Riddle me this, riddle me that. SH Tempest

Graham T

I've looked into this before and not come up with any answers. Photos in service use are not too helpful, showing very dark streaks along the top and bottom of the fairings. I could not tell whether this was a deposit of some kind (probably internal) or a dark overpaint which had worn off, typically at the front of the fairing and full length down the middle. Some late war examples  seem to have been overpainted in msg.

CT

35 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I've looked into this before and not come up with any answers. Photos in service use are not too helpful

These clear fairings have also intrigued me during my 1/72nd Tempest build.

My purely logical assumption would be that they provided view for inspection of those pipes (between drop-tank and the wing)...

Just taking a peek and seeing that there are no leaks, instead of removing it and putting it back every time, saves time immensely.

Maybe given the Shape of the fairing is relatively complex and given the disposeable  nature of drop tanks and that the plastics industry was in its infancy in the late 1940's these factors combine to produce a moulded fairing which is an easy way of replicating a complex shape cheaply and repeatably. Using plexiglass which was a known technology of the time. 

Just a theory...

Plasto

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plasto said:

Maybe given the Shape of the fairing is relatively complex and given the disposeable  nature of drop tanks and that the plastics industry was in its infancy in the late 1940's these factors combine to produce a moulded fairing which is an easy way of replicating a complex shape cheaply and repeatably. Using plexiglass which was a known technology of the time. 

Just a theory...

Plasto

That is what I thought too!

Perspex and thick celluloid (Rhodoid I think) were about the the only blow or vacuum able light plastics available,  Perspex was used for Lanc H.2.S radomes, DF loop fairings and Mosquito NF.30 radomes. The plastic on the tanks I think is Rhodoid.

John

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, Ossington said:

img778_zpsasatts2s.jpg

Arthur Reed & Roland Beamont: Typhoon and Tempest at War, Ian Allen, 1974, p.152. Best shot that I could find in a hurry.

glad to see Lofty got a job after Eastenders  :)

• Like 1