KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

On 1/2/2018 at 5:27 PM, Beard said:

spitfire-Mk-vc-1500x760.jpg

Just couldn't resist:

It seems to become fashionable to reverse the relative brightness of dark green re dark earth (even if it should be RAAF earth brown),  the colors just look so wrong.

Now back to the topic, I am looking forward to their Spit V.c

7 hours ago, occa said:

Just couldn't resist:

It seems to become fashionable to reverse the relative brightness of dark green re dark earth (even if it should be RAAF earth brown),  the colors just look so wrong.

I believe that's RAAF Foliage Green.

• Like 1

I believe it may be meant to be Foliage Green, but beware of minefield.  (Input large panel of flashing lights.)   Foliage Green has been much argued over, and I am unsure whether the final word has yet been said.  It is my belief that at least some of the confusion has been over the term Medium Green.  Apparently (according to sources I found credible) when US aircraft were first delivered to the Australians they had been painted using USAAF Medium Green, which is darker than RAF Dark Green, so RAAF Foliage Green was developed to match this (or do even better).  The British colours were found to be too light for the tropical environment, so the darker Earth Brown was also developed, giving us the darker combination of Foliage Green and Earth Brown.   Whether the green was still darker than the brown I'd rather not venture an opinion on.

However, this is may be a somewhat dated account, as I know that some aspects of it have been argued against.    It isn't clear why the US should have used USAAF Medium Green, which some people regard as being a close match for the British colour anyway.  Perhaps they used USAAF Dark Green?  Whether this version is quite right or not, some Australian warbirds (including at least one Wirraway) have been painted using the current USAF Medium Green which is lighter (and sicklier) than the wartime shade, and I believe is may be what you are seeing here.  However, I don't think it is quite sickly enough.  Others have been painted in a more convincing (to me) darker shade.

Perhaps Peter Malone or Ed Russell  or other Australian members could clarify matters?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personal question gentlemen - I was asked to design decals for really big Dakota in 1/32 scale. I am looking for technical stencils diagrams. Is there anybody who can help me with this? My references are silent. Thank you beforehand. Jan

3 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Personal question gentlemen - I was asked to design decals for really big Dakota in 1/32 scale. I am looking for technical stencils diagrams. Is there anybody who can help me with this? My references are silent. Thank you beforehand. Jan

Hi Jan

The man to speak to is Dakota Dave of the IPMS (UK) DC-3/C-47 Group. Details HERE if he can't help you then I'll be amazed.

5 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Hi Jan,

You could maybe also contact Erwin Stam at the Aviation Megastore? If he doesn't know it himself he very likely knows someone who does :-)

Peter

PS: looking forward to the new K-4 and G-12!

• Like 1

Dear gentlemen,

we are working on our project for this year or promised for 2017 and delayed....

Master model for Bf 109K is ready now and we work on moulds. Included are K-4, K-6 and K-14 versions. So stay tuned.

We are also working on completely new project of British twin engined aircraft, completely surprise as we were not talking about before.

DSC00512.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

Un(beau)fortunately not....

(You) Brigand!

Or a Hornet...

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Master model for Bf 109K is ready now and we work on moulds. Included are K-4, K-6 and K-14 versions. So stay tuned.

First of all, this is great news, and a most welcome release!.

I'll buy a dozen when it's available (GoModelling Vienna? Moson Hungary?) to use up all those aftermarket decals I've amassed in recent years.

While I am familiar with the K4 type, can anyone of the 'experts' explain, what the K6 and K14 versions are?

Greetings from Vienna

I'm no expert, Roman, but I believe neither the K-6 nor the K-14 saw any service. I will be interested in the K-4 version, though, as I too have amassed quite a few decals for it over the years.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

On 13/02/2018 at 1:58 PM, Pedro1 said:

Hi Jan,

You could maybe also contact Erwin Stam at the Aviation Megastore? If he doesn't know it himself he very likely knows someone who does :-)

Peter

PS: looking forward to the new K-4 and G-12!

Thanks Pedro. That was the other name I was trying to remember as him and Dave have both recently helped a friend of mine. Top Guys.