KP/AZ central discussion, questions & answers

Jan Polc

Hi to all. We have got the first plastic parts for Hampdens.... Moulds were cleaned, repaired and polished. I have to say, that surface details and rivets look excellent...... Stay tuned.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

Hi to all. We have got the first plastic parts for Hampdens.... Moulds were cleaned, repaired and polished. I have to say, that surface details and rivets look excellent...... Stay tuned.

Will you be producing a canopy mask set for this kit?

57 minutes ago, Jan Polc said:

Canopy masks for Hampdens, I think not. But one never knows.....

Alas! Well, I hope you do -- the big bomber clear parts are always a chore to mask. 

Hi Procopius...., we had quick meeting and the result is that masks for Hampdens will be released. Thank you, I have to design it......... :-)

• Like 7

Design of Hampden TB camouflages started today...., two British and one Russian version....... Stay tuned, preview will follow next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jan Polc said:

Design of Hampden TB camouflages started today...., two British and one Russian version....... Stay tuned, preview will follow next week.

Hoping very much one will be the well illustrated & documented 489(NZ) sqn example..... :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see which you choose, though personally I would always use Temperate Sea Scheme - or the much discussed White, of course!

I understand - but can't swear that this is correct - that the Cosford example is to be finished in the green/brown found on the airframe, but I believe this is the remains of its original Bomber Command scheme.

I'll be honest Jan, if you guys were to produce a competitively priced masking set for each of your products, you'd have a lot of grateful customers. I'm currently having a headache trying to mask a P-40E without much success due to unclear framing. It can make or break how a model looks sometimes!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I'll be honest Jan, if you guys were to produce a competitively priced masking set for each of your products, you'd have a lot of grateful customers. I'm currently having a headache trying to mask a P-40E without much success due to unclear framing. It can make or break how a model looks sometimes!

Completely agree. Often the existence or lack thereof of a masking set is what makes my decision to buy a kit.

17 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I would agree here. I managed to find a paint mask specifically for the AZ/Legato P-40E, but probably a year after the kits were released.

I shouldn't grumble, I ruined that kit anyway and have two more in the stash; the mask will be tried on one of those (I think the brand is something like 'pmask'; it looks, erm, questionable, but I'm an optimist :) ). 

Another really small and excellent accessory that AZ used to produce:

Bf-109 G and K spinner swirls decals. Product code: AZA 7023.

These are very good. I have many of your 109's. With the K coming on board soon, would there be a chance of a reprint of these Jan?

Best regards

TonyT

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Bf-109 G and K spinner swirls decals. Product code: AZA 7023.

These are very good. I have many of your 109's. With the K coming on board soon, would there be a chance of a reprint of these Jan?

Best regards

TonyT

Seems like a good idea, I'd buy some.

4 hours ago, Andy G said:

Hello,

Are there any plans to re-run the Spitfire Tr.9 kit?  I'm hoping to do the Grace spitfire then and now.

Regards

Andy

I suspect that the Grace two-seater does not have the same arrangement as the original Tr.9.  This is certainly worth checking before you start one.

33 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I suspect that the Grace two-seater does not have the same arrangement as the original Tr.9.  This is certainly worth checking before you start one.

Graham's correct.  ML407 has both cockpits on the same level under standard canopies, rather than having the instructor's canopy perched up on the rear fuselage top decking.  It's more like the wartime Russian conversions in that respect.

I believe the Tr.8 and Tr.9s all have the cockpits in the same place.  The front cockpit is around 13.5in forward of usual position so fuel redistributed.  The Grace type have the rear seat lowered, but not such good visibility.

Presumably the wartime two seaters all retained the standard front seat position.

Edited by malpaso

Thanks for the responses.  My understanding is that whilst the Russian two seaters have canopies more like the Grace spitfire the cockpits are in different locations, ML407 being standard TR9 in that respect, but yes something would have to be done about the rear canopy.