Applying Primer by Airbrush

Denford

Reading postings on Primers, it appears that almost everyone applies them from a 'Rattle Can': Halfords, Mr Surfacer or similar.

I find 'Rattle Cans' for any application (I'm a 1/72 scale only modeller) too 'fierce'. Even the smallest parts need a large sheet of newspaper and spray at arms length!

- Does anyone have direct, personal (even unfavourable) experience of primers applied by airbrush in a 'precision manner'.

- Alclad offer various primers, presumably for airbrush application.  Are these suitable for non-Alclad products, specifically acrylics?

Hi Denford

I  use Tamiya primer decanted into a jar (to de-gas) then thinned with Mr Color self levelling thinners. It stinks a little so ventilation and a spray booth are highly recommended. But the results are an even coverage of fine primer .

edge

• Like 1

I use the same method as Edge states above as like you I find rattle cans a little fierce. With a thinning ratio of about 50/50 Tamiya fine grey primer works a treat and leaves a lovely smooth surface for painting into. As Edge also says it is a bit smelly so open a window. 

Ive also heard mixed reports on Akvkad primers although I have no personal experience.

Hope that helps

james

Thanks for the advice.  My intention would be to 'degass' the propellant our of doors by turning the can upside down pressing the nozzle.

The thinner: I'd have to wait for Telford to get 'Mr Colour' self levelling.  Any experience with any other thinner?

Spray pressure?  I usually go to 20psi or a little below.  Any comments

I spray decanted primers (either Tamiya Fine White, or a generic spray-can grey lacquer-based primer) through my Paasche Talon fitted with the 0.66 needle. I decant into a glass jar through a drinking straw, then stir the primer in the jar to speed up outgassing. Just takes a few minutes, and it's fun watching it apparently 'boil' as it's stirred.

You can also prime with Mr. Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr. Color Leveling Thinners.

With the 0.66 needle I generally don't need to thin it, although I tend to do so simply for peace of mind. If the weather's temperate (my airbrushing area's in the unheated/uncooled garage), I'll use lacquer/cellulose thinners, and if it's warm, I use Mr. Color Leveling Thinners.

The control is a huge bonus, as you can apply what you need rather than what's delivered by the spray-can. Cleaning out the brush requires lacquer/cellulose thinners, so make sure the seals and O-rings in the brush are PTFE.

With regard to Alclad's primers, I haven't used them, but have been hearing recently of quality-control issues affecting curing.

Spraying pressure depends hugely on the brush, needle size, and viscosity of the primer. You need enough that it'll atomise properly, but not so much that you're covered in overspray.

Edited by John Laidlaw
Spray pressure