Scales (for weighing things, not the ratio of a model to the real thing)

GordonD

A question for people who use Liquid Gravity or any similar product. 

When an instruction sheet tells you to add (say) 16g of weight to the nose of a model, do you just guess how much you're using or do you measure it out? And if you do measure it, what do you use? I've been looking on Amazon for some small scales and there are several different types on there but I'm not sure what to go for. I suppose jewellery scales would be the best but can anybody recommend a particular one?

Any small pair of kitchen scales will do that for you.  We currently use one I picked up from Asda, so will have been much cheaper than any set of jewellery scales.  I'd expect jewellery scales to deal with much finer amounts - grains rather than grams.  You don't need that kind of precision for weighting the nose of a model.

I can't speak for the ones you linked,but can say that I much prefer these small scales (mine came off ebay and were even cheaper) for one major reason-the kitchen type scales auto off after a very short time,and the several I've used have never had an option to stay on.These little things stay on for several minutes (or mine do at least) and this is very important if you are weighing out small amounts of liquids,such as 2 part resins-the mixing and cook off time of these fast cast resins is short,and having the scales switch off half way through weighing something that you are adding almost drop by drop is a b*tch.Just something if consider if you are going to use them for more than just aircraft nose weights.

My two bobs worth....

mtd

They're often listed on eBay as "Herb Scales", and they're quite cheap.  I have a set that I used to use for weighing out resin for mixing, and I now use for weighing the components of two-part epoxy like Milliput, so I get an accurate blend :)  As to nose weight - shove as much in there as will fit, as long as it won't smoosh your nose gear. ;)

Using the kitchen scales you've already got is even cheaper than buying a new bit of kit for a small requirement; but given the low price, if you can afford it why not?  re auto-off - I can see the frustration in the example given, but more commonly wouldn't just hitting it again suffice?  The device shown also has an auto-off. 

I must admit to never measuring out Miliput with any degree of attention to the weight - just spread about the same distance of gunk onto a milk bottle top and mix.  So far so good...

Edited by Graham Boak

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

They're often listed on eBay as "Herb Scales",

Yes, and we all know what kind of "herbs", don't we?  

(Not that you'd have anything to do with that sort of thing, Mike!)

We can take an educated guess, can't we?  Made me smile when I first saw it all those years ago :)

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Not that you'd have anything to do with that sort of thing, Mike!

I'm dopey enough without resorting to that sort of thing :sleep_1:

I regularly use a set of kitchen scales, they can be found in the hardware/cookery area of supermarkets.  I have the one shown below and, just like the jewellery scales, it has a Tare function which means you can place an empty pot/ receptacle onto the scales first and zero the weight. This way, only the contents get weighed and not the pot itself.   The auto off function isn't a problem for me as I just place the empty pot onto the scales and select On/Tare again to switch on.

Another useful element of this type is that I can weigh kits and other items, up to 5Kg in weight, in order to identify how much postage they will cost before taking them to the PO or courier.  I did originally consider a set of jewellery scale but found them to be too limiting in their application.

weight_scales.jpg

The comments about "hitting it again" are ok,and of course if you are mixing anything that is critical it is always useful to mark the weight of the pot or whatever it is on the thing itself-that way if it does auto off you know the total weight of your "herbs" once you subtract the weight of the baccy,sorry I mean pot,err I mean tub...However,whan mixing fast cast resins time is really critical-you don't get much of it,so faffing around isn't an option.That is why not having the short auto off common on normal kitchen scales is important,for me at least.

Funnily enough,like the Boss,I bought mine originally to measure out Milliput accurately,but ended up using them exclusively for fine measurement of resins,and herbs.Must try giving up the resin,the cough is a b*gger

mtd

17 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Sorry, Bootneck, I refuse to buy any product endorsed by Anthony Worrall Thompson!

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

me too... or any of those other foul-mouthed or spitty Mockney "celebrity chefs" :puke:

For goodness sake!  We are trying to assist someone in their choice of scales, not get all shirty over a decal stuck to a device.  Anyway, it was cheap!

Of course I'm a Mickey-taker! Bear in mind that I was introduced to this place by Enzo Matrix, so if I associate with the likes of him then it's a reasonable guide to my character. No offence was meant, Bootneck - sorry if you took me seriously.

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

I use that exact type myself, have never had an issue with them. Use them for general purpose stuff, casting mixing RTV and resin, nose weights, paint mixing for airbrushing. Would certainly recommend them. 

Scales used in cooking work fine. As well as measuring the weight of nose weights for models, I also  use mine for measuring ingredients when I cook food for myself and others ( occasionally ).

My kitchen scales are ancient, analogue and not sensitive enough for what I want to measure. However I sent for the scales I referred to above and I'm very happy with them,