Airfix Autocar Tractor and F-1 Fuel Trailer

John

The boy and I were in Glasgow yesterday picking up this year's crop of past papers and study guides for his latest batch of Highers and,of course, a visit to Scott's Models had to be fitted in. I've been meaning to pick up the USAAF Bomber Resupply Set for a while and there it was, beckoning to me from the shelf. It would have been rude not to:

BRS1_zpsxvdcb5l3.png

I really like the look of the tractor and fuel trailer unit, so I'll start with these. Sprue photos to follow shortly.

John

• Like 4

The parts for the tractor and tanker are on sprues D and E. It's a detailed little model and will build up into something a fair size in 1/72:

BRS3_zps2tilt8gm.png

BRS2_zpsrfeqqtz9.png

To not quote Henry Ford, you can have any colour you like so long as it's Olive Drab. I don't build a lot of WWII US stuff, but I gather that Humbrol 108 is considered to be a good match for the OD of that period:

BRS4_zps1gdzukuo.png

so we'll probably go with that.

John

• Like 1

The tanker chassis is a neat one piece moulding to which is added the multi-part suspension and axle unit. There's a Humbrol paint pot to give an idea of the size:

BRS5_zpsgj9bvaew.png 

Fit of the suspension and axle components isn't 100% positive and needs to be lined up by eye. I used small amounts of Humbrol tube cement to give me a bit of adjustment time. The fit of the unit to the chassis is more positive but you need to be careful to keep everything level.

There's a fine mould parting seam on the inside of the chassis members that needs the attention of a sharp blade but apart from that the quality of the moulding is excellent.

JOhn

• Like 2

The tanker chassis was left to set up under moderate pressure to keep everything nice and square:

BRS6_zpsqgbp1bqo.png

Attention then turned to the tractor. About a dozen parts produce a nicely detailed chassis, suspension and transmission:

BRS8_zpshrub8zhp.png

BRS7_zps1egmonce.png

The ejection pin marks won't be apparent when the model is completed.

A general idea of the length of the rig:

BRS9_zpsrzfupryj.png

John

• Like 2

On 10/20/2016 at 3:11 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Nice one John

Sorry to go a bit :offtopic: but where is Scott's Models, for the next time we come down from the highlands to see what electric light and running water look like ? ;)

cheers Pat

Not far from the old Jamieson's shop and the High Court 9 St Margaret's Pl, Glasgow G1 5JY :

https://www.facebook.com/ScottsModelsUK/

John

• Like 1

A size 3 brush and a few well-thinned coats of Humbrol 108 brings us to here:

BRS10_zpsuzg6vajs.png

Also, prior to putting the tank halves together, there's a pump and hosereel unit to go in the back:

BRS11_zpsou662gfo.png

I found a photo online of the pump, but with a different valve arrangement:

BRS12_zpsbznuoahl.png

Plenty of opportunity for a bit of weathering here. I assume the disc is the pump flywheel.

John

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...