A few from Gatow

camper1

Hi Folks

Spent five days in Berlin last week and was allowed by SWMBO to visit the Technical Museum and Gatow 

Very easy to find despite being right on the outskirts of the city,public transport is brilliant and got me there in around 45 minutes from Charlottenburg

Hope you enjoy

Ian

IMG_9243_zpshnzfnnso.jpgIMG_9251_zpscyjyamm9.jpgIMG_0394_zps3vllmy65.jpgIMG_0403_zpsmfpgeqnz.jpgIMG_0426_zps5mx6kyvm.jpgIMG_0412_zpsybujnifn.jpgIMG_0454_zps3jagzsy6.jpgIMG_0458_zpsbh7o5vjo.jpgIMG_0477_zpsnoiszgjf.jpgIMG_0462_zpsfthtvnrv.jpg

• Like 14

looks like a interesting place to visit would like to visit Berlin sometime thanks for sharing.

Guy

Great pics mate, thanks for sharing,.....looks like a grotto to the East German AF!! Are the Dakota and Hasting`s still there,....and an RAF Chippie?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

The Dakota is still there,no Hastings or Chipmunk seen.

Some of the hangers are used for storage of airframes but are not open for viewing which is a shame.

Just for you Tony I will post some more when I get time.

Ian

Of the 2 Chipmunks that were based at Gatow, WG486 is now serving with the BBMF, while WG466 is on display in the Alliiertenmuseum (Allied Museum) on the Clayallee in Dahlem, Steglitz-Zehlendorf, in what was the American Sector of the city. I understand that there are plans to move the museum to the former Templehof airfield.

The Hastings (a Berlin Airlift veteran) originally stood on a plinth in front (west) of Station Headquarters and is now also on display in the Alliiertenmuseum.

Just for interest, I was the copilot on the last ever RAF C-130 movement through RAF Gatow.

• Like 1

When I went to Gatow in a Hercules the Co pilot was Rick Husband who was latter killed on the Space Shuttle Columbia. It was a strange weekend as the wall had come down only the week before yet the UK (and US) military  still had to wear their best uniforms whilst we did the official guided tour of the Soviet side. Rick and I also had fun trying to get back into the camp trying to convince the gate guard that a drunk US serviceman and a very drunk British civvie were crew members of an RAF Hercules. If I remember, we convinced the guard by waving the Officers Mess room keys at him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ascoteer said:

Of the 2 Chipmunks that were based at Gatow, WG486 is now serving with the BBMF, while WG466 is on display in the Alliiertenmuseum (Allied Museum) on the Clayallee in Dahlem, Steglitz-Zehlendorf, in what was the American Sector of the city. I understand that there are plans to move the museum to the former Templehof airfield.

That's interesting. I was at the museum in May of 2016 and Chipmunk WG466 was on display in the hangar with the First and Second World War stuff.

Going by the pictures camper1 is showing us, quite a bit changed between May and now. That Sabre, BB-150, certainly wasn't on view back in May; given the condition of the outdoor Sabres, I very much wish it had been.

Hanger 3 is closed at present for remodelling [no pun intended] all the older exhibits were relocated to the restoration/storage hangers.

I was told by the people on the gate that hanger 3 was closed until May next year,eventually all the hangers will be used and all exhibits are to be brought inside.

The Sabre BB+150 is an old acquaintance I first saw this aircraft as a 10 year old aircraft spotter at Prestwick in 1956 one of over 500 Canadair Sabres that were seen, previously it was 23102 with the RCAF

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, upnorth said:

That's interesting. I was at the museum in May of 2016 and Chipmunk WG466 was on display in the hangar with the First and Second World War stuff.

I was there on 25 September (after a visit to E-day in Prague the day before :-) ) and found the Chipmunk in Hangar 3 which was still open on that date.

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:01 AM, tonyot said:

Are the Dakota and Hasting`s still there,....and an RAF Chippie?

Good to see these; it's been a long time since I was in Berlin. The Hastings is at the Allierten (Allied) Museum, not far up the Clay Allee from Gatow; it's been there for a good fifteen years or so now. The Chipmunk was suspended from the ceiling of that museum for awhile. Not far from Gatow is Spandau, where the prison of the same name was, although its now a shopping area.

• Like 1