"Valom" A W Albermarle

mikestow

10 hours ago, mikestow said:

Unfortunately I could not find anything on "Market Garden",but I know Albermarles were used to tow gliders in!!I have assumed 295 were used and therefore "A" could have been part of it,unless lost after "D" Day Ops??

By the way!!!Your Albermarle will take a load of weights,so be prepared to leave enough space to fit it in!!!I had to reposition the seat in the front of the nose to fit more in after I had fitted the tailplane.You need to leave that last to position the rear glazing and Tug Cable stays,and so I thought the weight I had placed in the cockpit area was sufficient-It was NOT!!!!It was more than for a Canberra so be prepared!

Mike, I think I'm right in saying that 295 sqn converted onto Stirlings soon after D-day so wouldn't have had Albemarles at the time of Market Garden. I'm not sure what sqns were flying them then.

Thanks for the tip re the weight, I just hope its not one of those kits where the required weight overcomes the strength of the nose gear. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 2

I have seen the "other" side picture confirms the code layout. Note the different treatments of the D-Day stripe around the Z in different aircraft. it's not known if either one of them were 8Z-A.

V1740 was SOC 17.12.45 but 295 had converted to Stirlings by the time of Market Garden. See my link above. (Edit - Steve beat me by 2 mins but I can add - 296 and 297 flew Albemarle glider tugs in Market Garden).

Nice model Mike, if a bit shiny! I don't suppose it's practicable to change the codes around now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Mike, I think I'm right in saying that 295 sqn converted onto Stirlings soon after D-day so wouldn't have had Albemarles at the time of Market Garden. I'm not sure what sqns were flying them then.

Thanks for the tip re the weight, I just hope its not one of those kits where the required weight overcomes the strength of the nose gear. :unsure:

Steve.

296 and 297 Squadron used Albermarles during Market Garden. I believe this was the last time the type was used in action although a number were used for training up to early 1946

• Like 2

Oh Dear!Nevermind the thoughts were there!!I never had access to information re 296 and 297,but will get it back and offer a change to codes!-296 was 9W+ and 297 L5+ or later P5 as far as I can see.I will try to find suitabe red codes for it then.Many thanks for the info,and surprising what comes out here!!!I have finished the Botha and not varnished it for him,but it should be no problem to paint over and reapply decals,if I have them!!Otherwise it will have to stay as a "D"Day machine!Meanwhile the Botha is unvarnished and completed as UL+Y which achieved 18 Ops before being transferred to a training unit and finally lost in 1942.This will be on a seperate thread.

• Like 1