Airfix Seaprite Some bite your backside

RNZAF Seasprites were FS26440 Light Gull Gray. Gunze makes a very accurate version (H325, or H315 which is the high gloss version), but I'm sure there's plenty of other manufacturers out there with this colour as well.

Also, ours didn't have the fairings on the aft of the MLG legs, although it might be a bit late to do anything about that now.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2016 at 11:22 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nearer Medium Sea Grey if I remember correctly.

I would check that the correct grey is given in the Model Alliance instructions for the main airframe. When I built mine I followed the painting instructions to the letter and the decals promptly vanished when I applied them. Upon investigation, it transpired that these New Zealand cabs were a very pale grey, much paler than Model Alliance recommend in their instructions. It maybe that the 1/72 instructions are OK but I would strongly advise you to check this out. This happened to me a week before Scale Modelworld and I remember I was not a happy bunny at the time!

Martian

Oh boy, I wish I had read this before painting and putting on the decals so what now?

Do I strip it or wot?

This build is kicking my backside at every turn.  Martin did you find that even though the walkway decals said 72 they were in fact 1/48 and didn't fit do I ended up using the airfix walkways I tried trimming the blocks by the tramission tunnel but it still doesn't look right.

41.jpg

There is a roundel and RNZN markings and the fuselage band in this picture.  HONEST

42.jpg

Rodders

EDIT just looked at the decals and the do look darker on the paper. also shown the 1/48 walkways

43.jpg

• Like 1

There is an alternative to the MA set, I know I've looked at mine & thought I'll probably end up going this way, now I'm sure of it. Oldmodels decals here in New Zealand does decals for Kiwi subjects that are researched locally & from what I have seen perform OK. Have a look well to the bottom of this page, you'll find a sheet for a SH-2F in 1/72. The colours look rather better than the MA ones to my eye at least.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There is an alternative to the MA set, I know I've looked at mine & thought I'll probably end up going this way, now I'm sure of it. Olsmodels decals here in New Zealand does decals for Kiwi subjects that are researched locally & from what I have seen perform OK. Have a look well to the bottom of this page, you'll find a sheet for a SH-2F in 1/72. The colours look rather better than the MA ones to my eye at least.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I have ordered a set $17 with postage by the time they get here I may well have got my mojo back on this one

So until then its heading to the shelf of doom.

Rodders

• Like 1