1:48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter

I bought this kit on a whim when I was in the model store a couple of weeks ago. Having access to the intertubes via phone is dangerous, because I looked this kit up while in the shop and the reviews were all very positive. So that was that. Anyway, this is a build I have going so I can turn to it while the paint is drying on my spitfire. It's a lovely kit, really well designed, with very clean moulding details.

I started off by undercoating with vallejo grey acrylic primer (after washing everything in soapy water of course), and then airbrushing interior green on the cockpit tub and inside the fuselage. I am using Ammo of Mig acrylics for the interior. I also washed the interior fuselage with Ammo of Mig interior wash.

IMG_4005%20Large_zpsun4gblqu.jpg

IMG_4004%20Large_zpsmslcdjzy.jpg

My original plan had been to basically paint everything for the cockpit on the sprues - but after reading a couple of other build threads, and thinking it through, I realised that would just result in having to redo and touch up a lot of stuff, so today I assembled the cockpit tub somewhat.

IMG_4000%20Large_zpswz5fo0zp.jpg

IMG_4001%20Large_zpst80kxgvm.jpg

IMG_4003%20Large_zpsfhnujajp.jpg

The decal sheet comes with some instrument dials.

IMG_4010%20Large_zpsnqj52fuh.jpg

They are a little bit off register, but I don't think it's going to be possible to make that out through the cockpit windshield, and they will likely add just a little more detail to the instrument panel, so I will use them. I'll also make some seatbelts, but first I have to finish painting and weathering the tub.

• Like 3

Been working on the cockpit a little more. Paid some attention to the instrument panels.

IMG_4077%20Large_zps23sekxok.jpg

Need to a try a bit of wash and weathering. I have some weathering powder - not sure how to use it. Just lightly brush it on over the dried washed cockpit? 

Started assembling the wings. They go together very will. I did a dry fit to the fuselage to see what I'm up against later. If I'm careful, there really shouldn't be much in the way of filling and sanding when the wings go on.

IMG_4076%20Large_zpsg4vpkpms.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you!

Gave the cockpit a bit of a wash. It definitely helps, but a bit subtle maybe? I may do it again.

I need to do something about the bulkhead at least, that looks pretty bad.

IMG_4087%20Large_zps3ikq41je.jpg

Started having a look at a set of Eduard seatbelts too. This will be the only aftermarket add on to this model. I think adding some decent straps helps a lot. These are not fixed in place yet, since I'm not done painting. Need to try dry brushing some highlights and details.

IMG_4086%20Large_zpsgrnmzvio.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 4

A bit more work on the cockpit. I think I'll call it good enough at this point. Those seat belts are very fiddly.

IMG_4093%20Large_zps557hcjgq.jpg

IMG_4092%20Large_zpswh4yacbz.jpg

I just noticed one of my instrument dial decals fell off. Dammit.

Edited by propforward
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

This one got sidelined a bit, as two other models approached the finishing line and got all my attention. Now that they are done, I have picked this up again.

Not too much to show yet, but wings are on, and some other assemblies together.

IMG_0081%20Large_zpsg35ikxuw.jpg

The undercarriage assemblies are really well moulded I reckon.

IMG_0075%20Large_zpsb1xfkjnt.jpg

IMG_0074%20Large_zpso1r5fld6.jpg

I think it's moving along nicely now. I should think I'll get to start painting next weekend, so looking forward to that!

Edited by propforward
speling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Little bit of progress. I haven't had too much modelling time over the last month or so, but have managed to get the joints smoothed out, and did a little detail work on engines. All I did there was paint the engines black and dry brush them with aluminum enamel. I will likely add some pin washes as well.

IMG_0109%20Large_zpsmnvbjxtx.jpg

Canopy went on yesterday

IMG_0114%20Large_zpsrioaah63.jpg

And then I drilled holes in the front of the engine mount areas, and glued some sprue in place as an aid to holding the model for handling during painting.

IMG_0119%20Large_zpszfhd1k26.jpg

IMG_0121%20Large_zpsb4o7d8va.jpg

Works nicely. I am going to add the engiines and cowls after the main painting is done. I have done a dry fit of the various parts, and they really fit well, I can see that no filler will be needed, so this will make it a little easier for painting.

I just got done wiping the model down with alcohol, so after bacon and eggs I am looking forward to priming, maybe even get some pre shading done today.

• Like 5

I sprayed the canopy interior green, to give the "internal framing" the right look. Hope that works out.

IMG_0122%20Large_zpseled9zvx.jpg

And started priming.

IMG_0129%20Large_zpsnldyjlhx.jpg

I'm using Vallejo polyeurethane primer. One more coat and it will be ready for preshading.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go at some pre shading and put on the first layer of the azure blue. I'm using AK Interactive paints - I like them a lot. This is my second try at using the pre shading technique. First time I tried it was on a Spitfire I made at the end of last year, and I sprayed the panel lines black, but pretty much hid them all because I sprayed over the whole model. This time, after reading Aaron Skinner's book on airbrushing models (the FineScale Modeller book) I'm going panel by panel. I'm fairly pleased with the result. Not perfect, but it definitely breaks up the monotony of a large, uniform paint layer. I need one more pass in a few places, but I must say that I'm somewhat chuffed with this.

IMG_4402%20Large_zpsxgugamsj.jpg

IMG_4401%20Large_zpsvwlvrjzr.jpg

Edited by propforward
  • Like 5

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. I toned the panel lines just a bit more, and also sprayed some of the panels with a very slightly lighter shade, although I don't think that did very much for it.

IMG_4405%20Large_zpsmjwmmjas.jpg

IMG_4407%20Large_zpsswsfwnk7.jpg

I am very excited to do the upper surfaces - didn't quite have time to do those today, so hopefully get those done next weekend.

• Like 4

Not a fan of pre-shading but I didn't do the panel by panel technique last time I tried it. I like the way yours has come out - I may try that with my next paint job.

• Like 1

At first it seems really monotonous, but it actually doesn't take long, and you get a lot of control over blending in each panel, so that you can have some variation across the model.

Keeping at it - this morning the model was in this state on top:

IMG_4412%20Large_zpsppce1fh0.jpg

So after the usual patchwork of masking on the underside:

IMG_4413%20Large_zpsctetjgph.jpg

I went at the top with the middle stone part of the upper camoflage. First pass:

IMG_4414%20Large_zpsqeyhdbmv.jpg

And after a few more passes and some blending:

IMG_4418%20Large_zpsk8ib1b0z.jpg

Let this cure for a couple of hours, maybe even overnight, and then on to the second part of the camoflage.

• Like 2