KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sharkmouths look good on anything.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous remark, he's not wrong you know.

But an SR.177 would be great too!

I can only envisage a sharkmouth on the 177, I think they can be used a bit willy nilly.

If I were to keep this grounded, I think the only scheme other than what it was painted in would have been an RAE / ETPS affair or at the most, company demonstrator colours for SR.177 - call me narrow minded!:o

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

I can only envisage a sharkmouth on the 177, I think they can be used a bit willy nilly.

If I were to keep this grounded, I think the only scheme other than what it was painted in would have been an RAE / ETPS affair or at the most, company demonstrator colours for SR.177 - call me narrow minded!:o

With respect Sir I beg to differ. Even the Molar Marauder looked good in a freaked out way.

What needs to be remembered is that no 2 seat SR.177 was mooted AFAIK. In my world the SR.53 was ordered in small numbers for the Lightning OCU. Lightning being the official name for SR.177 of course. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

That's a misapprehension -- what you're experiencing is inversion, caused by seeing too few sharkmouths. 

36 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

With respect Sir I beg to differ. Even the Molar Marauder looked good in a freaked out way.

210% correct.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Procopius said:

Sharkmouths look good on anything.

I don't know. Be a bit of a shock to meet a blind date with one (I mean with a real shark-mouth, not a tattoo; certainly make a goodnight kiss a rather dangerous adventure - well, more than usual). Frankly I was hoping for the Sperrin (I'm only half-joking), but an SR.53 would be nice. Regarding the two-seater, piston-engined aircraft with contra-props, the Short Sturgeon is a good answer (and I'd love to see one done). The Gannet doesn't count because it had the Mamba turbo-prop engine. An Eagle-powered Wyvern would be lovely, but sadly it's not a two-seater. Okay, how about this... a Shackleton MR.3 with only the pilot and co-pilot included? I know, that doesn't count, but I can dream, can't I? All right, then how about a Blackburn Y.A7 or Y.A8?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional pearls of wisdom added.

So gentlemen, it was quick now. Spaddad is the winner. The second plane is MB-6 project. Please contact me with your postal contact spaddad... Congrats.

• Like 1

Is there going to be any way for overseas modellers to order these on release as there was for the MB-5? Or are we going to have to wait till after the usual suspects have run out of stock?  By the way, I thought we were promised an MB-3.

29 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Now I'm confused, as far as I was aware the Martin Baker MB.6 was single jet powered delta winged fighter project.

AFAIK, it wasn't a delta, but otherwise, yeah.

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:59 PM, charlie_c67 said:

@Jan Polc If you want some Whif ideas, the SR.177 garnered interest from the RAF, RN, Germany and even Japan(!) perhaps that'd be a source for colour schemes. I'd imagine they're be similar to the Lightning squadron schemes for RAF examples, Dark Sea Grey over white for FAA examples, German colours may be Basaultgrau and Lichtgrau and I'd imagine all over metal for Japan? Though others more in the know might have a better idea. Perhaps with a pair of wingtip Firestreak or even (whisper it) Fireflash missiles might be an idea, but they might look too big and ungainly, you'd have to check.

Well, the SR.177 would have been purchased by Germany and Japan instead of the F-104s that they actually got. Imagine an SR.177 in the F-104 Marineflieger scheme. Now maybe that also means that the Italians would have bought the aircraft instead of the F-104S and you have all the special Italian F-104 schemes to consider as well.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:52 PM, Learstang said:

I don't know. Be a bit of a shock to meet a blind date with one (I mean with a real shark-mouth, not a tattoo; certainly make a goodnight kiss a rather dangerous adventure - well, more than usual). Frankly I was hoping for the Sperrin (I'm only half-joking), but an SR.53 would be nice. Regarding the two-seater, piston-engined aircraft with contra-props, the Short Sturgeon is a good answer (and I'd love to see one done). The Gannet doesn't count because it had the Mamba turbo-prop engine. An Eagle-powered Wyvern would be lovely, but sadly it's not a two-seater. Okay, how about this... a Shackleton MR.3 with only the pilot and co-pilot included? I know, that doesn't count, but I can dream, can't I? All right, then how about a Blackburn Y.A7 or Y.A8?

Regards,

Jason

Technically, the Gannet was a twin engine aircraft. The engine was a double-Mamba, with each unit driving the contra-prop through a combining gearbox. One of the Mamba's could be shut down in flight to conserve fuel.

I'm going from memory now, but there was a drawing in a reputable projects book (Secret Projects?) many years back which showed a jet delta, also the highly regarded Francis Mason The British Fighter mentions such a project, both as the MB.6.

However the official biography of James Martin mentions a straight wing single seat jet fighter as the MB.6, a projected development of which seems to be the MB.7.

Apart from some fantasists posts on other forums I've never seen reference before to the MB.6 as a single engined piston fighter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

Technically, the Gannet was a twin engine aircraft. The engine was a double-Mamba, with each unit driving the contra-prop through a combining gearbox. One of the Mamba's could be shut down in flight to conserve fuel.

But as previously mentioned, it wasn't piston engined, or contra-prop

7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Yes, I'm aware of the 'double' nature of the Mamba engine. My point was that it was turboprop-engined, not piston-engined.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Now I'm confused, as far as I was aware the Martin Baker MB.6 was single jet powered delta winged fighter project.

The one being spoken of here, sounds like an MB.5 projected development?

This is the only image I could find of a jet-powered MB6:

36336608524_c67ea180ec.jpg

There are, however, lots of references to a Griffon-powered MB6. Here, for example:

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31368.0

and here: 

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31581.15

Apparently, there is a description and drawing in an autobiograph of Sir James Martin by Sarah Sharman. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-James-Martin-Authorised-Martin-Baker/dp/1852605510 (if anyone fancies spending 39 quid to see the drawing.

I Suspect we're looking at a real what-if here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Yes, I'm aware of the 'double' nature of the Mamba engine. My point was that it was turbo-prop engined, not piston-engined.

Regards,

Jason

Actually, the Mamba engine wasn't a double. It was used as a single unit in the Balliol and Seamew. The gannet powerplant used two Mamba's connected through a gearbox thus creating the "Double Mamba."