Bronco OV-10A - Academy 1/72 - Black Ponies USN

Finally had the time and the weather to upload something I've done this year!! This is the Academy kit of the Bronco in USN colours as part of the "Black Ponies" squadron VAL-4 serving during the Vietnam war.

35003247244_cdb4b23696_o.jpgbroncob 

In fact this was the OV-10D boxing but it comes with the parts to do the earlier version. I did also have to scrape off some of the lumps and bumps that I suspect were added later in the Bronco's career. The fit of the under-fuselage sponson is dreadful with a huge gap requiring a big dollup of Milliput to eliminate, and also remember to stuff as much weight as you can in the nose. The nose gear bay of mine is full of steel ball bearings hence no shots from underneath!

35003246924_5db2263ed0_o.jpgbroncoe 

I have seen a few other builders of this have problems with the canopy which is a four piece arrangement. I found the trouble was that the pieces making up the rear glazing were fractionally too large and with a lot of careful sanding and fitting, I got the pieces to fit quite neatly. 

35843404545_53210c4d96_o.jpgbroncod 

The weapon load was sourced from various places. The four shot Zunis are from the kit with the rocket heads being cocktail stick tips. The smaller rocket pods are from the Italeri NATO set and the two shot Zunis are from the Academy weapons set that comes with a free F-8 Crusader ;)

35674386442_9a406c8106_o.jpgbroncoa 

Decals are from the Fireball Modelworks set which has decals enough for pretty much any Vietnam Black Ponies machine, with inspiration from the link below. I have tried to show this machine as it appears in the video rather than on the decal instructions, although my load out is a bit different, but nonetheless authetnic enough I think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B9irR_1t6Q

35003246324_2a2d2c4581_o.jpgbroncoh 

35802853976_aa0150e446_o.jpgbroncoi 

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 40

Superb.  :thumbsup:

I'm a bit jealous, I bought the Academy kit with the intention of building a 'Black Pony' then discovered I'd need to buy 'weapons sets' with both a Crusader & a Phantom before I could load it how I wanted it.  :rolleyes:

Most excellent. I am very happy to see what you did with the kit. I will have to bookmark this as the kit is somewhat bland in comparison. I have both boxings so will turn my short nose early version into a navy bronco.

Great build of this not ugly but special looking plane - IMHO.

Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of its firepower.

Like it.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by WildeSau75

• 2 weeks later...