Afv club tiger I 1/35

Jusjay

So its time for another wip this time I picked up an AFV Club Tiger I today. Looking forward to building this but I hope to do the kit justice. 

Does anyone know of tiger I sometimes didnt have any zimmerit on btw

IMG_20161014_134920_zpslyeejgcg.jpg

Box of sprues!! 

IMG_20161014_135207_zps7cxvkjnn.jpg

And a start on the torsion bars

IMG_20161014_135215_zpsmwhdewym.jpg

• Like 1

This should be a fun one!

As far as I know, Tiger production ceased during the period when zimmerit was being applied to AFV's. So in essence, all Tigers from mid 1943 on had zimm.  Someone with a better grasp of history should chime in here.

The only option would be the "Gruppe Fehrmann" vehicles from late spring 1945. These were cobbled together from various hulls and turrets. Zimmerit was hit and miss on these based on the age of the major components.

Hope that helps.

G

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply AgentG that's helpful. I'm just thinking on how and more importantly when to add putty zimmerit to the build. It's obviously still early days in the build so I think nearer the painting stage would be better

I personally would add the zimm in the earlier stages of construction. To me it's easier to partially assemble the turret, add the zimm, then complete the build. Same with the hull. If you plan carefully, once joined, using the lower hull is a convenient way to handle the assembly while adding putty. 

Just my thoughts!

G

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AgentG said:

I personally would add the zimm in the earlier stages of construction. To me it's easier to partially assemble the turret, add the zimm, then complete the build. Same with the hull. If you plan carefully, once joined, using the lower hull is a convenient way to handle the assembly while adding putty. 

Just my thoughts!

G

Good idea thanks mate. I'll have a think about the process and how to go about it. I've got a strip of brass which I'll use to indent the texture and I'll probably use a thin layer of filler or putty depending on what I have

Side skirts attached. I'm struggling to work out how to proceed next. Do I paint the lower hull and wheels then attach them? Or wait till the upper hull is on?

IMG_20161018_175152_zpscyxduoum.jpg

Edited by Jusjay
  • Like 2

So after my compressor was pretty much dead, I decided to go get another and finish up the camo on the tiger. I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far especially considering I freehanded it. 

IMG_20161025_142327_zpsud420zxr.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good!

For those interested, Salisbury Model Centre has a great video on how to do apply zim'.  Check it out on YouTube.

They use 'No More Nails' acrylic adhesive.  I have used it a few times - works great and easy to do (no, I have no affiliation with the club :P).  Goes on like the real thing and looks very realistic.  This product is easy to find in North America and, I believe,  in Europe as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Arachnid said:

Very impressive,makes zimmert look easy to apply,excellent build,well done 

Thank you. it wasn't as difficult as I first thought. I used a trimmed down hacksaw blade to apply it.Thanks to another member for that tip :)

4 hours ago, Jusjay said:

Very nearly finished now. the matt coat is on and the tools added  a bit of dust to add them she's finished  

So you're keeping the weathering pretty subtle?