King Tiger Interior & Exterior Acrylic Paint Sets

Mike

King Tiger Interior & Exterior Acrylic Paint Sets

Mig AMMO

boxtop.jpg

Launched to coincide with the new Takom King Tiger kit in 1:35 that we reviewed here, and for which AMMO drew the profiles and advised on colour choices, these two sets are out now.  They are broken down to Interior (Vol.1) and Exterior (Vol.2), and both consist of 6 x 17ml bottles of acrylic paint with dropper tops, and a stainless steel ball-bearing in each to aid mixing by shaking.  The boxes are cardboard with a hanger for display at one end, and inside is a clear carton holding the paints in situ, and allowing you to remove them en masse.

Vol.1 Interior Colours (A.MIG-7165)

The cramped interiors of German tanks were painted a cream colour where it counted, and left in red oxide primer where it didn't, and of course the ammo was either steel or brass cased, depending on a number of factors such as supplier and how short of strategic materials they were at the time.  The set includes the following shades to allow you to paint the basic colours of the interior, but if you intent to do any modulation of the colours, you will need to make sure you have additional shades on hand.

7165.jpg

A.MIG-003 Resedagrun

A.MIG-014 Rotbraun (floor)

A.MIG-017 Cremeweiss (interior)

A.MIG-194 Aluminium

A.MIG-197 Brass (ammunition)

A.MIG-218 Schwarzgrau (engine)

bin.jpg

Vol.2 Exterior Colours (A.MIG-7166)

Three main colours were in use during the period of the King Tiger's service, with a usual base of Dark Yellow, broken up with Olive Green, and Chocolate Brown in a huge number of variations.  Winter distemper camo was also applied, which is catered for in this set by the supply of a "washable" white paint, which can be applied and removed to show wear.  The tracks are painted a very dark brown, which will require some additional work to give a lifelike finish, and a number of wooden parts such as the jack block are visible amongst the pioneer tools.  In the set are the following colours:

7166.jpg

A.MIG-002 Olivegrun Opt.2

A.MIG-010 Dunkelgelb Mid War

A.MIG-015 Shokobraun

A.MIG-024 Washable White Camo

A.MIG-035 Dark Tracks

A.MIG-037 New Wood

On the back of the box are four profiles of alternatives from the kit boxings, all of which have the required colours called out next to their profiles, as shown below:

profiles.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

AMMO paints are by now a known quantity, and this combination of sets will doubtless find favour with anyone building a new King Tiger, no matter what the source kit, as well as those building any late war German armour.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

• Like 1

They brush paint okay, not as good as Vallejo but they do spray beautifully, I think they are optimised for spraying as you don't need to thin them at all, I used a Iwata TR1 0.3 needle, I used these Mig Ammo paints on my Jagdtiger build and my Sherman build and I think they really are Fantastic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2016 at 8:16 PM, Dads203 said:

They brush paint okay, not as good as Vallejo but they do spray beautifully, I think they are optimised for spraying as you don't need to thin them at all, I used a Iwata TR1 0.3 needle, I used these Mig Ammo paints on my Jagdtiger build and my Sherman build and I think they really are Fantastic.

Glad to read this Dan,  I've just ordered some ready for my Takom King Tiger :) . 

Great write up Mike by the way :)  

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike,

I've got some of these but I've yet to use them. My local hobby shop doesn't have any of the Mig acrylic thinners, do you have any experience using any other thinners with these, Tamiya etc that you would recommend?

Cheers,

Tom