aoshima rocket bunny toyota 86

shood23

So taking a bit of a turn from my normal racing car builds I wanted to do something very different. 

This.

20161017_132022_zpsc8oluzdx.jpg

My plan is a straight up out the box build with different colours from the box and maybe some custom decals. 

The body is very clean and fits together like a glove  

20161017_131911_zpsdjhdd7nq.jpg

From the rear 

20161017_131917_zpszdfqr6ke.jpg

I have started with gluing the wheel arch flares which did require some cutting of the main body shell 

20161017_131938_zpska2zudlh.jpg

And the rear one. Bit of a pain is some ways as it has to match up with the fuel filler but in some ways made it easier to locate. There has been a little glue seepage which I will obviously tidy up before painting 

20161017_131950_zpsexsiqm30.jpg

And from above to show the difference between the 2 sides. Mods on the left of screen and standard on the right 

20161017_131930_zpsmrtjl7ct.jpg

And finally the rims. They look to be very small under the car but I did me sure them and scale them up and they work out to be 19 inch rims but they just seem very small so put some from a fujimi nissan gtr under which looked alot better but they were at 22 inch in 1/1 scale and can't find any good looking 21 or 22 inch after market rims and tyres that I like so sticking with the 19s. Oh and also I think they have been pre painted black.

20161017_132053_zps5hdgecsr.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 3

I get the lingo mbdesignart I believe my eldest would call it either "on point" or "fleek" what ever the hell that means. 

Roger you know me so well, as you will see below, I start out most builds out the box but add this or that hear and there. Well this one isn't that different. 

So as alluded to above I have taken some slightly small/crazy steps with this build today. This aoshima kit has no engine but I know they make a standard gt86 with full engine details so I know that a small 4 cylinder can fit in with some ease and no modifications to the kit. This is what I have done. 

20161019_171756_zps0nf4saii.jpg

I had a ferrari Enzo engine from an old tamiya kit that I lost parts for the body on and it was cheaper buying a whole new kit than a replacement sprue from the tamiya dealer here in the uk, so I was just interested to see how close a big v12 would fit. I did have to cut the gear box off the backend of tge engine as it was obviously ment for a mid rear drive configuration not front to rear drive but the small gear box parts that were in the toyota kit (oddly as there is nothing else for the drive train) fit the ferrari engine perfectly in the hole left that I cut. The chassis for the car had to be cut out slightly to allow the extra depth for the bonnet to close and I can't have the normal air intake for the ferrari engine so am working on a new one to fit better. But it works. I will have a ferrari v12 powered toyota rocket bunny car. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Roger. 

Right so very slow work on models of late due to actual work picking up quite substantially but I have had a few bit done here and there. 

So the car with a little bit of primer on the rear to check the rear arches as they just didn't look right for some reason but that just turned out to be the colour of the parts playing tricks on my eyes. 

20161103_145626_zpsq22v0y9e.jpg

The engine is now in and I have got the air inlet pipes in place though the top plate does need cleaning up and a few bits added.

20161103_145637_zpsd92ym3ak.jpg

I got the mounts for the engine made up. Again a little bit more work is needed to make them look as though they were ment to be there 

20161103_145704_zpsiqryxxn2.jpg

I needed to extend the gap between the ferrari engine and the toyota gearbox with a bit of 2mm plastic card. 

20161103_145740_zpsnxzodrme.jpg

As I said most of above still needs a little more work to tidy bits up before painting but the engine now sits in the car on its own without me needing to hold it so I call this a success at this points.

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

Shaun,

How many yards per tyre will this thing do?! If the drive ever gets through the Toyota gearbox that is :o;) It's all looking rather good. Just a thought would the Ferrari gearbox slot into the back axle somehow, purely for better weight distribution?

Mark

Thanks for the comments. 

And mark I did try and use the whole enzo engine and gearbox as 1 but it was just too long as it was ment for a mid engined rear drive configuration not front to rear like this. I think if I remember correctly the size of the bit I cut off was longer than the engine block which is crazy but I suppose you need alot of space for a v12. Honestly I'm not too worried though as most of these bits won't be seen once it's done as there is a big plate that goes on the bottom that hides the gearbox and not much will be seen from the top once the exhausts are fixed in and all the other little gubbins will hide alot also. 

Funnily enough though I did have one of my friends send me a link to a Facebook page of a guy who in real life swapped a ferrari 458 engine into a gt86 and it looks mad. Honestly I had no idea about this before I started mine but you know what they say about great minds lol 

Here's a link to a youtube video 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Right so moving on with this build and not much has been done as the f40 is taking up alot of my modelling time as it was in such bad condition when I got it.

But I have now fully primered the body, there are a few bad spots that need fixing but it's very close to getting some colour 

20161111_134826_zpsnvkafxea.jpg

Firstly I apologise for this next picture I took it in a rush. The engine has also now been painted in its under coat and the headers have been painted red 

20161111_135030_zpsrr7nzshs.jpg

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some progress on this build 

I have got some paint on the car and I must say I do like subaru blue over a darkish grey primer. 

20161128_132756_zpsxz9ctkas.jpg

I am just starting the clear coat now so should have some shiny pictures soon 

Shaun

• Like 3

Right so I didn't get the chance get to much done to this build recently but the car has now had a few coats of clear. Maybe I will just clear up the areas where decals will be going a get some final clear on.

20161205_150813_zpszu3hd2bg.jpg

20161205_150816_zps4rwrdl2l.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow almost 2 weeks since I updated this thread, I really have been letting my hobby down lol

Well I am ashamed to say it but there is not much progress really on this apart from I decalled the car with all it greddy and rocket bunny logos. I have stuck to the instructions in some areas but then let my artistic licence free on others with the huge amount of decals on the sheet. 

20161218_104500_zpsdh2jxfyn.jpg

The boot lid 

20161218_104512_zpszayoa2yi.jpg

And altogether 

20161218_104543_zpsa985xtt9.jpg

There are a few things holding this build up apart from my day job and the festive season, those mainly being trying to find a decent set of rims as I think at the start of the thread I was uncertain on whether to keep the kit rims or change them, well now I have decided I hate the kit rims and they need to change, my top pick at them moment are a set of bbs lm rims similar to that of tamiyas porsche gt2 road car but they may be too common a choice with tuner cars. Also I am weighing up the idea to carbon decal the roof panel but I am really undecided on that at this point. 

More soon 

Shaun

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

Please no carbon. Looks so cheap on roadcars as it most times isn't real, just foil. Though on this car it might look believable.

That's the exact problem I am thinking that most of these little 86s the carbon would be fake but then thinking of what companies like rocket bunny and liberty walk do on their modded cars it may work. 

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Hamden said:

Body looks good with the decals on!

I'm another in the no carbon camp, having said that it's your model build it how you want!

Roger 

And then Roger you have the other part of the carbon decision of its mine and I will do it how I want at the end of the day, but coming to that decision of carbon vs no carbon (as small as it seems) is a really big call as there would be no going back. 

And back to the build 

So firstly my other half paid for the wheels I bought for this as a panic present so I must thank her for these. In the packet the wheels came in there is also a set of brakes, me being me I wanted to see the differences between them and the kit ones and I think you will agree even though the brakes that came with the wheels are in an awful plated chrome look they are miles ahead of the standard aoshima brakes.

20161228_133357_zpsgv4cdcxl.jpg

There is one small problem though and that is I need to keep the hub bit on the back of the aoshima brakes and the centre so I al just cutting the disk and caliper off the aoshima parts and trying to keep as much of the plastic on the backside of the brake disks as that will be the mounting points for the new brakes. It was a pain but I have done one, just 3 more to go 

20161228_133346_zpshtndkzuj.jpg

These are the new rims. From what I can see they are a more modern take on the old bbs rims porsche used to use back in the day as these don't have the deep dish on the rears. Also it maybe pretty hard to see but the new brakes are under the rim on the left and old under the rim on the right. 

20161228_133442_zpstyath2is.jpg

And just a quick mock up with the car before it gets some clear coat over the decals. Oh and for those that have seen the older bbs lm rims will know they traditionally came with the centre part gold, I like that idea of having the silver rim with a colour inner but I feel that gold will make this look too subaru as it's a subaru blue for the body colour, my other half suggested a clear purple but I just don't know, what I do know is though is they won't be staying silver 

20161228_133120_zpswo4hjflv.jpg

And finally I had a slight mishap with the bonnet, I had I laid down on my desk and accidentally put something on top of it while looking for something and broke the attachment point that goes on the the car which took a small corner off with it on the top surface so had to fix this and redo the paint work on it. But this did give me a chance to use one of my other Christmas gifts (a nice new iwata airbrush) and got some clear coat over the Base colour today. This is only after 2 coats 1 mist and 1 medium, I can't wait to see how the final coat will look after the decals now and it's also shown me that my old airbrush was really old and on its last legs as this one needed no effort at all to getting an even coverage. 

20161228_132848_zpsgv2bzscr.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

A very small date on this.

Mainly I have been working on the interior but I don't really take pictures of that so there are none at the moment but I did get the car glossed and last fer decals on 

20170101_115219_zps7ajq2uve.jpg

20170101_115229_zpsguo2nvxh.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 3

Right so it's time for a quick update 

The body has now been micromeshed in areas just to take a few bits of dust or the odd eyelash out 

20170108_134055_zpszrs46qg2.jpg

20170108_134110_zpsjmpi8beo.jpg

20170108_134120_zpss1jcrxpr.jpg

It's a hard colour to photograph properly but it's done just needs some wax then carefully get all the lights and such in 

The interior parts have been stuck on the chassis also 

20170108_151503_zpsch7m7r1z.jpg

20170108_151516_zpshbavjs2u.jpg

More soon 

• Like 1

Don't worry rob the brakes are not finished yet.

On with the build.

The engine is near enough done now minus a few bits I can't get on till the body is on. Oh and the left cover us sitting up away from the block as it has not bee glued yet 

20170111_181533_zpsmt6tezga.jpg

And now the body is on permanently and the last few engine hits finished 

20170112_114557_zps4z9h5ttg.jpg

The rear end is now almost finished 

20170112_114701_zpsnyfgyr8k.jpg

And I tried my hand at panel lines they are not too bad but there is a lot of room for improvement 

20170112_114632_zpseyxwjqha.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right I'm almost there with this build now.

The wheels have been striped of the chrome paint as I messed up my original plan on them as the masking tape wouldn't stick to the rim, then repainted with a mix of tamiya paints. The pirelli markings are from an old revell redbull f1 kit 

20170120_153536_zpshr677kg8.jpg

The number plates have been painted and had decals put on.

20170120_154436_zpsasfno98e.jpg

The rear wing has been finished also 

20170120_153551_zpsawl5avrn.jpg

More soon 

Shaun

• Like 1

And its done. 

here's a quick sneakpeek but the whole car will bein the rfi section very shortly so go check it out 

20170122_145213_zpsnnmdm2or.jpg

My thanks goes to those who watched and commented.

More in my other builds soon 

Shaun

• Like 1