Sdkfz 223 Afrika Korp

Hello all

After spending the last few years making aircraft I dug an old Tamiya 223 out of the stash, I just did an out of the box build (apart from a white metal machine gun).

I tried out the hairspray technique for the first time on this as I intend to use this on a B26 in the future, it went a bit wrong in places though! I enjoyed doing this one so much though that I've put the B26 on ice and bought a Sherman Firefly (Tamiya/Tasca), which I'm halfway through building.

I've seen quite a few mistakes on this looking at the photo's so don't worry about criticising it! :-)

30163661102_6ebb5e9b65_c.jpg

29649077683_e8e8dbc2a9_c.jpg

30244329666_80dc59ca91_c.jpg

Edited by spursn17
Displaying unwanted info about pic
  • Like 14

You've done a grand job there, the hairspray method working well. Tamiya's SdKfz 223 is one of my all-time favourite kits of one of my all-time favourite armoured cars and seeing this has made me want to build another. (I still have the one I made 35yrs ago).

Being the size that they are, they make ideal additional vehicles for any German themed diorama...Are you likely to put yours in a dio ?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

Lovely build!

Great recon vehicle, would like to build one, very successful and useful in Panzer Corp campaign.

Desert theme will be next builds with a LDRG truck and SAS jeep at the same time.

Will be my first time with hairspray too. Any pointers while fresh in your mind?

R.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments people.

Badder; I might put it in a diorama in the future, it might look good next to a burnt out LRDG truck.

Ceithearn; I was reasonably happy with the hairspray thing but I made a few mistakes...

I think that I put the top coat of paint (the desert yellow) on too thickly, it started to look like it was part of a landslide on the panel above the R/H front mudguard (where the vision block is). This is the reason why I had to weather it so much as it had to match that panel.

I think that light coats are the way to go.

I wish I'd painted the markings as well instead of using decals. If you look closely you can see the crosses over the grey undercoat, if they were painted they would've looked more worn. I should've 'chipped' them with the base colour but didn't realise until I enlarged the pics.

Hope that helps?

Straight out of 'The World at War.' Nice battered finish.

12 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

Lovely build!

Great recon vehicle, would like to build one, very successful and useful in Panzer Corp campaign.

Desert theme will be next builds with a LDRG truck and SAS jeep at the same time.

Will be my first time with hairspray too. Any pointers while fresh in your mind?

R.

Have you got a covert spycam in my house?

Thanks Spurs, appreciate the tips. When bf109 is done will be on the build. Ambitious project but thinking the two vehicles and small desert dia.

The Sdk looks really good; if my coming builds turn out half as well will be pleased. Your chipping, weathering with dust/sand and the accessories is convincing for a long term desert vehicle.

What's next?.

Robert

Darby, have you noticed the drone with zoom lens patrolling your windows?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:03 AM, Darby said:

Have you got a covert spycam in my house?

Thinking you have some similar plans in the works?

Robert