Westland Wessex HU5 (1:8)

14 hours ago, heloman1 said:

If you don't already have it the reference book on the Wessex is the 4+ book scale palns etc, and lots of photo refrence. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Colin

Just a question… did the Wessex use RR or Bristol Siddeley Gnome turbines…or have I got the names all mixed up here?

14 hours ago, hendie said:

RR Gnomes

from a Wessex man..."By the time the Gnome was installed on the Wessex it had a RR badge on it due to them taking over Bristol Aero Engines in the late sixties. But I believe its origins go  way back to the T58 engine produced by General Electric."

• 3 weeks later...

Hope all have a brilliant 2017!

got some parts over the festive season...

3D printed seats....

unfortunately the came out as one piece, so had to separate them very carefully with a scalpel... then primed, painted and adjustment lever added...

Seat%202_zpsuytlgxwa.jpg

Seat%203_zpsw27b6bze.jpg

Seat%201_zpscaiy9i9x.jpg

Seat%205_zpsyhokk1x6.jpg

Seat%209_zpsknrplxer.jpg

Seat%2010_zpsrnzzpsft.jpg

Seat%2012_zpsmq6qm3qs.jpg

Seat%2011_zpsanplaswq.jpg

IMG_2448_zps6bvfgdwz.jpg

IMG_2451_zpsktnharhe.jpg

W

• Like 6

Hi W, those seats are perfect, any chance you could reproduce (5 sets) them in 48th scale? I could make up my own cusions. The guys at Jaguar were very generous with the red leather...

Colin

Edited by heloman1
text added

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi W, those seats are perfect, any chance you could reproduce (5 sets) them in 48th scale? I could make up my own cusions. The guys at Jaguar were very generous with the red leather...

Colin

Hi Colin

Far from perfect... probably add sheepskin covers to hide the horrendous stitching....

W

2 hours ago, Wonko the Sane said:

Hi Colin

Far from perfect... probably add sheepskin covers to hide the horrendous stitching....

W

Maybe turn the cushions over to hide the stitching or as you say the sheepskin cover will do the job. I treid to hand make a new seats for my Wessex HAS Mk1 conversion before Iitaleri got around to releasing it. They ended up 1.5mm too wide...

I have another five Wessex to build, hence the request for 48th scale seats.

Colin

13 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Maybe turn the cushions over to hide the stitching or as you say the sheepskin cover will do the job. I treid to hand make a new seats for my Wessex HAS Mk1 conversion before Iitaleri got around to releasing it. They ended up 1.5mm too wide...

I have another five Wessex to build, hence the request for 48th scale seats.

Colin

Hi Colin

The seats I found on Shapeways 3D printing, you need to contact the designer and ask to have it scaled down.

The glove material has a cloth backing so cant turn it. Could also not sew it then turn, the PVC just tore along the sewing...

W

• 2 weeks later...

This utterly delightful madness is making me wonder...

Can I make axle brackets like that for a 1/72 scale Wessex

Hmm

But in the real world this amazing work is giving me a real warm feeling

Wonderful

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that tail fold is looking seriously good. I forgot to answer your question re the engine, yes RR Gnomes a licence built US engine  but I'm sure the  way RR build aero engines the final HP output would have been higher/greater...

I asked the 3D guys about the seat, but they said the drawings/design was owned by a third party. However I couldn't find out who, sad as I need twelve in 48th scale...

Colin