KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

Max Headroom - nice spit of 312 squadron... Congrats.

We have decided the first two box of Mk. Vc until now - we have to please Ed Russell and his band, so the first box will contain Australian spits, I am collecting references now. The second one will contain something not so much common - Spitfire Vc with four cannons.

Later will come box of Czechoslovak pilots in RAF, UK Aces, MTO, US spitfires.....

Beard - naval spits is a problem - this variant need new parts, big ones as fuselage and if we will go into Navy, it will take some time for sure. Ask me in Telford for more info.

TELFORD 2018 - we are at the point to choose one of our projects for this year show. We want to present something for collectors of bigger scale and do 1/48 scale kit. There are two candidates in the same stage of preparation - FD-2 and SR-53. Both very interesting planes. Which one do you prefer? I will count votes very carefully.

Next week we will release our list of the new items for March, so stay tuned please.

Have a nice evening.

Jan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jan Polc said:

Beard - naval spits is a problem - this variant need new parts, big ones as fuselage and if we will go into Navy, it will take some time for sure. Ask me in Telford for more info.

Thanks Jan. I suspected it'd take a while because of the need for a different fuselage and, in the case of a Seafire III, different wings.

Mind you, the VC boxing will keep me going for a while.

14 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Spit Vc - we are very very close gents, we want it as summer sunshine surprise for you. And Spit XII is more and more discussed here.... (I am not promising, just informing you about the talks)

Aha, a winter surprise for us 'dununda' then. Excellent, thank you Jan!

(And thanks also for the talks/consideration of the other thing too!)

As an addition, I must say the Spitfire Vc lineup you have planned looks awesome. Four cannons... :Tasty: 

I suspect my bank account is going to take a hit and the stash will get rather bigger mid-year!

Edited by Gazontipede
enthused gibbering too hard to contain

Hi Jan,

how about considering the SR 177 instead of the SR 53. The SR 177 was was a design with more chance of becoming an operational aircraft than the SR 53 which was only really a proof of concept/development/research  aircraft. As I suspect most people will be making this kit as a wif the SR 177 will offer a much greater potential for operational/export colour schemes. Also I believe a more up to date kit of the SR 53 than the Airfix issue has been released in the relatively recent past which has probably satisfied the market quite well with regard to those modellers who want to have a copy of the "real aircraft", lets face it outside the UK how many modellers are going to want to build a vannilla kit of a British prototype. Notwithstanding the above my vote would go to the SR 53, prototypes leave me cold & there's no real potential to model anything other than the actual aircraft with the FD.2, plus you'd probably only sell ten, maybe twelve, tops, of the FD2. 

20 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

upnorth - do you live in Brno? I am travelling there often, what about some beers in Air Café?

Send me a pm whenever you might be coming to Brno and we'll try to arrange a meeting.

12 hours ago, spaddad said:

Also I believe a more up to date kit of the SR 53 than the Airfix issue has been released in the relatively recent past which has probably satisfied the market quite well with regard to those modellers who want to have a copy of the "real aircraft"...

If you mean in 1/72 then yes, it was done by Jan the man and AZ last year. ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spaddad said:

...you'd probably only sell ten, maybe twelve, tops, of the FD2.

That might be a bit pessimistic (I'd buy two unless Amerang were setting the price, in which case doing a deal with Cosford for the 1:1 scale version would be cheaper) , although not sure that 48th would be the right scale with which to test the market.

The FD2 deserves a modern kit because of its significance, even though only two were built. The Novo kits go for fairly steep prices on occasion - there are two on ebay at the moment, both buy it now and neither under £30 (plus p&p), and the last one I watched ended up going for the sort of price one pays for a new Hasegawa kit in 72nd these days.  I think it'd sell reasonably well in 72nd, but 48th? Not so sure (even though, as I say, I'd buy a couple, how many others would?). I imagine that the market would be expanded if the option of doing a what if and sticking a couple of Firestreaks on the wings were provided; I have seen, somewhere, a fairly plausible looking FD2 in that sort of get up (plausible looking vice plausible capability), but can't find the photos at the moment.

The SR53 - this year marks the 60th anniversary of John Booth's death in the crash of XD151, of course - is slightly less significant as an aircraft, so of the two, my vote would go for the FD2. I'd still buy a couple of those in 48th as well, though.

Even if it goes the other way, I'd strongly advocate that consideration be given to kitting it in some form, though, given its history.

• Like 1

Gentlemen, work is in progress also on our "Gustav Trainer" - Bf 109G-12...

Selected camo schemes are in the link. Text in Czech, but pictures in English. :-)

http://www.modelarovo.cz/messerschmitt-bf-109g-12-az-model-vybrane-kamuflaze/

• Like 2

Hi gentlemen,

here is the last Comet boxing. I would like to ask you for a little help - the RAF example - can you check it as I do not have references big enough. Thank you.

DH-88-camo-box-3.jpg

On 14-3-2018 at 09:05, Jan Polc said:

Gentlemen, work is in progress also on our "Gustav Trainer" - Bf 109G-12...

Selected camo schemes are in the link. Text in Czech, but pictures in English. :-)

http://www.modelarovo.cz/messerschmitt-bf-109g-12-az-model-vybrane-kamuflaze/

Great choice!

On 08/03/2018 at 18:06, Jan Polc said:

(...)

TELFORD 2018 - we are at the point to choose one of our projects for this year show. We want to present something for collectors of bigger scale and do 1/48 scale kit. There are two candidates in the same stage of preparation - FD-2 and SR-53. Both very interesting planes. Which one do you prefer? I will count votes very carefully.

(...)

My preference is definitely for a 1/48th FD-2 kit.

As there's already a 1/48th SR-53 resin kit by Simian Stuff https://www.kitsforcash.com/1-48th-saunders-roe-sr53-i4355.htm

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

With apologies for the late post as only just seen the thread - we have a 7/8 Comet replica as part of The Burberry Project - we concur the aircraft was Burberry Beige (albeit some people state that as the aircraft was 'hired' and budget was limited it remained the same colour as that shown on The Orphan - ie a silver/blue) but our understanding was that the registration was in a brown not burgandy colour to contrast with the beige. Its a really difficult one, Clouston's book alludes to the beige - also the rear decking colour we werent aware of!

In any event, hats of to AZ for doing it - I must spend more money on their kits now than anyone else - at least four Moths (PLEASE do a Fox Moth in 1/72), the twintub Spit (please do a 'Grace' canopy conversion!) Hawker bipes, MB5... Basically you must be reading my mind with each new release AND you've done a blooming Jetstream! 

I'll even overlook the name 'Sky Ferret'....but only just!

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/burberry-racer.php

Well done AZ, keep it up.

Percival Prentice next please!

Best wishes

TT

Dear gentlemen,

Comet project is closed now for any other changes. I was trying to react to all your comments and references. I hope that the result will be fine for you.

It was for the first time when I had so big team of consultants. It was fine job for me, enjoying it.

TELFORD - definitely we will continue on FD-2 in 1/48 scale. And we have found hot candidate for 1/72 "Telford special", British aircraft I think never kitted before even if everybody knows it. But, wait a little bit.

We are also working on Cmelak - Czechoslovak "agrobomber" and after this plane Cessnas are coming in the end.

So, time to close office and go to the pub for some beers with my friends and refresh a little bit.

Enjoy your weekend.

Jan

Edited by Jan Polc
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jan Polc said:

[...] we have found hot candidate for 1/72 "Telford special", British aircraft I think never kitted before even if everybody knows it. 

Let the speculation begin... I reckon it'll be a Spitfire III.

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Dear gentlemen,

1/72 "Telford special", British aircraft I think never kitted before even if everybody knows it.

Jan

You're not missing this part of Jan's post are you guys, a Spitfire is a Spitfire even if an odd mark I'd think & I'm sure someone has done a FB.4, apart from the Aeroclub one, albeit ages ago.

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

You're not missing this part of Jan's post are you guys, a Spitfire is a Spitfire even if an odd mark I'd think & I'm sure someone has done a FB.4, apart from the Aeroclub one, albeit ages ago.

Steve.

Spoilsport. :D

• Haha 1