Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Sarcococca

Follant Gnat T.1, Airfix 1/48, Britains old school

46 posts in this topic

What a lovely job, so much so, I'm tempted to change my next project....

Ive just changed to Klickr, although I've not had problems with PB.

Si

1 person likes this

Awe inspiring work. The detail in the cockpit is amazing. 

1 person likes this

Beautiful work, I have 2 Gnats to make and I've ordered the SBS resin wheel set for them, I had no idea these existed!

1 person likes this

On 10.1.2017 at 3:43 PM, Biggles87 said:

Those tanks look great, along with the rest of it. The trainer colour schemes went through several changes during the Gnat's service life, not to mention the Yellowjacks and Red Arrows. I think I may need more than one.

John

I think I will also change to Flickr. I haven't posted anything for a while, mostly due to problems with PB.

I can Flickr absolutely recommend. It works fast and overall it`s easy.

1 hour ago, Rui Silva said:

Beautiful work, I have 2 Gnats to make and I've ordered the SBS resin wheel set for them, I had no idea these existed!

The SBS resin wheels are all the money worth. Really nice and crisp details. You never will regret. :)

1 person likes this

On 10.1.2017 at 8:33 PM, Martian Hale said:

I looks extremely smart in that finish!

Martian

Yes I like that finish since my childhood.

I remember, as a little boy I held a kit of a S.A. Bulldog from Airfix in my hands. It had the same colours. At that time I was very fascinated.

180095-12155-27-pristine

Edited by Sarcococca
1 person likes this

Excellent work all round - I really like the work you've done on the seats, and nice paint job.

Great tip about the liquid gravity - Thanks

Rob

Meanwhile are the Decals on the model. As I have described already before, the Decals own a matt carrier film. However, they are printed for it very thinly.

Before the Application of the Decals I have polished the layer with the brilliant varnish with Micromesh 12000 grit.

DSCN6856

One can recognise by the large Decals "XP&500" it has no Silvering effect, provided the varnish surface is clean and smooth

DSCN6858

Finally the Decals were protected once again with a brilliant varnish. After approx. 12 hours I have begun with the wash of  panellines.

For the white spraying I`ve used Ammo MIG Panel Line Wash Medium Gray.

The rivets were engraved with the Rosie the riveter tool and the screws with the Rivet Master. I found the additional rivets and screws give a little bit more deep ones to the model.

DSCN6863

Screws and Panellines were painted on the black surface with Ammo MIG Panel Line Wash Light grey.

DSCN6864

Edited by Sarcococca
7 people like this

The extra surface detailing and weathering are superb.

John

That is beautiful :)

Fantastic detailing and finish to the surfaces and cockpit... :)

And yes, I too remember those old early 1970's Airfix kits on those 'blister' packs, and then before them, the plastic bags with all the parts, and the thin paper top pieces...that would be the late 60's for me there! ;)

That 1/48 Gnat looks a gorgeous kit....must keep an eye out for one :)

Look forward to seeing your's finished :)

With the pictures from today, I want to finish this thread. Here a few pictures with details I have added to improve the Airfix model.

Instead of the Decals I`ve used Evergreen plastic for two black strips and the oval hatch.

DSCN6877

DSCN6885

At the right underside of the fuselage are several drain pipes made out of brass tubes.

DSCN6878

On the right and left side of the upper  fuselage are two small air vents

DSCN6899

DSCN6902

On the left side of the fuselage I`ve added two small instruments.

DSCN6895

The left and right  bulge on top of the wing root are too prominent. I`ve sanded down both as seen on original aircraft pictures.

DSCN6918

On the parachute box at the rear we will find a thin rubber sealing and an oblong plate made out of Evergreen plastic and stretched sprue.

DSCN6909

DSCN6912

Next pictures shows some surface details achieved with scribing tools as described before.

DSCN6938

DSCN6935

The pitot tube from Master is a real improvement and every cent worth.

DSCN6944

And last but not least some pics of the finished model "on the box".  I hope the weather conditions will be better next weeks, so I`ll try to shoot some exposures of my model in front of the hangar on a sunny day.

DSCN6960

DSCN6964

DSCN6972

DSCN6977

DSCN6981

DSCN6968

Edited by Sarcococca
10 people like this

Fantastic, super modelling and painting,

Glynn

That's one very nice gnat.  One to be proud of.

7 hours ago, bar side said:

That's one very nice gnat.  One to be proud of.

I started mine a few days ago and will be pleased if I can achieve anything half as good as yours.

John

The best Gnat I have seen to date!

Martian

That is THE best example of this kit I have ever seen!

Top notch build. Bookmarked. Thanks for shareing.

René

That looks really good in that scheme. I love what you've done to the IP and seats!