The first tugboat

I have been following the WIP "Tugboats on tracks" with some interest. Back in 1996 or 97 I built this thing,which ended up being a master for a friend-the late and much liked Horst at CMSC (Continental Model Supply Co) . At that time there wasn't that much available info wise on these vehicles,but I had a hankering for one,and as I have been known to build the odd ship this seemed to fit nicely with my interests.

Back then I didn't own a digital camera,they were still very new and expensive.I have hunted high and low for the few film photos that I took of the model under construction,but have only found these 2.

30064232400_b844a79f99_o.jpgLWS master2 by plastichacker, on Flickr

The second shows the transverse struts before the deck was laid,to give the correct camber

29730933724_c4706714c7_o.jpgLWS master1 by plastichacker, on Flickr

The model was entirely scratch built from plastic card and Milliput,though I did use the track from "something"-probably a Pz 2 or 3 most likely,and a sprocket modded from something else,can't remember what,but the rest is all mine. 

30325026056_9e96814fa4_o.jpgLWS1g by plastichacker, on Flickr

30360335365_7408679b11_o.jpgLWS1 by plastichacker, on Flickr

30325025506_2545ab1521_o.jpgLWS2 by plastichacker, on Flickr

30325024946_f53165c4da_o.jpgLWS2g by plastichacker, on Flickr

29729945204_a2580aafa8_o.jpgLWS3g by plastichacker, on Flickr

30063282530_75f0fae7c4_o.jpgLWS5g by plastichacker, on Flickr

30360334055_46228ee16d_o.jpgLWS6g by plastichacker, on Flickr

This particular model has sat on its tracks since being made,and has never "sagged"-the running gear was superglued on,no problems with it since. The crew are heavily modified Airfix figures I think. This particular model was used for the box shots and was the only one I ever got around to finishing,though I have several in my "to do" boxes.Maybe one day,especially as now there seems to be more info available around. As far as I am aware no other has been done in small scale,though I confess that I am not really up to speed on the latest 1/76 or 72 armour models.

mtd

• Like 19

That is a cracking little build and scratch built great stuff  :goodjob:

This will probably be better than the new stuff that is out from Hobby Boss in 1/72

Beefy

What an interesting post and how good is it that the film photographs are still around!

I bought a CMSC LWS many years ago and it has been waiting patiently to be completed.  Knowing something of the history of the model certainly adds to its value, particularly when it's via a personal recollection.

Cheers

David

Any suggestions how to sort out the problems with the grill-like holes at the stern.....Mine were badly affected by air bubbles so I had to fill them:

ThreeIssues_zpsbeb5vrss.jpg

There should actually be four rows of holes and I'm absolutely certain I won't be able to drill them neatly.  :unsure:

My advice would be to either  A) fill the damaged areas completely with Milliput,sand back when dry using 600 grit wet 'n dry used wet,and then mark and drill new vent holes using a sharp stick and micro drill. By sharp stick I mean a pointed drill bit or shank of one,which has been sharpened either with a bench grinder,or at a pinch by a Dremel filted with a cut off wheel,angled at a slant to act as a mini bench grinder-in effect what you will end up with is a mini centre punch to guide the micro drill you will need to re-drill the holes. There is no short cut to this....believe me. B) An alternative to Milliput would be Plastruct (the best) plastic rod of the correct diameter, superglued into the drilled holes.Then cut off flush and the marked and drilled as described above. Unfortunately you seem to have a "holy" casting,mine were made by CMSC and Horst really know his stuff,though even he had problems with air bubbles. I have built many resin kits and these 2 methods are the only ones that have worked for me.None of the plastic type fillers,such as Green Stuff will work-they are designed to melt the plastic using a chemical reaction,and bond to plastic that way.This will NOT work on resin,it just makes a mess or falls out when you sand it.Milliput is superb for this type of repair,the only way to go. Others swear by superglue etc,each to his own,if it works for you. The above applies to any resin kit with these problems.

HTH

mtd

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for your advice.....I've already filled them with Milliput, but I'm not confident of re-drilling them neatly.  I've been looking for a suitable piece of etch or mesh that I could let into the hull and blend in with Milliput.  :confused: