1:48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter

Thank you! I do wonder if it is a bit subtle. It doesn't show up as well in the pictures as it does in real life, but I do wonder if once the clear coats and weathering are on, whether the effect will be as good. But this is what we have, and time will tell.

Just had a lovely morning of masking and airbrushing.

IMG_4445%20Large_zpse04xiijq.jpg

IMG_4446%20Large_zpsjwetpphd.jpg

More patchwork.

Since I used up all the preshading already, I laid down some more before putting the "dark earth" on.

IMG_4447%20Large_zpsmgrvwakw.jpg

IMG_4448%20Large_zpskejqmbzc.jpg

After applying the dark earth panel by panel again, I also added a little white to the paint and gently misted some on in some panel centers. Doesn't show very well in the pics again, but it seems to help with tone and variation somewhat.

Anyway - moment of truth.

IMG_4455%20Large_zpskav6dkam.jpg

IMG_4449%20Large_zpsgqr19ew8.jpg

Not too bad - a couple of small areas need touch up, but overall OK. Once it is finished and weathered I think it will look reasonable.

• Like 10

Thanks all. Overall I'm happy with how this is progressing, but there are definitely areas to work on. For instance:

Cockpit - next time I'll try an overall black primer, and see if I can get better shading as a base for washes etc.

Preshading - I think I may have gone too light, we'll see what happens but some of the effects of the preshading may be lost as weathering and top coats get applied. Next time I may again go with a black primer layer and try a more "mottled" shading approach.

Camouflage - needs more careful application of the boundaries - that sharp kink in the dark earth on the port side just below the gunners canopy - that's all wrong. I may yet attempt to fixt it - may live with it. Haven't decided.

Camouflage on the wing leading edges isn't quite properly placed. Close enough for this go.

Still - has the right look to it, I'm pretty happy. Keep on keeping on! Having got to this stage I can taste the finish line ahead! :penguin:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some more progress. May not look like much, but engines and cowlings were completed and added, and the model has received its first clear coat. Needs another one or two coats before being glossy enough for decals. I used Vallejo acrylic copper for the front of the engine nacelle. Quite liking the Vallejo acrylic metals - having some decent results so far.

My approach of painting the engines and cowlings separately worked out, although in the end I think it may have been better to just have that all in place - I'm not convinced having the sprue glued in place for handling was really that much benefit. However, Tamiya fit being what it is, the engines and air intakes all went on without any need for filler, so that I was happy about.

I've also been working on the fiddly parts in readiness for finishing - you can just see in the background the propellers and wheels.

IMG_4472%20Large_zpsfsib6uf9.jpg

IMG_4474%20Large_zpsztcztypn.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now with wrinkly decals!

Always freaks me out how the microsol wrinkles up the big decals, but they have never failed to settle down flat and into recesses - so far.

IMG_4498%20Large_zpsgidwekot.jpg

• Like 5

I'm happy to report that the magic worked again, and the decals have settled nicely down into the panel recesses. Looking forward to sealing them up and getting some weathering done.

I keep thinking I'm on the home stretch, then I list out in my head the things that still need to be done to finish the model, and I realize I'm a little way off yet. :D

• Like 1

Dramatic progress update!

Well, not really. Yesterday I got a couple of clear coats on it, to seal in the decals. Had a bit of a fight - suffered a few runs which I had to sand off and go over again, but otherwise, ready for weathering.

I bought one of these Tamiya stand sets - wasn't sure that the wire one was going to be much use, since it is mainly designed for car bodies, but actually I really like it.

IMG_4499%20Large_zps26svdfkc.jpg

IMG_4508%20Large_zpsjgst49ot.jpg

Isn't it amazing how much work goes on and the model seems to look the same as it did 3 weeks ago? 

Working on the more fiddly bits too. Also had problems with bleed under of the masking tape, paint spatter and runs on these. Going to take a step back and reassess my airbrush techniques.

IMG_4505%20Large_zpsjkdgspym.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 3

Got a bit of weathering done - I'm using Flory washes, which I really like. They are very easy to use.

IMG_4512%20Large_zpssyc9xd9i.jpg

I'd like to get a bit more streaking from cannons and exhaust on there, then a bit of paint chipping, and it's on to matt overcoat and final assembly.

• Like 2

The finish line approaches! Just put on the matt top coat, so now just need to finish painting and attaching fiddly bits. Should have this done by tomorrow I think.

IMG_4525%20Large_zpsz263wx18.jpg

• Like 4