1/72 Hasegawa T-37 cessna Asas de portugal decals

TOPGUN88

Hi guys. I have just finished making the above hasegawa kit. I have tried applying the decals to the nose first BUT i have a bit of a problem. The decals come in three stages and they have to match up. Tried sticking them on but they are as fiddly as hell and dont stick well. Are there any tips, solvents, house hold products i can use to help wrap these round? 

Edited by TOPGUN88

Hi, Topgun88

You have probably already tried it, still ... Old Hasegawa decals (of really old, thick variety) usually responded well to various softening solutions like Micro-Sol. Among the household items acrylic floor polishes usually do the trick, even in cases when film roll up immediately upon separation. It may look quite messy while applying it and on several occasions (for me particularly unpleasant experience with a short-run Spitfire F.21 in 1/72 decals comes to mind) I literally drowned decals in floor polish, still there was no trace of such brute force treatment once everything dried up. Cheers

Jure

Hi jure. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes they are quite thick :(  i tried a bit of mirco set but hasnt helped. Would clear nail varnish do or would that be too strong? 

Unfortunately, I only know it is one of Johnson's products. For reasons beyond my comprehension, my acting mother-in-law bought several gallons of that stuff some time ago. I borrowed some half a pint of it and still have not exhausted it all. With troublesome decals, I usually apply a thick layer with a brush, immediately immerse decal into it and than splash more floor wax on a top of it. Not very sophisticated, but it works for me. Cheers

Jure

I have found that micro scale products will not make a dent in Hasegawa decals. I have had great success with Polly S decal solution. This doesn't solve your problem directly since the product is no longer made. I can tell you it is very strong. It will literally dissolve microscale decals and "Future" or it's successor. I have been told the it is alcohol based. I would suggest some thing very strong such as Daco Strong, Walters straight up, Testors strong, or a strong solution of alcohol . I would start with Daco Strong. Let me know how you make out. My supply of Polly S is dwindling.

• 5 years later...

Hasegawa decals respond very well to very strong setting solution. I have the final remnants of a very old bottle of PollyS setting solution and it works a treat. The stuff literally dissolves Microscale decals so it is really strong. Solvaset or DACO strong might be a current equivalent. ( I haven’t actually tried them since I still have some of the long gone PollyS product).