1/72 VC10 Aftermarket

Madhatter

hi everyone

Does anyone know of any aftermarket parts for a 1/72 VC-10?  I'm curious to know if there is anything out there as my Google searches aren't yielding anything which is surprising given how popular a subject the VC-10 is. Was anything ever made for 72nd? More importantly, is it still available?

Thanks

MH

As far as I am aware, there are no aftermarket parts for the VC-10 in 1/72 scale, though there might be some decals. There is either the Magna resin kit or the old Airways vac-form which is due to be reissued shortly with new decals.

To see what can be done with the Airways vac-form, look at this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980017-172-vc10-airways-vacform-bua/#comment-1954674

I have seen this model progress as Kevin has been bringing it to our model club and as with so many of his builds, it shows what can be done with a basic vac-form kit and a lot of work.

There must be "market" it order "aftermarket" to exist, and, as it was mentioned, there are only two 1/72 kits of VC-10 available, and both kits are targeted to people with modelling skills sufficient to produce a model without any aftermarket at all.

BUT

you may take a look at

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980017-172-vc10-airways-vacform-bua/

Kev has produced some wonderful stuff that you may try to persuade him to share

PS. OOps, this build has already been mentioned :)

Thanks guys

I have the Anigrand one but the cockpit looks a little.....bare, so I'm planning on jazzing it up a little, so I have been looking for some kind of PE set. I found absolutely nothing, hence the question. 

I have seen that thread about the vac-formed build - very inspiring I must say. I am just a little surprised that no PE set has been made for such a popular subject matter. Maybe it's because of the scale there isn't anything? Although I find that hard to swallow when there is AM stuff for a 1/72 Victor or Vulcan

If I had some talent, I would create my own PE detail set, but alas - I lack said abilities 

It's not because of the scale that there's no PE set for the VC-10, the reason is that there aren't kits around, apart from a those 3. And those 3, as Pin said, are small production kits aimed at modellers who generally can scratchbuild their details. The Victor and Vulcan are available as mainstream injected plastic kits that have sold and still sell in numbers much larger than the 3 VC-10 kit all together, it makes sense that manufacturers of PE details may see an opportunity there. But doing the work for a subject for which there are only a few kits around ? The reality is that the VC-10 is not popular enough

If you want to creat your PE set there's today no need for special abilities, as some companies offer the production of custom PE parts as a service. All they need is a CAD drawing of the parts following certain directions (to take into account the process). It's not a cheap job and you still need to draw the parts yourself but allows the creation of something unique. May be worth enquiring locally if there's any company offering such service.