1/72 SPAD XIII double build

As my last build, a Fokker Dr.1, drew to a close I found myself really looking forward to finally getting stuck into this one.

(I'll post an RFI for the Fokker over the weekend when I can take some pics in natural light)

I'll be doing a tandem build of two 1/72 SPAD XIII.

Namely the Revell XIII C-1 and the Eduard Profipack XIII late version.

Both will be finished in French markings.

29614791133_a775dc10c6_c.jpg
Spad-Double-Build by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Here's the Revell - (the original tooling was 1963 apparently - it's older than I am!!!) pretty low part count, lots of flash, cheap as chips.

There's not much in the line of detail so I think it'll need a little help in that regard.

29613970014_9ec510d56f_c.jpg
Revell-Spad by Martin Fay, on Flickr

And here's the Eduard - (2003 but updated with new parts in 2009) Lovely clean sprues, nicely detailed for 1/72, clear parts and photoetch details for the radiators etc...

Yummy!

29947968670_86c032e974_c.jpg
Eduard-Spad by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Both are eye wateringly tiny so I'll be making use of the magnifier again. :)

Oh, and this will be my first attempt at using Photoetch; what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 8

Beer sorted.....

that Eduard one does look good...I very nearly bought one a while back but having built the Meikraft effort I decided discretion was the better part of valour. And I still have the Pegasus SPAD VII to build anyway....

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for checking in Fellas, welcome aboard.

Very predictably I'll kick off with the cockpit.

So this is what's provided by Revell in the way of a cockpit interior.

30271485581_1234c89979_c.jpg
Revell-Spad---Interior by Martin Fay, on Flickr

This flash encrusted, ejector pin toting, ugg boot wearing blob is pretty much it.

30271485451_8c937144e4_c.jpg
Revell-Spad-Pilot by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Since I won't be fitting a pilot to either model clearly some alternative is required.

Cue my first foray into scratch building and an opportunity to try out some supplies I picked up at the IPMS show in Dublin last week.

30241069932_1f19b8da03_c.jpg
Milliput by Martin Fay, on Flickr

• Like 3

I started out with some 1mm plasticard, blagged from my brothers stock, to make a floor and fashioned a seat back from .5mm styrene sheet from the LMS.

30271485381_64469ee6bd_c.jpg

Revell-SPAD---Scratch by Martin Fay, on Flickr

After a surprising (to me ) amount of time I've ended up with the following.

Now just waiting for the milliput seat pad to dry out before progressing further.

30241070122_909939b307_c.jpg
Revell-SPAD---Cockpit by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Judging from those pics, a little more fine sanding is required on that styrene; so back to it!

• Like 3

To the untrained eye it may appear that there hasn't been a lot of progress.

Primarily, this would be because there hasn't been a lot of progress. :unsure:

So I've been plodding along with the Eduard cockpit and simultaneously trying to fabricate something acceptable for the Revell.

The Eduard is a thing of microscopic beauty featuring tiny dials with PE brass bezels.

I'm not really doing it justice but am taking my time and enjoying the process.

29913474724_b0d49e645f_c.jpg
Eduard-SPAD---cockpit by Martin Fay, on Flickr

30544032795_868a61c95f_c.jpg
Eduard-SPAD-int by Martin Fay, on Flickr

• Like 2

I'm guessing that the object on the floor to the right of the seat is the oil tank and that it's plumbed to the rear of the engine.

The Eduard instructions show this plumbing in Alu colour but I'm thinking it should probably be copper; any thoughts?

I love the little details like the brass bezeled compass on the floor, in front of the joystick.

I really must get some decent pics before closing it up as this'll probably be almost impossible to see when the model is complete.

Oil tank and belts now done.

This shot shows the wee compass better than the earlier one.

Edit: (Doh! - looking at Ians pics above that's not the compass - fuel gauge perhaps?)

Cocktail stick shown for scale.

29915516444_26b30ba034_b.jpg
Eduard-SPAD-office by Martin Fay, on Flickr

• Like 4

Great project, Sir.

You've done excellent work getting a cockpit together for the old Revell kit.

The Eduard SPAD is a real treat.

When you put the lower wing on, be careful. It is easy to press too tight, and get anhedral in the lower wing. Might be advisable to check the mating surfaces of the lower wing upper surfaces to the fuselage.

• Like 1

Some nice micro building going on there. Top work!

The less to be said about the Revell kit out of the box the better. I had to look hard to find the pilot within that flash encrusted blob... should have just recycled the wretched thing and done your bit for the planet :whistle:

Still your scratch build additions look sharp and should turn that situation around somewhat. If it was me I'd just concentrate on that lovely Eduard kit :D

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 1

Looking forward to this double build.

I had a crack at the original Revell kit doing an Eddie Rickenbacker version......blobby pilot thing and all.

I'll try and add a pic or two

IMG_6604_zps1duvb1bi.jpg

IMG_6607_zpskxpre9fd.jpg

IMG_6609_zpsrcxsligq.jpg

IMG_6612_zpsexjt82qx.jpg

Good luck

Edited by Winenut
just to add the photos
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Old Man said:

The Eduard SPAD is a real treat.

When you put the lower wing on, be careful. It is easy to press too tight, and get anhedral in the lower wing. Might be advisable to check the mating surfaces of the lower wing upper surfaces to the fuselage.

Thanks for the tip.

The parts are so thin and flexible I can see how this might happen.

I'll pay careful attention as I progress!

17 hours ago, Squibby said:

Some nice micro building going on there. Top work!

The less to be said about the Revell kit out of the box the better. I had to look hard to find the pilot within that flash encrusted blob... should have just recycled the wretched thing and done your bit for the planet :whistle:

Still your scratch build additions look sharp and should turn that situation around somewhat. If it was me I'd just concentrate on that lovely Eduard kit :D

I must admit - The Revell kit really is pretty poor by comparison.

I look at it like this.

If it turns out really dreadful then I've only lost €4.99.

I can always paint it pink and pop a tiny Princess Sofia into it for my 3 1/2 year old daughter. ;)

13 hours ago, Winenut said:

Looking forward to this double build.

I had a crack at the original Revell kit doing an Eddie Rickenbacker version......blobby pilot thing and all.

I had actually stumbled across your build while looking for inspiration for my own build.

Was very tempted to give the 94th Aero Sqn liveries a go... perhaps someday in a larger scale.

I really like how yours turned out - it gives me hope for the Revell. :)

• Like 1

A little more progress this evening.

I tidied up the interior and joined the fuselage.

So now I think I really do have a compass!

30268197200_753d83b090_b.jpgEduard-SPAD-Fuselage1 by Martin Fay, on Flickr

I've also let loose with the oil paint for the wood effect on the upper part of the cockpit so that'll probably need a few days to dry before proceeding with the instrument panel. There's some filling and sanding to be taken care of in the meantime and there's always the Revell if I need something to do.

• Like 3

Nice work on that interior.  If you need more references of a XIII try the Memorial Flight site. They have pics of their restoration posted which I found extremely useful when building my Meikraft effort.

Ian

• Like 1