Dambusters 617 Sqn Avro Vulcan- XL360 1:72

Good afternoon all!

Finally. Finally I have completed this build, as I am sure many of you know the old Airfix Vulcan kit is in need of a re-tool and in its current state it requires A LOT of work!

So, shall we begin? :)

Kit: -Airfix Avro Vuclan 1:72

Aftermarket: -White Ensign Model (WEM) Interior

-WEM Bomb Bay

-WEM Exterior (airbrakes, landing gear PE inserts)

-Freightdog Exhausts

Scratchuilt Items: -ECM bay

-Interior of canopy (although I forgot to photograph this, it has a bulkhead built in with some texturing added to the interior)

Paints: -Vallejo Model Air (the majority of paints were mixed to obtain the required colours)

Weathering: -Vallejo panel wash

-AK Interactive engine oil wash

*Edit:

Decals: -Freightdog- RAF Neptunes and Avro Vulcans

WIP here, if you want: Click Here

Picture time!

DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1572.jpg

DSCN1578.jpg

DSCN1579.jpg

DSCN1576.jpg

DSCN1581.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1580.jpg

DSCN1582.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1574.jpg

DSCN1556.jpg

DSCN1552.jpg

DSCN1558.jpg

DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1573.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1563.jpg

DSCN1564.jpg

DSCN1575.jpg

DSCN1586.jpg

DSCN1588.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

(Don't worry I do not support the politics of East Germany! I just have obsession with Cold War history! :D )

Thanks for stopping by!

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 32

A really splendid looking Vulcan.  All the extra detailing you have put in looks superb. I especially like the rear crew cabin, which I haven't seen on a Vulcan model until now.  Great work.

• Like 1

TWO Vulcan's in the same week! And both superb! :goodjob:

What more can a man - who as a child was scared s...less when one afternoon the ground suddenly shaked, the sun was blocked out and when he ran out in the garden he was met by at least a whole squadron (well it felt like it! :winkgrin:) of Vulcans using his small town as targetpractice in less than 100 feet above the ground - ask for! :D

That marked me for life! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
Forgot the word 'for' at the end of the sentence! ;-)
  • Like 1

Hello,Sam - My compliments to you on a well-detailed build of my favourite 'Heavy',the majestic 'Vulcan'.The opened panels and interior details show the effort and skill you have bestowed upon this beauty.

This brings back many happy memories of watching the Vulcans at Scampton.I cannot give better praise than that.😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Greta big bird. I am waiting to start the same kit, still not confident in my skills as i also preparing for  scribing nightmare.

You managed that part. Maybe just lines could be more shallow, but anyway you done it and i admire.

best regards Djordje

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, djos said:

You managed that part. Maybe just lines could be more shallow

I couldn't agree more :D this was my first scribing attempt and if I was to ever take the decision to make another one, then the lines would certainly be shallower and the panel wash more subtle

Sam

Another one, great, keep my fingers crossed. If this was first scribing atempt, second will be for sure very very nice.

regards.

PS i like that room, models hanging around looks very good.

• Like 1

Great idea in opening up the side and detailing of the rarely seen backseat drivers cupboard space on the Vulcan. 

The 2 Nav's and and the AEO are often forgotten about, being locked away in this dark and dismal hole.

• Like 1

Im amazed at the final product. The attention to detail is incredible. Such an iconic aircraft and your model just adds to what a splendid piece of engineering it was. Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 1

Thats a great effort Sam.

I have a half built example that I was given and as you say given the amount of work to do on the thing to make it look the part, as your does, I'll make make a 'What If' out of the model and if its turns out only half as worthwhile as yours then I will be pleased.

Well done

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic work, and so true that these kits need LOTS of work. It's knowing when to call it a day and leave it alone. I'm on the undercoat, finding more stuff to fill and sand, undercoat merry-go-round at the moment. It WILL be finished by the end of the month though. 

Love yours, giving me something to aim for :goodjob:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AlexN said:

Truly excellent work there, Sam! You must be very proud of it :D. I'm sorry that I missed the build when it was running (have read the WiP now, though.

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks for your kind comments- I sooooo want to do another Vulcan as XH558 with the bomb bay open but I guess I should probably leave such a big project until after one's A levels.......

Have a good evening!

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 1

Great work Sam and the resulting model will be a great talking point - well done that man! I'll certainly be using your WiP as a reference when I (eventually) get around to mine.

• Like 1