Second Do335 found?

Pete in Lincs

According to the magazine article, "This second Do335, although incomplete, has enough original parts for it to be considered as a preserved, original airframe rather than a replica. The aircraft concerned is Do 335 A-0 Wk Nmr  240109, coded GV+PP, which was involved in an accident on 15 Jan 1945. The aircraft skidded on the frozen runway at Oberpfaffenhoffen, but the damage sustained was insufficient to justify scrapping it. This A-0 was therefore recovered and rebuilt, this time with a number of features of the B-2. The aircraft was never completed and never flew. It is this machine that is preserved today."

• Like 1

It strikes me that this is just another one of those "a mate told me that a mate of his grandfather saw ..."  type tales. This supposed newly discovered Do 335 is just something that has been known about for years and is simply a story of someone working on a replica using some original parts while it escaped much notice because the sensationalists hadn't heard of it. While on the other hand we have the purely imaginary yarn about the Turkish Fw !90s and of course our old favourite line shoot the Burmese Spitfires. My advise is to all believers in these tales is that if it sounds too fantastic to be true it generally is.   

Edited by MilneBay
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Denford said:

Why does the French article use the word 'second' instead of usual French word 'deuxième'?

I was taught to use 'second' when describing the second of only two, and 'deuxieme' when describing the second of several or many. Not being a native French speaker I have no idea if my teacher, Mr Gilpin, was correct. I have applied this rule of thumb when working in France, speaking the language, and nobody has corrected me, something I ask native speakers to do. The French are otherwise far too polite to pull you up on such errors :)

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

On 15/10/2016 at 11:56 AM, Denford said:

Why does the French article use the word 'second' instead of usual French word 'deuxième'?

"Second" is the proper use in french."Second" is not the numeral expression : "deuxieme" is meaning "2" without the time connection...

Olivier 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I wonder if building a 1:1 scale replica Do335 using spare parts is easier than building the Dragon 1:72 scale using the kit parts?

Duncan B

Haha, savage.

• Like 1

That's how I read it.

Sounds like there are a lot

of parts missing though.

It says the engines and lower fuselage

are there plus bulkheads. Does this mean

the upper fuselage is missing or just cowlings?

Wings are elsewhere but no mention of the tail

or the propellers.