1/72 Boeing O2B-1 from an Airfix DH4 help

phat trev

Looking at the idea of making a 1/72 Boeing O2B-1 from the old Airfix DH4 kit- after a time looking though google at the differences/similarities this looks a really interesting DIY conversion project!

Would anyone have any details, ideas, information, graphics etc to share in this post to assist perhaps?

The color scheme if have found is silver all over and yellow wings (tops) but was their any other schemes the O2B-1 wore? (this was a very colorful period)

Liberty V12 engine I am guessing?

Were the wings the same length as the RFC DH9?

Would the O2B-1 have bomb racks installed? or carried extra fuel in external tanks?

many questions

Puzzled! The 02B was made by Douglas and was a completely different aeroplane than the DH 4. The Boeing modernised DH.4M to which I think you refer was more akin to a DH.9 the wingspan is given as 42' 5" in Putnams Boeing. There is a three view.

John

NB just noticed that the Marines gave it the designation 02B-1

I'm probably stating the obvious, but regarding the 02, good old Wikipedia has an unusually exhaustive entry.

The engine sub-variants are very carefully listed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_O-2

An attractive aircraft I wasn't familiar with. James McKee's three seat MO 2B seaplane sounds a very interesting modelling subject.

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Some nice plans on this page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2637339

Edited by TonyTiger66
Plans

I think there is confusion here between the Army Douglas O-2 and the Navy Boeing O2B.  The Boeing aircraft was a DH-4M1, with the crew positions changed from the standard DH-4, and a metal-framed fuselage.  The Douglas aircraft is indeed a different machine.

• Like 1

And some people just don't understand the big difference that the placement of the hyphen in US designations makes.;)

Later,

Dave

Edited by e8n2
  • Like 1

True. I don't.

The original poster seems to have gone.

I learned a little at least here.

Now to tuck into the 'De Havilland Moths in Detail' book that arrived today.

Different thread but thanks for the recommendation John, a superb book, especially for £12.50.

:) 

ATB

T

Still around, just logged out TonyTiger66 :)

The correct designation is indeed O2B  -1 or -2 is the variant by the looks of it.

Managed to find the following text from a gamers website! which is most useful so I will share this with you all too:

Interesting stuff I hope! thanks all for your comments thus far!

The 4B and O2 were U.S. produced versions of the DH4 and were physically very similar to the Dh-9a.

The O2B-1 had a metal fuselage, the Dh-4B was plywood.

In 1927 a mix of these aircraft assigned to VO-1M (San Diego) as well as VO-4M (Quantico) were deployed to Nicaragua with Marine ground troops to support the local government against rebel forces. These aircraft engaged in what was considered the first USMC use of close air support as well as dive bombing.  VO-1M aircraft are the original "Ace of Spades" squadron, the oldest active squadron in the Marine Corps.

Now known as Attack Squadron 231. The "A number" on the fuselage changed to a #o# system in 1927.  The "2o6" aircraft is a VO-2M machine deployed to Haiti during the same period.

• 2 weeks later...

One small addition to your O2B information:  not only was the top of the upper wing painted with Orange Yellow enamel, but also the top of the horizontal stabilizer and elevators.  This in fact was the official U.S. Navy color scheme during the early years, until the use of the tail area for unit markings took priority.

Another modeler's efforts were explained at http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9441