Helicopter tRansport Sikorsky-2 Marines workhorse

71chally

I’ve been intending on building a couple of Westland Whirlwinds, however a photograph came up on this site which has really inspired me to build something a bit left field for me (as British aviation fan).

So my first build is going to be a HRS-2 which was the US Marines version of the Sikorsky S-55, this is based on the Italeri HO4S-3 (Helicopter Observation 4th type Sikorsky) kit, the version of the kit with the straight tail boom as opposed the H-19 boxings.

I know very little about the Marines and US Navy aircraft but this HRS site is absolutely superb for reference pictures and information, http://www.hrs-helicopter.com/

There are some really useful walkaround and interior shots of a HRS-3 restoration here, http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/hrs3,sikorsky/Interesting

BuNo127783.2,%20NAF%20Washington,%2029Ap

• Like 4

Though this HO4S boxing of the kit is the closest to the HRS, some mods still need to be made.

As it represents a -3 with the more powerful Wright engine it will need the distinctive engine intake grilles modifying to cover a -1 & 2 with the P&W engine.

The HRS-2 was exported to the British as the Whirlwind HAR.21 before Westland produced the Whirlwind, and so many of these mods will cover that type as well.  The HAS.22 was similarly a British service HO4S-3.

Although Italeri (& Revell) made changes in the kits to represent some changes between types (most noticeably the drooped boom) they unfortunately didn’t change the windscreen assembly which is only correct for USAF and Army H-19 Chickasaws.  These had distinctive extra stout vertical frames.

30280174821_f7e2f10e43_b.jpgItaleri Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

First modifications then was to remove the extra frames and that awful toyish molded in windscreen wiper.  Also the upper windows in the cabin roof don't exist on HRS versions and are removed to form a solid roof. 

The orange lines and circles show the items to be (very carefully!) removed.

The wiper was harder to deal with than the frames, and even if I was making a H-19 I would remove this item. Only some S-55s/Whirlwinds had wipers fitted and when they were they were mounted differently to the kit example, so really worth having reference shots of the one your building.

I used a No10 scalpel to remove the plastic, then carefully sanded smooth with P700 paper, before finishing with toothpaste on a cotton bud to bring up the glazing shine again.

This style windscreen had four vertical bars fitted inside of the screen, and these will be added later.

30069267210_bfdaa08cf1_b.jpgItaleri Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr 

The HRS does have some small differences to the HO4S, and these have been removed, as shown by the orange circles.  These include a fitting high up aft on both sides of the fuselage, the aft underbelly fairing, light/beacon behind the rotor head and a small raised disc on the lower port fuselage side.

The grilles have been modified from a -3 to the -2 layout by carefully using a scalpel, and the erroneous oil filler cap within the grille work on the port side removed.

30280175111_a0ee18da38_b.jpgItaleri Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

I have added some basic cabin structure detail, with lengths of sprue, and the interior will be painted a light blueish grey, which most of the Sikorsky built machines seem to be painted in.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Next little job is the cabin interior.  Most of the S-55 series were supplied with a quilted cabin insulation.

My way of achieving this is to use foil that is pressed against a mesh.  The heavier the foil the better I find, so I used this champagne bottle top foil pressed against the only mesh I can find, a sieve.

Apologies for these pics, as a photographer I loath using camera phones, but I left my SLR at work

29972727414_786ee7fec5_c.jpgItaleri HRS-2 cabin by James Thomas, on Flickr

30304616890_d8bb9f6875_c.jpgItaleri HRS-2 cabin by James Thomas, on Flickr

29972726684_90b83759fa_c.jpgItaleri HRS-2 cabin by James Thomas, on Flickr

30604628985_07a0cf078b_c.jpgItaleri HRS-2 cabin by James Thomas, on Flickr

I cut the foil to shape and for the window apertures first, and then embossed it with the mesh, the firts three pics are a prototype panel, the second one in the last shot was much better.

There is a (I think) heating duct that runs along the top of the windows so I formed this over a ruler, the quilting is loosely placed in the cabin half in the last shot.

Having done that, some HRSs' flew without the insulation (guessing for weight loss), and I need to determine that my actual subject had it fitted.

Edited by 71chally
grammar
  • Like 11

You've certainly got my attention; like many, I long for a good quality 1/48 RN Whirlwind, and you may be showing the way...

Love the quioted insulation idea.  Duly stashed away in my (bulging) plagiarism file.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Unless you're building a Walter there's no better way of grabbing my attention than by building Walt's older brother

Nice one James

Crisp, that plagiarism file?

I hope you keep it handy, I'd like to dip in there occasionally meself.

;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind comments

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You've certainly got my attention; like many, I long for a good quality 1/48 RN Whirlwind, and you may be showing the way...

Absolutely, I find it hard to believe that the Whirlwind or S-55 family hasn't been kitted in modern times in 48th scale.

I anxiously await every new Airfix announcement, thinking they will do it. 

The Wessex is well catered for (justifiably so), but really hope the dear old Whirlwind will be along soon.  The variants and operators list is huge, so there must be a good market for a kit.  I reckon if the parts breakdown was well thought out, that pretty much all variants could be covered.

So glad to come across your build James. Can I ask what you undercoat your foil with. I've used foil for quilting in the past with Tamiya fine grey primer but the paint doesn't stick very strongly. 

• Like 1

Abat, its's just Humbrol 165 (+ dash of white) hand brushed straight on to the foil, seems to coat and stick really well.

I've since brought a sieve for this express purpose, have cut out a large piece of the mesh to use on a flat surface, lay the foil over it and keep rolling over the foil with blu tac/similar and get even better quilted results.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I can't believe that it's been almost a year since I touched this project.

Family life has got in the way of modelling, such is life I s'pose.

Anyway, emptied out the contents to see where I was at

37222544941_29d9d84b48_c.jpgItaleri I:72 Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

As you can see, most of the cockpit was together. 

I say was, reading @perdu exquisite build threads here has inspired me to realise that it wasn't good enough!

So, I am going to add detail to the cockpit, basically it needs the collective levers, rudder (tail rotor control in this case) pedals and various small details making up and adding to it.

I've also found some really good pictures of a HRS restoration and extracts from the pilots notes. 

These have shown me that though the kits instrument panel and coaming is pretty good for H-19s and other versions of the S55, it isn't right for the HRS or HO4S family.

The panel should be a lot more rounded at the upper side edges and the coaming doesn't extend over the top to act as a glare shield as in the other versions.

36513323814_66664ded57_z.jpgHRS-1 cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

I managed to separate the instrument panel from the cockpit floor assembly. 

By removing the glare shield with a knife it almost gets the panel to the right shape, I did a bit more finessing of the shape and also narrowed it by reducing the top edge by a good 2-3mm in height.  I have also removed the lower part to the panel, to allow room for the rudder pedals to fit.

37365422935_d48cfb0eee_c.jpgItaleri 1:72 Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The panel has been modified, rudder pedals made up and some detail added to the seats.

The rudder pedals on actual S55s are literally just bars, this has made them very easy to replicate with stretched sprue. The pilot pedals have the addition of wheel brake pedals, so these will be added.

DSC_1367

Picture courtsesy of Flying Leathernecks Aviation Museum Flickr site here https://www.flickr.com/photos/65883244@N03/

The windscreen assembly needed a final polish up as I could still see a ghost of where the kits wiper was molded in. 

I had also applied light grey paint to the frames, this was to represent the interior framework colour, however from the window sill up the cockpit has black framework. 

I removed the grey paint and gave the transparency a rubbing with a Halfords mesh polishing pad. These foam backed pads a really useful, and are a good step to final polishing.

Finally I went over the windscreen with toothpaste, vigorously rubbing it in with a cotton buds before cleaning away with water. The old traditional white toothpaste is best for this, but only had this blue coloured one here - wifes' choice.

36552858613_4143b03065_c.jpgItaleri 1:72 Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

37193046412_0621186534_c.jpgItaleri 1:72 Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

When working on a transparency like this, always support it really well from behind with  a good wedge of Blu-tack or Plasticine etc, this dramatically reduces the risk of hairline cracking or even breaking the item.

I'm really pleased with how the screen has turned out, looking at it now I wouldn't know that two extra pillars and the wiper were originally molded into it.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

The bottom of the kit also needs modifying.

All Sikorsky S.55s and Westland Whirlwinds feature a distinctive tabloid shaped fairing on there undersides.  This fairing houses the inter fuel tank piping and fuel drains, on HRS types  there is also a cut out which allows for space for the underslung load hook and parts.  this cutout is also seen other versions, but can also be panelled over.

In the first picture of the thread you can see the fairing and cutout quite well.

36553745593_f00ba45f27_c.jpgHRS-2 025 (1200x801)1 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The kit represents the fairing, but also has another odd fairing and protrusion just aft of it.  I'm not sure what that is, could have been unique to the aircraft that Italeri surveyed, but I haven't seen it on any HRS, or indeed other S.55 variants.

For me the easiest way to tackle the underside is to completely remove the fairing and the aft piece and make up a new fairing, shown by the orange dashed lines.

Alternatively you could remove just the aft part, from the green lines back, and make up a new aft part of the fairing.

37365423215_c014e805b0_c.jpgItaleri 1:72 Sikorsky HRS-2 by James Thomas, on Flickr

The fairing was drawn on to a piece of 3mm plasticard and then shaped, before slightly tapering towards the underside the vertical edges.  I then cut the centre hole out.

I removed the kits' fairing from the fuselage underside by scoring across it from the side with a scalpel, and then snapping off, much like I would with a vacform kit.  This then leaves more surface plastic on the fuselage to deal with for when the new fairing gets added to it.

I've also reinstated the panel lines in the areas where I have modified the engine side grills from the later to the early type.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 6

Oi

Im not sure I want the blame for this ye beggar

Then again as it is going to be a marvel maybe its not so bad

:)

It is remarkable how the screen changed in the production process, framed windows like the Wessex at first then in later days the single bent screen with stiffeners inside

The underside fairing looks to be history in its wrong form, coming along nicely

I firmly expect your additions to be nice and tidy, I  intend trying to work tidy in all my future builds

You tidy lot put me to shame

• Like 1

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Oi

Im not sure I want the blame for this ye beggar

Then again as it is going to be a marvel maybe its not so bad

:)

It is remarkable how the screen changed in the production process, framed windows like the Wessex at first then in later days the single bent screen with stiffeners inside

I can only aspire...

Definitely not tidy, but for a kit of this size I can find a small clearing for the photos!

The windscreen thing is interesting, it doesn't seem to be production period based.

The 'clear' screen was there from the beginning, even on the prototype S.55, but only the Navy and Marines seemed to have accepted this and HO4S and HRS are only seen with this type, right through their production.  The Westland aircraft were based on the HRS and HO4S, and they all seemed to have had the clear screen.

The US Air Force and Army seemed to have stipulated those heavy side pillars for their earlier H-19s, but from the H-19C on the pillars tend to disappear.  

Why they felt it needed these pillars I yet not know!

BTW, I think this is one of the most dramatic single aircraft exhibits anywhere, some images of it on the net really need a double take to see it's not a real scene, HRS (actually a HO4S) at the National US Marines Corps Museum in Virginia.

2320329780_c696d9340e_b.jpgSikorsky HRS-1 Helicopter by Mr.TinDC, on Flickr

This superb picture courtesy to Mr.TinDC Flickr 

Thanks for the kind comments, nice to be at the desk again.

Next job is to modify the kits troop seats by removing the rather thick support pillars and making new ones from sprue, they need to be angled a bit as well.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

Great to see this start up again James. I was only just thinking of how to make a Whirlwind from the HO4S kit this week and this is the next best thing. Removing the window frames is a common requirement. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

Nice to see this resurrected as I missed the original start. Always like seeing the Whirlwind (even if it is the US version) the old choppers have a lot of character. I hear Airfix have a mystery unveil at Telford this year, what are the chances of a 1:48 Whirlwind? Heres hoping (and don't do what Trumpeter did and release the fixed wing version, that's just a waste of plastic!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

19 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

I hear Airfix have a mystery unveil at Telford this year, what are the chances of a 1:48 Whirlwind? Heres hoping (and don't do what Trumpeter did and release the fixed wing version, that's just a waste of plastic!

Absolutely, I wish to god that this would happen, we are dying for a 1:48 Whirlwind or S.55 series, seems such a simple thing to do.  There are loads about to survey, huge choice of operators/colours and options and would be a simple enough kit.  1:72 Whirlwind wouldn't go a miss either!

Thanks for the kind comments.

@abatAndrew, I'm planning a couple of Whirlwinds, a piston and a turbine, suspect that you will be well ahead of me on that.

Depending on what version you opt to build will dictate which base kit you use, though you may be able to modify.

Mks.21, 22, 1, 2, 3 and 4 had straight booms and will require the Italeri HO4S or Revell H-19A kit.  

Mks.5, 7, 9, 10 were built (and some HAR.2 & 4 later modified) with the drooped boom, the more stout vertical tail rotor support and straight tailplane, will require the Italeri H-19B kit.

Can never have enough Whirlwinds or Wessex!

• Like 2