Avro Manchester question

AndrewCJ50

Dear Colleagues

I am at my wits end with this one.  Does anyone know what the fuel capacity of the Avro Manchester was?  There is no end of information on the Lancaster, but the Manchester?  I am trying to do a comparison of performance with other contemporary mediums.

Thanks for any help

Andrew

Robert Kirby who written the book Avro Manchester - the legend behind the Lancaster pops in to Britmodeller now and again, his username is robkirby, may be worth dropping him a pm if no one else can help.

cheers

neil

I haven't read the Manchester pilot's notes (the A.P.) but that 1,190 gallon system diagram would tie in as I would expect with a usable fuel figure - the one of most concern to the pilot - being 1,160 gallons. 30 gallons of unusable fuel is about right for a system of that size.

Thank you all for your wonderful information.  Particularly thanks to Jun for the fuel system diagram, that would seem to clinch it.

Most other RAF mediums of the period carried a little over 700 gallons

Of the Hampden, Whitley and Wellington (any mark) the Manchester has the worst power to weight ratio (full or unladen) and the Hampden the best

Andrew