The Big Red Lo

krow113

Thanks kpnuts

Wheels got painted and although the pics look good there are some minor issues , some more polishing as I like the gloss finish and have no flat finish' on the model save the engine.

This is one of the toughest operations on the model. I used 1/16" drafting tape (a mistake) in conjunction with 1/2" Tamiya tape. Use the plastic tape if possible , my drafting tape was like masking tape , so my edge is a little crappy in some areas. Tape off the edge of the rim first with 1/2" then do the demarcation line in the 1/16"

I' ll fix them up:

IMG-4462.jpg

IMG-4463.jpg

IMG-4476.jpg

2 hours

Edited by krow113

• 1 month later...

Happily returning here .

A Gotha safely put to bed.

Beakin' off aboot electrical accy's and upgrading the kits wiring components can't just about  'playing the big shot'  and looks to be a worthwhile endeavor.

I have a parts manual and a service manual now. I immediately checked the part numbers of a few items and found the 2013 (kit year ) carries  parts from 1999. This is good as there is a 2000 Fat Boy sitting less than a 1/2 mile away. My buds bike will be the dimensioning mule for the additional parts. There will be a lot of them , each one will add its tiny bit more realism to the model.

Starting by printing off the relevant parts pages:

IMG-5156.jpg

IMG-5157.jpg

This helps immensely with positioning and dimensioning , the components and wiring are a visible part of the bike.

Laser-boy today:

IMG-5218.jpg

IMG-5219.jpg

Test shots ; as I go up and down in power and speed you can see the progression , and at some point the material reveals itself as perhaps too soft. The file cuts nice , just the material melts back together .

Natural progression , going up /down with power and speed results in a passable part:

IMG-5224.jpg

IMG-5225.jpg

The throttle lock wheel in 1/6 scale is 4mm in dia and 1mm thick.

Really happy with this , its very fine work and the laser came through really well.

The first part of a trans-kit for the model !

1 hour.

Edited by krow113

Another detail sorted.

This is the completely missing clutch adjustment rubber cover:

IMG-5278.jpg

Under this cover is the clutch cable slack adjuster , a threaded hex tube with a locknut.

After agonising how to make one  , it became pretty clear after dimensioning my buddys Hog , that it could be turned from a length of threaded rod !

Bonus and rather easy , it looks the part with kit clutch cable ran through it.

harleydavidson-softail-fat-boy-lo-11-3.j

A nice easy 1 hour.

Edited by krow113
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Delayar said:

Hi!

Still taking notes for my own build.

What diameter rod did you use for the clutch cable adjuster?

Cheers,

Markus

Thanks for the interest and commenting ,  Markus.

The rubber cover was made from a coarse threaded rod that is .180" in diameter.

If you have lathe skills , it takes an hour or so to make.

Edited by krow113

Final red coats:

IMG-5374.jpg

And the wheels. Not the easiest of procedures painting the inside black. Use the wrong tape and you'll need to redo them.

I'm almost ready to remove alla the finish and start from bare plastic , the kit flaws and my mistake moving me in that direction.

Here I have ,mounted them in the lathe ready to try to remove the black or smooth it out for fixing:

IMG-5378.jpg

• 1 year later...

Long time no input...

Wrecking the wheel finish turned off the work flow here. 

Its taken this long for me to look at it again.

Here are the wheels in gloss black first coats , some flaws , so I'll begin the slog back to a proper finish:

IMG-6696.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Well , well ,well , right , right , right moi little droogs !

As it happens I came across this actual chopper at a good price, had to be good for me to buy it:

IMG-6617.jpg

Not at all what I would normally build. The pic shows a bike but believe me it has never been a bike , not finished and no where near to it.

Anyway it came with 2 engines:

IMG-7559.jpg

One the left is an 'A' engine , the headless on the right is yer 'B' engine .

Softail H-D models came with the 'B' engine , all others came with the 'A' engine. The 'B' denotes the balancing gear inside the engine case'.

Both have some of the sensors I wanted to replicate for my models engine:

IMG-7564.jpg

Looking at the b engine we can see the crankcase position sensor in the upper section of the pic and the battery charging wires underneath.

The CPS is close to the speed sensor on the transmission in size and look.

This work has been done to prepare for an onslaught of work on this model during the Xmas-NY week and hopefully continue on in the new year.

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking of this model.

Also been busy finishing the chopper from an earlier post.

Just finished pipe fabrication:

IMG-8670.jpg

Been long enough off the model , some real difficult issues to be resolved for work to recommence.

I'm thinking on it...