BurmaBeau, no longer a stalled attempt

Hello fellow modellers
I happen to run across this during this spring:
a04019-size-40_1.jpg
I couldn't resist the temptation to start it, especially since a saw a few magnificent builds here. My intention was not to start a build thread in the vain hope that if I don't I can finish it off more quickly.
See how that went...

After close to 6 months or so, it's time to finish this and a bunch of Spitfires and hopefully a FJ-4 Fury before christmas.
What's the rush?

Well, I think I've entered in three possible group builds, and I really want to start an Academy F-4C too, but my modelling space is littered with other half stalled attempts.
Time to get cracking then.

This is what's done until today:
P1040332_zps4dpplihy.jpg
P1040333_zpsa4e7ryoj.jpg
P1040334_zpswymlbn8r.jpg
P1040335_zpstbso8zt6.jpg
P1040337_zpsvnkvayx9.jpg
I had some Eduard belts that were put to good use, and I also took a little artistic freedom in swivelling the gunners chair, and adding a few levers in the cockpit.

All of a sudden, the fuselage and wings just jumped into place, and I was left with this for a few months.
IMG_20161009_164414886_zpskprsurtd.jpg
The lack of progress might be due to finishing a rather big Tiffy in 1/24, and also selling the house and moving to an apartment I guess...

The only hard part of this kit is the engine covers. They're festooned with bumps over every cylinder and naturally Airfix wanted to show this. Their way of solving it is with three plastic parts, and together with the zero tolerance policy they have this leads to problems. At least you can choose  where you want the gap!
IMG_20161011_184959131_zpskrodyfir.jpg

Hopefully it will be hidden under the exhaust.

This week I got the mojo back to finish this bugger, and I started with Ultimate primer. Top stuff!
IMG_20161013_212609619_zpsdaujieew.jpg
Tried to scratch a landing light too (airfix gives nothing of the sort)
P1040736_zpsilupbo6i.jpg

Since I'm doing a rocket armed Beau, the landing light is very much covered in sheet metal, so maybe nothing will be seen anyway.

I saw Ronnirex rather spiffy looking La-5FN

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010214-wip-148-eduard-zvezda-la-5fn/
and decided that imitation is a form of flattery, right? Let's test this with my poor skills.

After the primer, some dark grey was painted using Tamiya Acrylics.
P1040737_zpsioimnnmw.jpg
Step two was white preshade
P1040739_zpsqzad0tvj.jpg
And finally , a thin layer of Medium sea grey:
P1040741_zpsq09rbjti.jpg

As always, I seem to stop painting a few minutes after I should since the shading is almost gone...

But it works, after a fashion :-)

Let's mask this up in preparation for Dark Earth.

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 8

Painting time!

I started with some black, but that was not all!
IMG_20161020_172948411_zpsjzhxvplw.jpg
Red mas sprayd randomly here and there to give a subtle tonal shift for the brown that is to come. Let's see if it's worth the effort.
Gunze Dark Earth was next.
P1040743_zps3rstvg2h.jpg
What a lovely paint Gunze is!

It goes on thin thin thin, and the finish is flawless.

What about the preshade then?

Well it's there allright, but my camera-skills can't capture that. I can see it with my naked eye (barely, just what I want) though.

Now it needs to harden for a while before the nest round of masking starts.

• Like 5

Very nice resumption Christer and good explanation/demonstration of the painting technique - it looks as though it will yield a fine outcome. I also like your choice of location for the cowling 'gap management'!

Nice work so far.

Agree with the Gunze. I've been slowly gravitating towards it for a while now whenever I get new paints. Goes on so wonderfully, is super tough when dry and comes out so smooth.

I like your variation on the 3 layer blend. I think it gives a very subtle modulation that doesn't always come through on photos. I tend to just use a basecoat of camo, shade with lightened camo and blend with more camo. I might mix up the colours a bit for the shading coat a bit next time.

One thing I've learned though is that once all the weathering and flat coats go on that modulation will become even more subtle so knowing when to stop blending it out is key.

Keep up the good work!

The idea of differently colored control surfaces will have to wait for a while longer.

I continued with the nutty preshade, this time with yellow.
P1040746_zps1drtwynw.jpg
Then, we passed the point of no return...
IMG_20161022_174743801_zps94zyhxzh.jpg
But who cares how it looks with the tape on?

OFF WITH IT!

P1040753_zpsx61ttdqz.jpg
P1040754_zpslz0vdlal.jpg

That's more like it!

Some touch-ups here and there (and also installation of the navigation lights) but thre might be some white CBI-bands soon!

• Like 10

Looking smart indeed. The Beau suits most colour schemes in my eye and this one particular; the quality of your paintwork certainly helps though.

The back seat could indeed swivel. Forward for radio and navigation and shouting abuse at the pilot, backward for dropping flares and playing with the gun or getting in and out of the rear boarding hatch :) 

• Like 2

The go faster stripes was finally added:

14390837_10205342675605076_7320322984129
14590448_10205342688925409_5513022378350

Due to bad masking, some more touch-ups required :angry:, but clearcoat and decals should follow soon!

Especially since I'm attending a model show the entire weekend

http://c4-open.se/

I'll compete with four models, one big Typhoon, a small Typhoon, a Do335 and off a Bearcat.

Looking very much forward to the entire event.

• Like 7

Thanks Pete! 

Snag a lot off these little Beaus, they're terrific!

Here at C4 the competition is in full swing and for some reason I've fiddled with a Valom Bristol Brigand instead of adding decals to this One...

Now, should I start a new thread for the Brigand or just add it here?

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

Christer that looks lovely, I enjoy seeing your different paint techniques! 

My daugther picked this to build and I must say she has done alright considering the kits relative complexity. However the engine cowls and placing of the engines was a step to far and she asked me to do that, they are a pain!

looking forward to your finish

Rob

I have just caught up with this Christer and very much enjoyed reading it.

I too have many started, but not finished kits (maybe 12 or more :o !).

It gives me hope to see you restart one and the great progress you have made.

My stalled Beau is a Frog Mk. 21; it isn't forgotten ;) .

Your painting approach is fascinating, something quite new to me, thanks for showing this.

Now, don't get too distracted by that Brigand, or the poor Beau will end up stalling again :D !

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Among the "paused kits" I have I count a Harrier, Spitfire VIII, XII, Seafang, Me109, FJ-4 Fury, F3H-2M Demon, A7D Corsair, a whif and an eggplane.

I might have forgotten some (yes, a Lightning!) but I do have a plan and most of them will be finished, or so I tell myself whenever I start a new one.

For now, my focus will lie on the two Bristols where I have a chance to make this one correct or close to it.

I'm glad that my crazy preshading can be fascinating for anyone else. I have no clue of what I'm doing with this, nor have I any knowledge of paint from an artistic point of view, so it's all guesswork.

But is seems to work :blink: