Helicopter tRansport Sikorsky-2 Marines workhorse

71chally

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Can never have enough Whirlwinds or Wessex!

Indeed!!!

i have the Italeri HO4S kit and am thinking of a HAS Mk2 or HAR Mk3 as shown in the thread below. I am however very partial to the HAS Mk.7 blue/yellow scheme but have no kit or conversion set for that. Let's hope the secret Airfix release is one of these in 1/72!

But enough diversion, back to your build please. 

• Like 1

Ah, I'm stuck in work for next two days, so no progress.

Nice images, the first one looks to be a HAR.1 or HAS.3 (the Mk.2 was the RAF HAR.2)

The second dark blue one is a Sikorsky built Whirlwind HAR.21 or HAS.22, I'm leaning towards the former with what looks to be a single upper aerial.

Will look at references when I get home to see if I can get a serial for that second one.

Edit,

@abat , just looked up Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, 700 Sqn had Whirlwind HAS.22 WV718 coded 528 on strength.

Looking at the image again, I think I can just make out the base of the second upper aerial, which would suggest a 22.

Edited by 71chally

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Ah, I'm stuck in work for next two days, so no progress.

Nice images, the first one looks to be a HAR.1 or HAS.3 (the Mk.2 was the RAF HAR.2)

The second dark blue one is a Sikorsky built Whirlwind HAR.21 or HAS.22, I'm leaning towards the former with what looks to be a single upper aerial.

Will look at references when I get home to see if I can get a serial for that second one.

Edit,

@abat , just looked up Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, 700 Sqn had Whirlwind HAS.22 WV718 coded 528 on strength.

Looking at the image again, I think I can just make out the base of the second upper aerial, which would suggest a 22.

Excellent detective work. 

Just found a drawing of 528 in the October 1 1987 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling. Sometimes the answer is right under your nose!  

Don't want to breach copyright so I won't post the drawing, but the captions state: 

Sikorsky Whirlwind HAS.22 WV218/528.

Finish overall sea blue gloss (including main rotors) which are tipped yellow with each blade identified with white, red and green outer stripes. Tail rotors are black and orange-yellow. Serials and lettering are white, roundels being outlined in yellow. Tail band orange-yellow with red arrow and black lettering. 

• Like 1