JASDF F4EJ 'blue black' colour

Skyhunter66

Morning folks - I picked up on Ebay a 1980's Hasegawa 1:48 F4EJ and one of the colour schemes is an attractive splinter camo with a colour call out for H305 for the grey and 'blue black' for the darker colour. I wondered if anyone had a suggestion of the blue black colour? 

thanks

Chris 

2016-10-18%2011.02.20_zpszqfiquf7.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of the colours worn by JASDF F-4's at weapons meets etc (such as this scheme) are not standard. If you google the aircraft you want to build and the date and location you should be able to find a photo and just use a paint that matches.

I do have a couple of books that might help but i don't have time to look now, might be able to find something tomorrow.

Craig.

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

In fact, follow this link and there is a picture of your aircraft.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/j401f/51722452.html

Nice choice of scheme by the way.

Thanks Craig - these photos are spot on. The darker colour looks different to the box - more blue grey -possibly Mr Color 54? 

Also I note the demarcation lines are soft so need more of a freehand airbrush approach which suit me. 

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket decals for these does there? Some by Cam Decals and DXM but nothing seems in line with this scheme 

cheers

chris 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skyhunter66 said:

Thanks Craig - these photos are spot on. The darker colour looks different to the box - more blue grey -possibly Mr Color 54? 

Also I note the demarcation lines are soft so need more of a freehand airbrush approach which suit me. 

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket decals for these does there? Some by Cam Decals and DXM but nothing seems in line with this scheme 

cheers

chris 

No problem Chris.

The dark colour isn't as dark as Hasegawa would have you believe, as you can see from the photos, and you are right they are soft edged as they are temporary colours applied for the weapons meet. As far as markings go all you really need are standard squadron markings as, other than the shark mouth on some examples, the unit and stencil markings are the same as the aircraft usually wore. There is an old Aeromaster sheet which covers JASDF Phantoms and if memory serves me correctly there are a couple of these schemes on it.

• Like 1

Young minion is learning well!! 

he is right in that the colours are very much non standard, so the best bet is to take a colour photo along to a model shop and simply match the colour to paints available. I did this recently and was surprised to find that the colour matched an old ijaaf colour, so that made some sense.

DXM decals are one of the best sources for JASDF schemes as are Platz if you can get them.

have fun and welcome to the world of modern Japanese Air Force. You will very soon get hooked

andy

On 10/21/2016 at 8:27 PM, Red Dot said:

Young minion is learning well!! 

he is right in that the colours are very much non standard, so the best bet is to take a colour photo along to a model shop and simply match the colour to paints available. I did this recently and was surprised to find that the colour matched an old ijaaf colour, so that made some sense.

DXM decals are one of the best sources for JASDF schemes as are Platz if you can get them.

have fun and welcome to the world of modern Japanese Air Force. You will very soon get hooked

andy

thanks Andy - just looking at DXM now as I picked up a Hasegawa 1:48 F15 DJ on eBay for £16! Its vintage 1990's but thats ok with me. Think I might go with a JASDF aggressor scheme....

chris 

DXM are good, just finding them is the hard part.

Last sheet I managed to find was from an obsure shop in Germany and I had to post them cash euros for it.

Julien

I'm not sure, but "Blue Black" seems to be "Nibu Ao" (dull blue), No. 3510 of the NDS (Defense Ministry  Standard) Z 8201E.

Here's a scan of the color chip page for your reference.

0000107.jpg

Cheers,

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Julien said:

DXM are good, just finding them is the hard part.

Last sheet I managed to find was from an obsure shop in Germany and I had to post them cash euros for it.

Julien

Go to their website and look at where to buy them from. Lucky Model usually have them or order direct!! Never had any issues before and they even give discount for repeat customers

The latest ones are printed by Cartograf and fantastic

Andy

• 2 years later...
On 10/27/2016 at 4:35 PM, spaddad said:

according to my copy of 'Defenders Of Nippon' you're looking at FS.36320 overall with a disruptive pattern of dark blue grey FS 35048. Hope this helps.

Hello spaddad is this still the best guess on the color ? 

Dennis

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow Craig @modelling minion. I'm researching this particular aircraft as a possibility for the 80's Asia group build. I Just came across this thread and was wondering what the best guess on the color was ? 

Would be great for you to build a Phantom aggressor for the GB Dennis, only 4 weeks to go now!!

I believe @spaddad's colour is as good as you will get, some of them were mixed by the units with what they had so are not standard so go with what you think looks right, and try to find a JASDF crew chief who mixed the paint to prove you wrong.

• Thanks 1