Blufixx resin bonder set with UV torch

bootneck

First off, please excuse my amateurish photography; I just wanted to show this new, to me, product and grabbed the first model I could find to display it.

I have just received this resin bonder set that I ordered a couple of days ago and was keen to test it and show the results here.  The 'pen' comes in two parts;  the bonder dispenser and the UV torch, and these can be clipped together or used separately.

I found a scrap resin casting I made a while ago and noticed a couple of air holes in the hull, plus a little gouge along the side.  These should be ideal areas for this repair test.

Air hole in the bow

collier_repair_bow1.jpg

small gouge in the side

collier_repair_side1.jpg

To get the bonder to work it is best to apply in very thin layers, up to approx. 2mm, and curing each layer with the UV torch before adding another layer if necessary.

Here is a view of the side having had the bonder applied and with the UV torch illuminating the bonded area.  The UV only needs about 8 - 10 seconds to completely cure and harden the bond

collier_repair_side2.jpg

The bond dried/hardened virtually instantly which means the area can be sanded almost straight away. I have applied a light primer here to help show the filled holes

collier_repair_side4.jpg

I gave the model a very light sanding and then brushed on more primer.  This shows that the holes have been filled and there is still a little bonder showing proud of the hole. 

I'll give this further sanding tomorrow when the primer has dried.

collier_repair_side6.jpg

the bonder has filled the air hole in the bow and is now ready to be filed to shape.

collier_repair_bow2.jpg

This test took about 15 minutes to undertake. I am impressed with this bonder set and am looking forward to seeing what else I can achieve with it.  The fact that you get virtually instant resin, without mixing 2 part solutions and no mess is ideal for me.

Be advised, this is not a glue, it is a bonder which will adhere items that the UV light can see, so it won't glue parts together where the glue is encased between two items or the UV light cannot penetrate.

Mike

• Like 2

I have just been having another play at experimenting with this UV resin. This time I tried making window glazing, for N-gauge vehicles that don't have any glass, and the results look quite good.

Unlike other glazing materials, this is resin and sets hard and virtually instantly with use of the UV torch

WIA3224_zpsqbfcjqtb.jpg

This looks very similar to a product called Bondic I have used.

Bondic was not too easy to get hold of at a reasonable price so I shall definitely give this a blast.

It is great for small glazing applications as it can be moulded to curved shapes if you use tape as a former, and it sands crystal clear if you take time to go through the usual paper grades and polishers.

I have used it almost exclusively on injection moulded kits.

cheers.

48 minutes ago, Kuro Nezumi said:

Looks like an amazing tool! Would this also work on injection-moulded plastic?

Yes, as Jinxman says, it is virtually Bondic under a different brand name and adheres/bonds almost any materials especially resin and plastics; the little truck in the image above is a white metal casting.

I'm still experimenting but I'm already impressed with what I see so far.

Mike

It (and several other manufacturer's versions of the same) is clever stuff.  I've used it for a while and the only problem appears to be limited shelf life.  After about 6 months, the time to cure increases and after 10 or 11 months no amount of uv exposure will cure it. This is based on 3 tubes of the stuff over the last 2 years.