1/72 AZ Models AH-1G "Murder Inc"

Synopsis

Hi guys,

Well I've struggled with my mojo over the summer thanks in no small part to an SR-71 build thats stalled but I think its time to get back on the horse and I can think of no better way than with one of AZs lovely little Cobra kits. 

This time I have the Murder Inc boxing of the kit: 

30146626611_2aebeb8912_b.jpg

I do like these AZ kits I have to say, I will be building this using Eduards lovely little etch set for this kit, you will also notice below there is a Pavla canopy in the image, not sure if I am going to use it yet as the standard one is actually looking in pretty good nick truth be told and I don't have that much time to get this build over the line. 

29602631963_61d928120d_b.jpg

I was hoping to have got started on this yesterday but a combination of a cat induced lack of sleep and a PH crash in my marine tank meant I lost most of yesterday, I haven't really done much with etch before so this will be my first real go at it, so I spent what little time I did get going over the instruction sheet for that. I will start cutting sprue after work tonight though and hopefully be able to post some real progress!

Cheers 

Mark

Quick update as to where I am at the moment!

The office is nearly complete, I still have one or two things to finish off and I want to drop a quick interior wash on it too, I have to admit I love the addition of the AC hoses that Stakor has added to his build of Crystal Ship but I am not sure if I have the required materials to put some together for my build. I have also started adding the etch parts to the fuselage etc although I didn't think to take any photos of that yet! 

I am not sure if anyone knows much about the Cobra in service in Vietnam but I was searching online for references to the airframe I am building here, unfortunately there aren't many as she was lost to small arms fire which ultimately ended with the loss of the crew too after she went down into a river in flood and they drowned whilst the pilot was trying to rescue his crewman, but one of the references to Murder Inc I did find was in a book called Helicopter Gunships: Deadly combat Weapon Systems by Wayne Mutza. Anyway in this book there is a small image from a difficult angle but in its caption it describes Murder Inc as being in "Heavy Hog" configuration by carrying four XM-159 Rocket Launchers! 

Now I have very little knowledge when it comes to things with whirly wings but the only other times I have heard the term Heavy Hog is with reference to UH-1's when loaded with 48 rocket tubes (2 x 24 config I believe), but this says 4 x XM-159s on a Cobra which I believe are 19 tubes per launcher, which would mean it was armed with 76 rockets, unfortunately the image in the book is side on and I can only make out 1 launcher so does anyone know if this load out is indeed a correct and viable option? As it happens I do have 2 spare XM-159s in my spares box from my TH-1G build earlier in the year so I if it is a correct and viable load out I would love to represent it. 

Anyways here's some photos of the office! 

29664936923_21a8db7ab7_b.jpg

30295453505_26cd998f74_b.jpg

30209896341_6346026906_b.jpg

30295450025_66b6c48804_b.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to get a little more time at the bench over the weekend, got some more of the etch attached and the fuselage together. Still plenty to do but at least its starting to look the right shape! 

30230757192_fabc41e388_b.jpg

Have sanded off the detail from the bottom panel too as the instructions indicated to do, I assume Cobra's of this age didn't have the various lumps and bumps on the bottom that are moulded onto this panel as standard.

30230754052_5f91d6472e_b.jpg

I am actually a little further along than this picture as the panels installed and the tails now attached too. A little more work with the filler and one or two more pieces of etch and she will be ready for primer. 

With regards to the weapon load I found an image of another Cobra carrying four XM-159s so this combined with the caption on the photo of my chosen airframe is enough for me to chose this as the load out I am going to represent.

Hopefully get an hour or two to work on her again tonight after the marine tank gets its weekly maintenance.

• Like 2

Hi Stew!

Thanks for the compliment, you know I was looking at your build thread yesterday, I have to admit I was quite intrigued by the black basing you did and was contemplating giving it a go now I have an airbrush more suited to the fine work, not sure yet though, might just chuck on a coat of the tamiya extra fine white primer and pre-shade, depends how bad the surface looks after I have finished assembly!

• Like 1

Quick update on the Cobra, managed to get some time at the bench again this weekend so I detailed the main rotor up as can be seen below, I have also added the etch to this and it awaits primer tonight, I still have to attempt putting together all the little etch parts for the tail rotor though!

29889966404_abc27f4a83_c.jpg

Also managed to get some paint down, here's a shot just after the penultimate coat of Olive drab.

30477532726_0d2bf6ed96_b.jpg

I have since finished the main colour and painted the tail fins the required Dayglo orange! Hurah for Dayglo, I do love it a bit.

• Like 4

I did give it a go with the black base Stew but I thought the Olive Drab was coming out really dark (I did have it fairly thin to go through the airbrush) and that it was going to take a while to build up the paint sufficiently to get the right shade so I ended up just giving it a quick blast of my Tamiya extra fine primer in white and reverted to traditional pre-shading. I haven't given up on the technique though and will certainly be giving it another go in the future.

Cheers

Mark

Well the paint on the fuselage is finished and I'm just waiting to ensure the gloss is fully cured before decals go on tomorrow. I've built up the etch for the tail rotor assembly.... What a pain in the backside that was! I will post a photo update tomorrow as my phones flat at the mo. 

So here's a little pic of where she sits. All decals done, they're getting sealed in tonight with a coat of gloss prior to a subtle wash. I will also be sorting the clear parts out tonight as the canopy still need painted etc, once that's done and the wash it dry I will add the armament and last few detailing, paint the black on the nose as I have just noticed I haven't done it yet then give her a coat of matt to flatten everything down!

30566912532_0e82382626_b.jpg

• Like 6

The decals have conformed nicely, good old decal fix, just have to be very careful when using on top of Tamiya acrylics, make sure there's plenty of coats of Klear on prior to decals and use the decal fix sparingly. Just popped a couple more coats of klear on just there and am waiting for that to dry before I attempt the clear parts

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I wanted to have finished this by now but my parents arrived for a visit. Luckily there isn't much left to do and today's the last day of the visit so I should be able to get her finished tomorrow evening!

Cheers

Mark

• Like 2