Can any Revell 1/72 F-16 make a Polish Block 52 jet?

Procopius

Hullo, 

I was thinking of doing a Polish Air Force F-16C Block 52, and I was wondering if all single-seat Revell kits had everything I'd need in the box (aside from CFTs and the bulged gear doors)?

Hi, Procopius,

I am finishing one just now.

After that rather encouraging statement, let's go into the details.

Bulged gear doors are not present as you know (let's not talk about the CFTs, which the kit has no obligation of including!); but neither are the heavy duty u/c legs (absolutely not noticeably). Main wheels are the wide ones but inexplicably, the front one is not. The tailfin base is the standard US (short), but the extensions for the MLU are included (in fact, a whole MLU kit is there); you have to hack it, as it is integral to the tailfin. The extension do not fit, for they have the thin width of the A tailfin base, but you can widen them with strip styrene. Pylons are appropriate (TMK the plane uses the simple ones) and the LAU-29 launchers are present.

You'll have to scratch build the twin ECM antennae on the tailfin extension base, and also the antennae on the intake lip. Armament is there, but only the AIM-120 are strictly applicable (the short finned C ones - they are a bit blunt in the nose and someone has said they depict the practice rounds). Poles use the AIM-9X which are not present. GBU-24 are included, but it would seem that GBU-31 are more typical. Tanks are standard.

That's it. A well doable project.

Fernando

• Like 3

Try to go for the F-16C ''Block 50/52'' boxings by Revell or Monogram.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/103803-revell-04633-f-16c

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/165240-monogram-85-5309-f-16c-fighting-falcon

This gives you the correct intake and burner can.

Edited by falcon

On 22/10/2016 at 10:31 PM, falcon said:

Try to go for the F-16C ''Block 50/52'' boxings by Revell or Monogram.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/103803-revell-04633-f-16c

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/165240-monogram-85-5309-f-16c-fighting-falcon

This gives you the correct intake and burner can.

Hi, falcon,

Any C kit comes with both intake/exhaust combos. Consider there is a complete A kit in the box, plus the C parts.

Fernando

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Great photo!

Is there a thread somewhere that explains the differences/kit changes needed across all the Blocks?

I've kinda got the same question as Procopius but to do with a Greek F-16 :whistle:

Cheers,

Dermot

My guess is the same applies to a Greek jet, any Revell F-16C should have the parts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, falcon said:

My guess is the same applies to a Greek jet, any Revell F-16C should have the parts.

It would depend which Block you want to build; the latest Block 52 would be a challenge with the RoG kit, you'd be better off with a Hasegawa F-16E/F/I kit as a basis. 

HTH,

Andre

It is, the only thing missing is the bulged undercarriage doors and the little bits Fernando mentioned with the option of building either a block 50 or 52 machine.. The F-16E/F's are block 60 so unless Hasegawa haven't included the various changes then it should look different. Plus they tend to be more expensive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

How so? My understanding was that the Revell F-16C was the best starting point for a Block 52 jet.

Hasegawa's kits give you the basic F-16C or D kit, with, unlike the RoG C, extra parts like bulged landing gear covers, CFT's and, for the twoseaters, spine fairing which are applicable to the Block 52+. 

They do all have the old F-16A style gun gas vent cover, though. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Hi, all,

Also consider the Greeks fly a number of Block 30 aircraft, for which the normal Revell C kit is perfectly compatible (with the caveats mentioned) These are not CFT-capable. Even the Tamiya would be fine, if you grab a tail extension from the Revell. Go with a Hasegawa Sufa (you'll need the tail extension and possibly modify some details in the spine) or dare tackle the appropriate Kinetic kit for a D.

Fernando

1 minute ago, Pollie said:

Hasegawa just released a dual kit box of the Polish F-16D. Hopefully that comes with all the correct goodies. But since you are after a single-seater that might not work :-(

Now that you mention it, I'm a little curious to see how it stacks up against the Kinetic kit, accuracy-wise.

Hi, FZ6,

The bulged doors are virtually mandatory and they are the ones I used in my build. The exhaust I didn't dare, but looks good. The conformal tanks could be used if that is your liking. The rest is not really needed in the Revell kit. Pylons and tanks were aimed at the early Tamiya kit which came bare. Quality is very good, though. There is also another accesory that could be used and it is a metal undercarriage for the Tamiya kit, which correctly depicts the heavy duty type. That if you are really picky. Some adaptation to the kit is on order, as the legs are separated in it. Another thing you should use is a set of wheels. The kit provides the wide main wheels, but for some reason not the nose one.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SAC72097

Fernando

On 09/11/2016 at 2:10 PM, Procopius said:

Now that you mention it, I'm a little curious to see how it stacks up against the Kinetic kit, accuracy-wise.

My understanding is that the Kinetic kit has rough, pebbly surface and the panel lines appear to be a bit too wide for 1/72 scale.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/usaf/rol16d.htm

Quote: "The surface is rough, details and small pieces are oversized or indistinct, and panel lines are virtually the same as in the 1/48 kit (imagine!)"

Despite the age, the 1/72 Hase F-16D is still the best.