1/144 zvezda 767-300 to 767-200 conversion

phil1

IMG_20161216_122008_zpsckkigsgv.jpgIMG_20161216_121944_zpsg9aw6cnc.jpg

beautiful decals from PAS (the 3-d windows and doors), the less said about the 757 britannia decals the better, and decal fix IS crap..... it yellows and leaves unwanted residue all over your model. It leaves yellow patches on any white surface such as the fuselage and little whitish patches appear on the decals in places that disappear when you wet them but then appear again when dry. not happy!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

i've had a disaster with this project so I decided to start again for the following reasons

1. The tail was painted blue when the logo is transparent (needed to be white underneath)

2. The paintjob was poor, i didn't use a primer which didn't benefit the gloss white finish (and the blue was patchy)

3. The application of the decals was a disaster...... it became impossible to apply them on curves as they broke into pieces (they are meant for the 757)

4. The decal fix left a horrible residue allover the model and basically ruined it

So, i proceeded to strip the paint from the model including the wings as i wasn't happy with them either.

if i fast forward to the stage when primer has went down and several coats of quality gloss I proceeded to think about how the decals will fit the fuselage. I used a template (like my current a330 project) so i could be precise

the green tape marks where the first blue line should be

IMG_20170601_212043_zpscwux4mlj.jpg

the white fuselage MUST continue down to the edge of the bottom of the template (just above) as on the decals the gaps between the blue lines are transparent - so when i am painting the blue belly of the plane it has to be exact otherwise blue will show where white should be and vice versa

you will note the wings have been repainted (did a much better job of them this time) - no slats or flaps have been added yet. fixing them to the fuselage also helps me shape the template for the decal to go down. there will be a slight gap missing near the wing root as its curved.... these transfers dont curve as theyll break apart

IMG_20170601_214104_zpskitkuns1.jpg

the template on top of the decal - the excess is to be trimmed away so it fits without overlapping (ignore the blue paint on the template)

IMG_20170613_214011_zpsriyczl94.jpg

blue paint is down. wing root, tail and exhaust have metallic touches

IMG_20170613_202015_zpsydrwxie9.jpg

decal down on the tail. although for the 757 its a good fit (although slightly trimmed). there is an area at the top above the transfer thats been painted to match

IMG_20170613_210152_zpsehnt7up7.jpg

the stripes were painstakingly applied in sections to reduce the chance of them crumpling or having air bubbles. you will notice the contrast in blue on the top of the tail. in hindsight i would have used a piece of excess transfer (i had plenty) instead of painting the top of the tail. but its too late now!! 

IMG_20170615_085944_zpsek2lsl4k.jpg

this model will have a white nose cone (thanks for the tip earlier in the thread!)

IMG_20170615_085956_zpscgfjxo98.jpg

i have a red outline for the britannia logo on the tail and the fuselage but im thinking it looks better without them as they were are not very visible in real life. this is my earlier attempt at the model to show the difference with red outline on

The above logo looks cleaner and stands out more than below

IMG_20161211_234321_zpskbtkewmm.jpg

just last few pieces to go on. im waiting for 3d windows to arrive

IMG_20170615_090006_zpsjeaqz57y.jpg

• Like 4

Very impressive work there mate.I am amazed how you manage to fit decals that are meant for other aircrafts so seamlessly on your models.

Top job all the way.Can't wait to see the 767 finished:clap2::worthy:

• Like 1

Good to see this going down the line again Phil, I can commiserate with you about all the decal problems, that is certainly not an easy scheme by any standards, but you are getting it done very well, good to see you cheat with the radome, sooo much easier.

I note you say that the touch up blue paint on the top of the fin doesn't quite match the decal, and that you have spare blue decal, surely you could trim some of the spare decal and just apply it over the painted bit without much trouble, or is it not that obvious to the casual viewer, just in the eye of the beholder?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 11:29 PM, Alex1978 said:

Very impressive work there mate.I am amazed how you manage to fit decals that are meant for other aircrafts so seamlessly on your models.

Top job all the way.Can't wait to see the 767 finished:clap2::worthy:

cheers alex! i've realized the only way to do it is to create templates of what decal is available making sure one side of the template is sticky , only then can i get a proper idea if they are too big or small - my attempts before that were disasters but suppose learning is everything!

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 1:57 AM, Graeme H said:

Good to see this going down the line again Phil, I can commiserate with you about all the decal problems, that is certainly not an easy scheme by any standards, but you are getting it done very well, good to see you cheat with the radome, sooo much easier.

I note you say that the touch up blue paint on the top of the fin doesn't quite match the decal, and that you have spare blue decal, surely you could trim some of the spare decal and just apply it over the painted bit without much trouble, or is it not that obvious to the casual viewer, just in the eye of the beholder?

thanks graeme - the radome was such an obvious solution in the end! 

the fin is a major problem if i wish to change it. the decal looks lighter as underneath is white, the blue painted area actually continues for half a centermetre underneath the logo decal. what i would have to do is remove the whole decal and strip away the blue paint (which is much thicker than i would have wanted). once the whole tail is white i would have to apply a replacement logo decal and then the excess decal to cover the top. I'll make a decision on this later if its driving me mad! -its the only thing I'm not fully satisfied with at the min - it is noticeable in daylight

• Like 1

IMG_20170618_173339_zpsvj6v51ja.jpg

IMG_20170618_174146_zpstlfrgphq.jpg

IMG_20170618_174215_zpsel9p7sy0.jpg

used some yellow doors originally (below) but the decal set they come from were a joke so i stuck to the grey doors supplied by ascensio which are always beautiful decals. This door will be replaced 

IMG_20170618_173354_zpsc1kzyevf.jpg

i need to find some emergency exit doors from somewhere, i have 2 but I need 4 in total. I've got a pair from a 737 kit very similar but that means I'll have odd doors 

anyway its about time i crack on with the wings.....

• Like 4

6 hours ago, phil1 said:

IMG_20170618_173339_zpsvj6v51ja.jpg

IMG_20170618_174146_zpstlfrgphq.jpg

IMG_20170618_174215_zpsel9p7sy0.jpg

used some yellow doors originally (below) but the decal set they come from were a joke so i stuck to the grey doors supplied by ascensio which are always beautiful decals. This door will be replaced 

IMG_20170618_173354_zpsc1kzyevf.jpg

i need to find some emergency exit doors from somewhere, i have 2 but I need 4 in total. I've got a pair from a 737 kit very similar but that means I'll have odd doors 

anyway its about time i crack on with the wings.....

Nice progress there.I  think I have some leftovers from my 767 detail set.

I will check my decal stash to be sure.I could mail them to you if you need them.

Never done this here before though.But you can contact me via email ?

• Like 1

Not sure how I managed to miss this until now. What a beautiful piece of modelling. Well done for not giving up after the finishing problems. I don't know if I would have been so tenacious but I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished result which I'm sure will justify all the hard work.

By coincidence I was intending to use these decals on a 757 but after reading your comments about them breaking up and the other problems I think I'll find another livery!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2017 at 0:20 AM, Alex1978 said:

Nice progress there.I  think I have some leftovers from my 767 detail set.

I will check my decal stash to be sure.I could mail them to you if you need them.

Never done this here before though.But you can contact me via email ?

nice one alex! if you can dig some out that would be great. I'll try and draw up a list of spares i've got for a trade!

On 6/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, Skodadriver said:

Not sure how I managed to miss this until now. What a beautiful piece of modelling. Well done for not giving up after the finishing problems. I don't know if I would have been so tenacious but I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished result which I'm sure will justify all the hard work.

By coincidence I was intending to use these decals on a 757 but after reading your comments about them breaking up and the other problems I think I'll find another livery!

thanks mate, very kind comments. if you want I can send you a sample of the decals as I've got some left over?

30 minutes ago, phil1 said:

thanks mate, very kind comments. if you want I can send you a sample of the decals as I've got some left over?

Thanks for the offer but I've had the decals in my stash for a few years.  I recently got round to buying an Authentic Airliners 757-200 and Britannia was one of my livery options, mainly because I already have the decals.  (The other main contenders are BA and Martinair). The model is in primer at the moment and I've still to take the final decision on which scheme. I'm not a huge fan of Flying Colors decals at the best of times and I think I'll take Britannia off the list. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the braz engines compared to the zvezda ones (braz ones look bigger due to the zvezda one missing the lip) 

IMG_20170620_183745.jpg

now i need to construct the leading edge flaps (or are they slats??) first i drew a rough outline

IMG_20170620_210952.jpg

an idea how they will look using sticky paper

IMG_20170620_211407.jpg

these are the inboard ones made by 2 layers of sheet plastic glued on top of each other, this was then sanded to form a slight curve and then finally a straight piece of plastic to form an edge

IMG_20170626_194732.jpg

IMG_20170626_194902.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Phil,

Here is a pic of the remaining decals from my 767 detail set with the doors.

If you have any use for it ,e-mail me your adress and I will send it to you.

20170709_201759.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Hi Phil,

Here is a pic of the remaining decals from my 767 detail set with the doors.

If you have any use for it ,e-mail me your adress and I will send it to you.

20170709_201759.jpg

cheers alex! should be in your inbox

• 5 months later...

this has been lying under my bed for probably over 6 months, i think its time i finally got stuck in again and got it finished. there's many parts about the fuselage i'm not happy about. the top of the tail is looks tacky and i'm not happy with the '3-d' windows. 

I know have all the parts for the slats and flaps but its going to be a nightmare carefully fixing them into place. here is where i am anyway

IMG_20171209_135526437_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_135607120_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_140223801_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_140208841_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_141319578_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_141338049_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

On 10.12.2017 at 01:45, phil1 said:

this has been lying under my bed for probably over 6 months, i think its time i finally got stuck in again and got it finished. there's many parts about the fuselage i'm not happy about. the top of the tail is looks tacky and i'm not happy with the '3-d' windows. 

I know have all the parts for the slats and flaps but its going to be a nightmare carefully fixing them into place. here is where i am anyway

IMG_20171209_135526437_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_135607120_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_140223801_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_140208841_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_141319578_HDR.jpgIMG_20171209_141338049_HDR.jpg

Looks very neat Phil.I am sure it will come out well.

The Britannia scheme is very difficult to apply but you did a great job.

Are these cockpit windows from Authentic Airliners ?

They should be very accurate i think.I noticed that you placed them a little too low,they should sit at the front right above the radome where the edge is.

Alex

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Looks very neat Phil.I am sure it will come out well.

The Britannia scheme is very difficult to apply but you did a great job.

Are these cockpit windows from Authentic Airliners ?

They should be very accurate i think.I noticed that you placed them a little too low,they should sit at the front right above the radome where the edge is.

Alex

cheers alex, the cockpit windows are ascensio i think if i remember rightly, and i see what you see with the cockpit windows sitting to low. I've actually ordered new cockpit, window and door decals from authentic airliners as i think that they are miles better than whats currently on the fuselage. 

at the moment i'm going to concentrate on getting the mid section with the wings finished then i am going to re-do the decals on the fuselage!

• 3 weeks later...

started adding the separate slats and flaps. if anybody is going to do anything like this again - don't! glue the slats and flaps in place before painting anything insuring that they are fixed in position so they can't be snapped off. 

IMG_20171225_114025189.jpgIMG_20171225_114042188.jpgIMG_20171225_120040879_HDR.jpgIMG_20171225_114152180.jpg

the inboard le flaps (or slats?!) will be glued in position after the engines are on as they could obstruct where the engines are meant to sit in place. i will also have to make sure there's enough clearance from the fuselage

other progress includes the tail being redone and a piece of excess blue decal being used above the 757 tail decal instead of blue paint. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Most decals now applied. need to do a patch job just underneath the cockpit window where a piece of decal has mysteriously vanished. was in 2 minds about applying the red outline to the 'britannia' lettering as it stands out quite a lot without. I've applied the wrong emergency exit decal on the wing as its a double exit not a single.

The inboard trailing edge flaps need to be added.

IMG_20180121_233741457.jpg

IMG_20180121_233901143.jpg

IMG_20180121_233938263.jpg

inboard flaps have now been glued in place. 

IMG_20180122_222330986.jpg

IMG_20180122_222341633.jpg

IMG_20180122_222403808.jpg

ready to be placed on display tomorrow

• Like 2