1/72 SPAD XIII double build

Thanks for the nice feedback Bruce.

Found a wee bit of time this afternoon for the Revell.

The screen is on, the exhausts fitted, top wing in place and we have rigging :yahoo:

I added a little PLW but no major weathering.

(pics can be clicked on to zoom in)

32783947276_02534cee7f_c.jpgRevell-SPAD-rigged by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Still to be done is the undercarriage and some details around the tail and then I think it'll be pretty much there.

• Like 4

Thanks Howlindawg I bought one of those gizmos.  Come on postie.  Our two dogs give the postie what for when he rings the doorbell.   Pictures of the little darlings here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235013370-smer-172-curtiss-sc-1-seahawk/

The plane is looking terrific. 

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 1

I noticed that on a lot of the reference shots there was something similar to this shown which seems to be reinforcing the struts & rigging.

Some seem to be aluminium while some seem to be a mix of wood and metal. It's not present on the Revell kit so I added some.

Can anyone shed some light as to what this actually is and what it would have been made from originally?

This one is bulkier than most but it's the clearest pic.

32453221360_fcb57ac58d_c.jpgSpad_XIII_replica_of_Giancarlo_Zanardo by Martin Fay, on Flickr

• Like 1

The rearmost vertical strut in your pic is the aileron actuator. It's attached to a hinged triangular section at the lower end which is operated by push rod from the cockpit.

153.jpg

At top left you can just see the bottom of the rod which runs up just aft of the rear strut and attaches to the aileron actuator arm.

154.jpg

I have never seen those 4 horizontal pieces on any pic, either period or repro. I'd suggest they have been added by the current owner for some reason, or may have been something peculiar to the particular aircraft represented by this reproduction. No idea what they are or do.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so the rigging is done, the aileron control gear has been added and I made up a tail skid to replace the original that I managed to break off and loose at some point.

33115666962_768d433ed2_c.jpgDSCF0096 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

33271240415_e38accdc93_c.jpgDSCF0097 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

33143116851_99e5191b1e_c.jpgDSCF0083-cropped by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I think that's the little Revell done - time to get it into a case and then finish off the Eduard!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Vadim said:

Hey, it's a lovely work! can you post some pictures with a rigging? Would be useful for my Swordfish, :) thanks.

It's probably easier to look at the rigging pics on page-3 of my swordfish build, WIP is >HERE< .

I used the same technique on this build which meant I could complete the rigging before fitting the top wing.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

As always there's a few bits that I look at that I could have done better and some bits that I just got plain wrong, but overall I'm really pleased with this one.

It's now safely mounted up in a Master Tools display case that it just barely squeezes in to.

32990949410_1a6b0ebbdf.jpg
SPAD-Revell-Mounted by Martin Fay, on Flickr

My 4 year old daughter loves it and has asked me to show her how to build one to play with, so I've now added a Hasegawa Eggplane to the stash.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Moving along at my usual breakneck speed work is underway on painting the remaining components for Nungesser's aircraft.

This time around I'm using the oil paint and sponge technique for the wooden components.

33591362725_46c1c8dc4b_c.jpg
SPAD-Eduard---prop by Martin Fay, on Flickr

In between coats I've been applying decals with varying degrees on success.

I'm having particular problems with the decal on the turtledeck which has wrinkled on the compound curves.

Some surgery may be required as I'm not convinced the Humbrol Decalfix is up to the job.

33206939970_ed89f0f287_c.jpg
SPAD-Eduard---Decals by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Hmmm... that light and macro lens shows up all the flaws. :unsure:

• Like 2