Finnish Army BAB B armoured car

JackG

Finnish Army BAB B armoured car

(captured Soviet BA-20)

Continuation War, Summer 1941

kit: HobbyBoss Soviet BA-20 Armoured Car Mod.1937

Decals: Star Decals 35-895 Finnish Tanks in WW2

figures: converted Alpine WSS crewmen,  plus Hornet heads

extras: DEF Models resin tires (for Tamiya GAZ car)

Some dimensional/shape corrections done to kit, explained in the WiP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

30345443695_dc492d7612_b.jpg

A variety of these lightly armed cars were in use by the Finnish Army, exact number is not known, but at least 18 were on hand at the start of the Continuation War.  They appear to have been used mainly as liaison/dispatch and command vehicles.

30229305912_f67cc14b58_b.jpg

30259592231_407e15f354_b.jpg

29714201763_28ae696b6f_b.jpg

30345461975_5fb462299a_b.jpg

30345455515_473307d6f4_b.jpg

30250382092_dd7158b3c5_b.jpg

29736621754_127afc40d5_b.jpg

30280926241_6f2a501cc9_b.jpg

30250366412_0ecddfb4b2_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
fixed tail light detail, and replaced four shots of rear photos
  • Like 30

Excellent work. Both the WIP and the completed model.

I have the Alan kit of the BA-20 in my stash, and from what I can gather it suffers much of the same problems as the Hobby Boss kit plus a few extras. But your build has given me hope that it wont end up in the bin.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crayons said:

Excellent work. Both the WIP and the completed model.

I have the Alan kit of the BA-20 in my stash, and from what I can gather it suffers much of the same problems as the Hobby Boss kit plus a few extras. But your build has given me hope that it wont end up in the bin.

It looks like the Alan kit did at least get right the placement of the hinges atop the bonnet.

17 minutes ago, hampden80 said:

Sorry, just answered my own question by reading the whole thread. They are from Star Decals. Do you have a contact email for them?

John:rolleyes:

Their online webstore:      http://star-decals.net/

Contact information can be found there too.   Note the set I used was designed for the T-26 tank types, but wasn't overly concerned with what was correct size, style, etc.  According to this web source, there was a variety of markings/placement used early on before they became standardized.  http://www.geocities.ws/finnmilpge/fmp_ps_camo.html

I did do some extra work on the decals to eliminate edges.  This came in the form of a number of sessions of laying down future acrylic clear,  sanding and repeat.

regards,

Jack

The whole build and photography is amazing Jack; great work and art.

What really gets me is the figures. Having been working trying to "bring life" to them and it's not easy. Will check the WIP thread to see if there are some tips.

Thanks for posting, fantastic build and photography.

Robert

5 hours ago, JackG said:

It looks like the Alan kit did at least get right the placement of the hinges atop the bonnet.

One of the few things they got right. The rear plate is the worst. For whatever strange reason, Alan have moulded it as an angled plate instead of a curved plate.

• Like 1

Thank you Robert (Ceithearn), sinhow, Paul A H, Keith (KAYELL), AndyRM101, and John (Bullbasket).

-----------------------------------------

15 hours ago, Crayons said:

One of the few things they got right. The rear plate is the worst. For whatever strange reason, Alan have moulded it as an angled plate instead of a curved plate.

This is interesting, because when I look at online builds of the Alan kit, they all appear to be curved.  Did they re-issue the kit with corrected parts?  it is odd though, since that was a characteristic of the earlier FAI-M armoured car:

07.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

19 hours ago, hampden80 said:

I`m getting those decals as soon as i can. That inspired me to try an armour build.

John

John, just be sure to do a little research before acquiring a kit of the T-26.  The Star decal sets mention the tanks by the year they were produced, but many were upgrade before they entered the war to 1940/41 standards.  Mainly they replaced the rubber road wheels with all steel, and the engine grill had an armour cover added.

regards,

Jack

On 10/17/2016 at 11:54 AM, JackG said:

Thank you Robert (Ceithearn), sinhow, Paul A H, Keith (KAYELL), AndyRM101, and John (Bullbasket).

-----------------------------------------

This is interesting, because when I look at online builds of the Alan kit, they all appear to be curved.  Did they re-issue the kit with corrected parts?  it is odd though, since that was a characteristic of the earlier FAI-M armoured car:

07.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

John, just be sure to do a little research before acquiring a kit of the T-26.  The Star decal sets mention the tanks by the year they were produced, but many were upgrade before they entered the war to 1940/41 standards.  Mainly they replaced the rubber road wheels with all steel, and the engine grill had an armour cover added.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the heads up on that.

All the Best,

John

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 0:54 AM, JackG said:

Photo of the rear armour plate and roof of the Alan BA-20 kit I have:

Alan%20BA-20_zps3zyir1gi.jpg

From vague memory, there is/was a Dragon/Alan reboxing. They may have corrected the rear plate at that stage.

• Like 1