KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

It didn't, it had counter-rotating props. Contra-props have one input and the prop mechanism drives the two propellers in opposite directions.

counter-rotating props are independently driven from each other and rotate in opposite directions.

Also, it was a double engine, which is why Armstrong Siddeley Motors and Fairey Aviation Co named it and referred to it as Double Mamba.  It was considered a single unit fitted to the aircraft, and could be removed as such, to remove one Mamba section was a major undertaking.

Many 'double' engines were derived from singles and joined by a common gearbox. 

Edited by 71chally

26 minutes ago, Beard said:

There are, however, lots of references to a Griffon-powered MB6. Here, for example:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31368.0

and here: 

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31581.15

Apparently, there is a description and drawing in an autobiograph of Sir James Martin by Sarah Sharman. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-James-Martin-Authorised-Martin-Baker/dp/1852605510 (if anyone fancies spending 39 quid to see the drawing.

Given the gravitas of the publications that mention the MB.6 as being a single seated jet, I'm disinclined to agree with those forums I'm afraid.

I have read the James Martin book, but it was a library copy sometime ago. 

The delta version, with the cockpit in the delta tail fin, looks very similar to a Gloster project, so I wonder if the two studies were mixed up at some stage.

Edited by 71chally

16 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The delta version, with the cockpit in the delta tail fin, looks very similar to a Gloster project, so I wonder if the two studies were mixed up at some stage.

The revised version of British Secret Projects:Jet Fighters since 1950 discusses just one Martin Baker jet project to the F.43/46 requirement and states: "This had a delta wing, but putting the pilot in a pressurised cockpit faired into the base of the fin was quite unusual, though having much in common with early Lippisch ideas in Germany", the book makes no mention of an M.B.6 jet.

14 hours ago, Wez said:

The revised version of British Secret Projects:Jet Fighters since 1950 discusses just one Martin Baker jet project to the F.43/46 requirement and states: "This had a delta wing, but putting the pilot in a pressurised cockpit faired into the base of the fin was quite unusual, though having much in common with early Lippisch ideas in Germany", the book makes no mention of an M.B.6 jet.

There's a revised version?

15 hours ago, Wez said:

I've seen the 'MB6' epitaph ascribed to several MB projects.The Delta was certainly shown as a project at Farnborough in 1948.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1948/1948 - 1550.html

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1948/1948 - 1581.html

I have also seen this referred to as the MB7. I suspect neither were officially applied. In Secret Projects 35-50, Buttler mentions several un-numbered MB projects - the tank buster design, a 1930s twin seat fighter, a twin boom prop fighter and a twin boom jet fighter and what he describes as the MB6 - a 1945 fighter with a cigar shaped fuselage, nose intake and two skids instead of undercarraige.

The 1950+ book refers to the Delta just as the F43/46 design

The Gloster P.275 design  was similar but not identical

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Jan's original reference to the 'MB-6' said 'two seater', which doesn't seem to fit any of the designs being discussed as the possible MB 6 (note missing hyphen). There was reference some time ago on the Secret Projects forum to this little beast, however:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40933081@N04/5233569371/

Which is a contraprop, a twin-seater...

Secret Projects page

Which, as far as I can tell, is a proper 'what if' as in 'what if James Martin had decided to design a two-seat push-pull aircraft with contraprops'.  Or this may not be what Jan's referring to at all...

On 9/11/2017 at 5:08 PM, Gene K said:

I'm trying to decipher from this thread whether or not KP has/will reissue the RV MiG-21 line. If so, why?

Gene,

Go to this thread where it explains that the "new" KP MiG-21s are essentially the RV kits with some minor tweaks. Unfortunately the grossly overdone rivets are still ... well ... overdone, so many are passing on the KP  kits awaiting the Eduard 2018 release.

Hope that answers your question. :D

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Gentlemen, let me explain, what aircraft is our MB-6... We were inspired on one what if forum, where it is described together with some "operational history" and profiles....

See the photos of prototype.....

Gene K - do you think that change of the kit from some 60 parts to 120 parts and new fuselage mean minor tweaks? Talking about our MiG-21 line.....

DSC09696.jpgDSC09717.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Gene K - do you think that change of the kit from some 60 parts to 120 parts and new fuselage mean minor tweaks? Talking about our MiG-21 line.....

Jan,

That aspect is wonderful! The Box Art is wonderful. The Instructions and color guides are impressive. The price is terrific. Your support and participation is much appreciated. I've ordered all the latest boxings.

However, since you asked for my opinion ... changes on the original 60 parts - the main parts of the kit - are minor tweaks. To me, the heavy handed RV rivets are most off-putting ... even under coats of paint. I suppose some folks like them.

In that regard, perhaps KP efforts would have been better spent tweaking the fine original KP MiG-21 kits ... which is what I assumed when I first heard about the "new" KP kits.

Again, Jan, thanks for all you do for us and KP/AZ. 

Gene K

Gene K - riveting is always problem. As the modelling public is divided into two parts - who like and doesn´t like rivets.

We used RV base for MiGs thanks to the fact that we had nice chance to buy moulds. Well, we changed whole fuselage, added some parts, so we call these kits as "New Tools" even if it can be a little bit confusing. But it also helps to stop another confusion - not to mix this kit with original MiG-21MF by KP (old) released in nineties....

My opinion is, that our MiG-21 is a good base for quick and not problematic builds, ideal for collections of the type. Result gives satisfactory Fishbed. I am sure, that next Eduard release will cover much more minor differencies in between various series, will provide more wide pallette of weapons etc. So if you are really expert in Fishbeds like Gabor f. i., your choice is clear - wait for Eduard. But if you just want Fishbed in your collection, well you can take ours and will not make mistake.

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind words addressed to KP/AZ and keep modelling. :-)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jan Polc said:

Gentlemen, let me explain, what aircraft is our MB-6... We were inspired on one what if forum, where it is described together with some "operational history" and profiles....

See the photos of prototype.....

DSC09696.jpg

Looks like a fat Cavalier Mustang! 😅😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great Jan and really looking forward to this one. I am pleased to see that this diagram confirms that a full suite of stencil markings will be included on the decal sheet. 

The co-operation with Freightdog models is interesting? Will this kit feature the excellent decal sheet that came with the earlier Freightdog kit? If so, that’s not a bad thing from what I can tell. 

Just noticed that the wingtip armament differs between the Firestreak on XD145 to some other type on XD151. Can you please advise what the latter missile is? 

I trust that this will prove to be a popular buy at Telford. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave. 

Rabbit L. - in fact, they told me rockets for the first prototype and wing tip pods (not correct, I am lacking the right word) for the second one. I was just drawing... I will ask for the info.

To the Freightdog - we had long interview with Colin last Telford. There is the first result. We based our kit on his resin one, made a lot of changes needed for injection production. Also parts for cockpit etc. were added. You will meet this plastic in Colin boxes later. And, it is not the last project we hope.

These decals are also based on Colin artwork, we have to thank for providing it. This base will be used in another boxes.

To the price of SR 53 and MB 6 - we recognised  last year, that beer in UK is pretty expensive..... So some 50 pounds I think.., (joking) Expect some normal reasonable price cca 15GBP.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So am I right in thinking this the SR.53 was a possible alternative to the interceptor versions of the F-104? That would suggest that what-if markings could include ROCAF (Taiwan), JASDF, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Jordan, Pakistan, and Turkey.

15 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

So am I right in thinking this the SR.53 was a possible alternative to the interceptor versions of the F-104? That would suggest that what-if markings could include ROCAF (Taiwan), JASDF, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Jordan, Pakistan, and Turkey.

The SR.177 was a follow-on to the SR.53, and would have been an F-104 competitor.

23 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

Rabbit L. - in fact, they told me rockets for the first prototype and wing tip pods (not correct, I am lacking the right word) for the second one. I was just drawing... I will ask for the info.

To the Freightdog - we had long interview with Colin last Telford. There is the first result. We based our kit on his resin one, made a lot of changes needed for injection production. Also parts for cockpit etc. were added. You will meet this plastic in Colin boxes later. And, it is not the last project we hope.

These decals are also based on Colin artwork, we have to thank for providing it. This base will be used in another boxes.

To the price of SR 53 and MB 6 - we recognised  last year, that beer in UK is pretty expensive..... So some 50 pounds I think.., (joking) Expect some normal reasonable price cca 15GBP.

You guys are working with Freightdog? AWESOME NEWS! Do the P.1154 next.

• Like 1

Procopius - I have to ask Colin in November. If it is free, why not. I can promise we will publish press release after Telford to inform you about planned kits from Freightdog line. And about Hurricane.

• Like 5