming the beast!

HP42

Decided to break out the 1:72 Concorde and have a go at taming the beast. I've Read so many accounts of it being a difficult kit I thought it was time to have a go and see what I thought. I also fancy having a Concorde in the cabinet. I bought an Extratech photoetch sheet a few years back from the Czech Republic (Llona Mullerova). I also bought an transparency mask and a weighted wheel set from Hannants a while back.

The story so far...

2016-10-19%2016.30.13.jpg

Started the engine bays to be finished later.  The instructions say the darker areas are either Hu85 or Hu53 but I'm inclined to think it's more of a dark metallic (was it titanium?). I may opt for a dark Alclad and then do lots of panel variations. These things will go on towards the end and I'll probably pick some supplies up at Telford (for it is not all that far away!)

2016-10-19%2016.33.01.jpg

The Extratech photoetch, one of two sheets. Looks to be very well made.

2016-10-19%2016.32.09.jpg

Weighted resin wheels for later. Look much better than the rubber jobs it must be said....now where's my razor saw?

Edited by HP42
Kant spel
  • Like 2

Already buttoned up the cockpit. There's not much to see through the transparencies so I just followed the out of the box instructions. Lost the instrument panel decal due to it folding and shrivelling, a warning for things to come I feel. It's difficult to see the internal detail on the real thing so a model isn't going to warrant much fine detailing, well that's my excuse!  Combing on the control panel interferes with the screen so I slid the whole flight deck back a few mm after a minor location lug adjustment

2016-10-19%2016.26.52.jpg

Applied the masks to the main screen, just needs minor filling and finishing off before paint. This section will then be hidden behind the visor. I've decided to abandon the Airfix mechanism as it's utter rubbish. I'm told it breaks easily. Mine was broken in the bag! It's problematic and not accurate as it omits the black panel under the visor glass. I'm going to fix the visor in the closed cruise position as it looks better I feel.

2016-10-19%2016.27.39.jpg

Modified nose with additional panel. Needs more detail work but it's a start.

2016-10-19%2016.28.17.jpg

Now with mask applied.

2016-10-19%2016.29.16.jpg

Just a dry fit.

2016-10-15%2012.33.15.jpg

You can't see a lot on the real thing!

• Like 3

2016-10-19%2016.34.01.jpg

Started on the skid wheel assembly. Used the first of the photoetch. Made up some panel doors from parts, a bit fiddly but that the nature of the beast. I'll put them aside for painting later. Glued the tail fin and cone assembly now.

2016-10-19%2016.26.03.jpg

Certainly more detail than the kit parts.

• Like 5

I've been trying to tame the beast since March this year! Very frustrating kit but I assure you, so rewarding when you get on the home straight! Just watch out for engines that sit below the wing height that need dealing with, the visor being 10mm too far forward, front nose gear being 10mm too far back, and an absolute huge fight to get the fuselage flush!

This is where I'm at with mine, hopefully will provide some motivation when it's needed ;)

B7B1EB8B-6463-4D50-9DAD-B35EA11CF986_zps 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Sheepie said:

I've been trying to tame the beast since March this year! Very frustrating kit but I assure you, so rewarding when you get on the home straight! Just watch out for engines that sit below the wing height that need dealing with, the visor being 10mm too far forward, front nose gear being 10mm too far back, and an absolute huge fight to get the fuselage flush!

This is where I'm at with mine, hopefully will provide some motivation when it's needed ;)

B7B1EB8B-6463-4D50-9DAD-B35EA11CF986_zps 

Sheepie, that's a great looking model. I think it was looking at your model and build thread that gave me the push to open the box on mine. Tell me more about the engines. What exactly is the problem I'll be facing? I'm thinking of finishing the engines as complete units, decals and all -then gluing them on. Will I come acropper if I try that?

I see you dropped your flaps too. Is there a preferred technique for this?

Edited by HP42
  • Like 2

A little more progress. I put the fuselage section together and the lower wing with wheel well. Then I began assembling the wheel well photoetch which is a big improvement on the kit offering. I left the wheel well kit detail in place as I felt the new unit was designed to go over it. I'm not so sure now but either way it works. A few area stand very slightly proud but a tickle with a flat needle file will sort it. The photoetch needed a little fitting to get it to sit properly, mainly a needle file in the holes to allow it to drop over the cylindrical undercarriage mounting lugs.

2016-10-20%2022.50.23.jpg

Kit parts, the inner well will be hidden anyway as the doors returned to the closed position on the ground.

2016-10-20%2023.21.56.jpg 

2016-10-20%2023.25.01.jpg

A bit of folding later, very easy as it happens! Currently both are stuck in the wheel wells awaiting the extra detail.

2016-10-21%2015.54.15.jpg

Stuck the tail assembly on. Yes there's a step but it's not too bad. It's now filled and waiting to harden off.

• Like 6

I've now gone around the main fuselage with a tube of filler to sort out any panel gaps and ill fitting areas (wing leading edge roots). The wing/fuselage joints have a had a little treatment too but not as much as I'd expected.

2016-10-22%2011.32.08.jpg

Wheel wells now have the photoetch but I've left off the fiddly bits until the sanding and filling work is complete in case they get damaged.

I've decided to pose the aircraft on the ground and make a set of steps going up to the access door. I think I'll put it all in a diorama in a Barbados setting or similar, i.e. simple airstairs and an equally simple baggage truck. To that end I've opened up the door in the nose section and done a little scratch work on the door. I could really do with some reference shots of the door (especially the bottom part) and the 'lobby' for want of a better description just as one might step into the aircraft before turning right into the passenger cabin. I did photograph the one at East Fortune a few years ago but lost them due to hard drive failure (oh f-f-fiddlesticks!)

2016-10-21%2016.48.59.jpg

2016-10-22%2011.45.30.jpg   The door...

I decided to have a go at the stand. You need to glue the ball and socket joint together as it doesn't have enough friction to hold the aircraft steady on its own. I don't intend to display it like this, it's mainly a place to park it when not being worked upon. Starting to look like a Concorde now even though the nose section is just held on (for about 10 minutes before falling off) with tape.

2016-10-22%2011.35.00.jpg

2016-10-22%2011.33.12.jpg

The nose has had further rhinoplasty in the panel under the visor. Looking at the visor it's going to need a little more careful fitting/filling.

• Like 6

I have this in my stash, part started. Wish I had known about the Extra Tech photo-etch when I bought it.... :(

Edited by Alan R
Accidentally put in 'Spoiler'!

I got my Extratech sheet direct from http://www.pmilona.cz/ back in 2014. They do have an English translation on the website if you click the US flag (harrumph! ;)).  I actually ordered it on Christmas day as I was mooching about on the net for a few minutes, stumbled across the website somehow and awarded myself an extra prezzie under the pretext of 'that's too darn good to miss out on', well ...what else do you do on Christmas day?! :rolleyes: The odd thing was I got a personal reply stating the postage (pretty reasonable as it turned out) within the hour!

I've checked the website and there's no mention of the 1:72 Concorde set but I reckon if enough of us express an interest then I can't imagine it would stay out of stock for long. I might be wrong but I think Hannants did the same set for a while not long after I bought mine, so maybe pester Hannants? Personally I've just bought another 1/2 price Concorde kit from Wonderland as a gift for a mate and I'd like to add the photoetch kit too. I should point out however that if you decide to build your kit wheels up in flight then it's only the engines and a few small aerials etc that benefit from the etch so make a judgement call.

• Like 2

Sanding off the fabled tail step.... lots of dust. That Vallejo plastic putty stuff isn't half dusty and if you fill deep sections (i.e. more than 0.5mm) it takes days to go off. I look like I've stood next to an exploding flour mill. Good for small gaps but not much else and it's a bit hard to sand. Might revert to the green stuff....

I've been trying to find a few reference shots without much luck. I need to see the inside of the entrance from the passenger main door at the front so I can scratch build this section. I could also do with seeing a few quality daylight (for colour matching) shots of the side of the engines. From memory it's white paint in the front section, a sort of blackened/painted titanium before becoming much lighter NMF (in various shades) at the back. I had all these shots from East Fortune but on a now failed hard drive. :(

• Like 1

Wow, you are going for the detail - in haste I did a search for 'boarding Concorde' and there are some amateur videos that might help?

There's also lots of shots, including close ups, in the YouTube videos like this one:

HTH :)

• Like 2

Thanks Ced, this one gives me enough to go on as the opening shot does a walk through the area I'm looking at scratching. I'm only going to attempt a small section as seen through the door from the outside, not one for zipping up hard work never to be seen again.

• Like 2

Thats an awesome build you are doing here.I will watch this with great interest as I have the Revell issue in my stash.:popcorn:

Still undecided though if I go wheels up or wheels down....:unsure::hmmm:

A little progress tonight. Made the bare bones of the entrance porch from plasticard ready to slot in just as a test fit. I'll paint it soon and fettle it up with a bit of detail but in all honesty you won't see all that much.

2016-10-27%2022.38.15.jpg

Test fit...

2016-10-27%2022.53.33.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice - glue it!

Lemmypaintitfirst! ;-) ;-) :-)

Progress is going to be a tad slow for a while as work is taking precidence... just need a reference shot of the inside right as you'd walk through the door.

• Like 2