Meng Leopard 2 A4

simmerit

As I'm sick to death of the Wokka, I've decided to take Dan's advice and bang something out 'out of the box', and what better place to start than with a Meng Leopard + some bits

IMG_3509_zps9u2rkw6a.jpg

Its sat there for a year on the shelf.  The mrs got me these for my last birthday

IMG_3510_zpsf12kl0aj.jpg

so what the hell.  I've not had a proper go at a tank for a long long time, so here goes..

• Like 4

I've got three Meng kits on the shelf and this is my first. Everything they say about them is correct.  The quality is stunning.  I was waiting for the Chiefy, but I've finally succumbed and bitten the bullet with this one

IMG_3516_zpsrjdtecpg.jpg

IMG_3517_zpsfmixct1p.jpg

IMG_3515_zpscck6xxhe.jpg

Everything about this kit is quality

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 3

I managed to get half an hour in last night and an hour today.  This thing is flying together.  Dare I say it goes together too easy for my liking.  I'm used to having to put shed loads of efftort in

IMG_3535_zpsnftkrxe7.jpg

IMG_3536_zpshwtkhz3a.jpg

Things about to go downhill fast.............................

IMG_3538_zpsjihuuhhj.jpg

Champagne and Voda coctails.  Two of these is enough.  The last time the mrs had 4, we ended up in A&E all night aftre she walked into a 6 foot high mirror in the bedroom.  Five minutes later she shouts 'Siiiiiiiiii'.  I says 'your bleeding'.  1 paramedic later................. Watford A&E.

Shes class

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

A short build for you then Si ? Looking forward to seeing it take shape buddy.

The kit is so good, its flying together.  I'm enjoying it - its a breeze, but it doesnt task the old modelling skills in any shape or form.  I cant decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing

Well that's me officially minging.  proper jaded this morning..

Ordered one of these to go with it.  50% off @ wonderland models on them

IMG_3544_zps8k1htfma.jpg

Still hugely impressed with everything about this kit.  Even the etch packagign is OTT

IMG_3542_zpszrhfrqfh.jpg

IMG_3543_zpstzbxjibt.jpg

Pressing on sticking stuff at the minute, so little to report progress wise that's of any intertest

Made a bit more progress, but have put off the tracks, but need to make a start now I suppose

IMG_3548_zpst7dw2q5y.jpg

Upper and lower hull have mostly gone together OK.  

IMG_3549_zpsa0mpb3cf.jpg

IMG_3550_zpsnzbubh83.jpg

This join is the only major issue.  Upper half of was slightly warped also, which was disappointing given the quality of it overall

IMG_3551_zpsfdohdebk.jpg

Edited by simmerit
  • Like 3

I was doing a bit more sticking

IMG_3586_zps8nk4dst5.jpg

yes I know I need to fill that.  Anyway.  I thoughts I'd have a crack at these

IMG_3584_zpsaspuhggc.jpg

Bronco tracks without glue.  I have to say I dont like them one little bit.  Well tacky.  

Its Fruil tracks for me I think.

• Like 1

having looked at the price of the Friuls for the Leopard 2, I'm cracking on for now.....

IMG_3648_zpsiky0nchi.jpg

one down.................................

IMG_3649_zpsu0clwpqj.jpg

One to go................. track bash.  I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.  Still, its got to be done..

• Like 1

It seems you do not like much the Bronco tracks, I try to make some for Sherman, and apart from not bring pieces to fit in and make it easier, were very brittle, when I was one, also had to add the teeth end one one .... :banghead:for spares, never more buy a Bronco track,,,,

Cheers mate :popcorn:

7 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

It seems you do not like much the Bronco tracks, I try to make some for Sherman, and apart from not bring pieces to fit in and make it easier, were very brittle, when I was one, also had to add the teeth end one one .... :banghead:for spares, never more buy a Bronco track,,,,

Cheers mate :popcorn:

Yep.  I'm not a massive fan of Bronco or Meng, now that I've assembled a set.  I think Bronco are a better track than Meng as at least they are glued.  I dont like Meng tracks at all.  Just a personal opinion, and I'm hugely disappointed as people seemed to be raving on forums about how wonderful the Meng tracks are.  Either I'm massively negative, or they are building different Meng tracks to me!!

I'm plugging away at the build at the minute, which is pretty uninspiring stuff as its basically sticking bits - very nice bits, but its sticking bits.

This is the first Meng kit I've built and my expectations were really high as all the reviews rave about them and they look top banana when you open the box.

Some slight warping in the turret which is irritating but sortable.  This is strange one

IMG_3655_zpsoki00vt1.jpg

This is the optional turret rear - the molding is slightly different to the one I fitted

IMG_3657_zpsfghfvxqs.jpg

To bit that bin, you have to cut off part of the molded plastic or the bin doesnt fit flush

IMG_3658_zpsbojkj7wz.jpg

IMG_3659_zpsxtbvgntk.jpg

I'd been waiting for the Meng Chiefy, but I may go for a Takom Mk 11 one now as I'm not convined the Meng one will be worth the wait.  

Just a gentle moan/whinge.....