Japanese F-35 rollout

Slater

That is just rubbish!  Why bother as your opponents will probably shoot at you beyond visual range anyway. Stick a nice coloured red spot on it I am sure it must be illegal anyway. Red White and blue D types for the RAF/FAA

Firefox was even stealthier than the F-35, but it still wore red stars.

And the Russian AF uses some camo schemes, perhaps they know something the West don't?

3 hours ago, Britman said:

That is just rubbish!  Why bother as your opponents will probably shoot at you beyond visual range anyway. Stick a nice coloured red spot on it I am sure it must be illegal anyway. Red White and blue D types for the RAF/FAA

Nope. UK aircraft have grey roundels, the same as everyone else. The only production aircraft that has coloured markings (as far as I'm aware) is the CO's jet from VFA-101.

2 hours ago, malpaso said:

Firefox was even stealthier than the F-35, but it still wore red stars.

And the Russian AF uses some camo schemes, perhaps they know something the West don't?

As there's no proper stealth aircraft in service in the Russian air force, it's not surprising that these use standard camo schemes

4 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

As there's no proper stealth aircraft in service in the Russian air force, it's not surprising that these use standard camo schemes

Giorgio, I was joking.  And when Soviet planes were all shades of grey the Western ones were camo!

But then again most of the current Western planes aren't stealthy either so the same argument would apply to the miserable grey Typhoons et al.  It's just fashion - air-superiority grey is the new black!

Cheers 

Will 

Red tends to show much brighter on IR systems than other colors (EX IR system operator) that's why pretty much everybody has gone to gray-on-gray markings where it's been feasible.

Do the Russians know something we don't, possibly so, but in this case I don't think that matters. 

It's not rubbish, it's survival.

• 2 weeks later...

The colourings these days do seem drab, specially when you see some of the more colourful Russian schemes. But I wonder if the colouring itself has anything to do with the Radar Absorbent material and paints used on Western aircraft?